Sites and Sound from OTA's (May) What stands out to you?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Highlights | The Sounds of a Jets Field Workout (newyorkjets.com)

Watch this short video from Jets' OTAs. Looks awesome! The first thing that jumps out at me is the men are running full speed, having fun, and NONE of them are wearing their helmets. Just shorts and jersey.

I think this is fantastic, we can see their faces the whole time, and I'm sure the PLAYERS love running around like they're in their back yards.

What do you think? Is this a new wrinkle that Saleh's bringing to the NY Jets? I'm sure the players love it! Especially when it's hot out. So watch the short vid or go over to NewYorkJets.com and check it out!

2. JohnnyJet1222

JohnnyJet1222 Active Member

What I find exciting is the attendance and interest of the players. I think that this is a good sign of great things to come.

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am really excited about Thursday which is full media access. We should be getting lots of video and analysis on Thursday.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Colin Cowherd, who annoys me but that's a separate point, claimed on his show the other week that he always asks players, GMs, coaches, etc, "how many practices or games it takes to be able to tell if someone is going to be good or not."

Cowherd said the answer is always the same, and its shockingly low: 1 or 2 practices.

Now, Cowherd has a tendency to exaggerate, but if we are to believe him then we could safely assume by the end of these OTAs the staff and teammates will have a pretty good idea if Wilson is any good or not, right?...

barfolomew and Noam like this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Energy level, cohesiveness and player focus is quite impressive. Everyone is alert and watching what everyone else is doing. Refreshing as hell.

6. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

The key here is that the question is how long it takes to be able to tell if a player is going to be good

I think it is very easy to see if a player has what it takes. Even if they struggle with new terminology, the pace of a practice or the unfamiliar surroundings, good players tend to have a certain quality that shows through. In my very limited sporting experience, I could see in a few minutes of rugby or a few downs of football which players had something about them and which didn't.

So the Jets may well have an idea of whether or not Wilson has a chance of being a good player by the end of OTAs, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be good already. It might just mean he threw one pass that made them think he's got it.

It also makes me wonder what the coaches' faces were like the first couple of times they saw Vernon Gholston practice...

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I share your annoyance about Cowherd and I agree that we can learn a lot from first impressions but it is not always the case. Curtis Martin said near the end of the 2002 season that he and the other players used to watch Pennington in practice before he got the starting job and it was unanimous among players that there was no way Pennington could play QB at the NFL level. Martin said they used to watch him and just say no way. It was implied that he lacked the minimum arm strength to play QB. First impression is not everything especially at QB where intangibles like confidence means so much. But, we can see if he is overwhelmed or ahaead of schedule. But QB is a long development process so even if he starts out well it means only so much. To me year two is the biggest test as that is when a young QB normally if he is going to make that jump forward makes big strides. When confidence goes south because of too many hits A QB's mechanics can fall apart quite quickly which is why I really love what I hear from the new CS about supporting our new FQB. Either way am really excited about media day on Thursday and hearing the first impressions of all rookies and the new CS.

azhar80, NCJetsfan, ukjetsfan and 2 others like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good points guys. I remember watching an aging Michael Vick at Cortland the season he was here and being blown away at his talent in practice

azhar80 likes this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think after 1 or 2 practices you can see if a kid is totally lost or not. Like Hackenberg, the team probably freaked out with worry (and rightfully so). With Wilson right now, they are seeing if he has the ability or not. I am sure he is showing them that he does. I think Sam Darnold showed the team he did too. I remember many practices where players, coaches, and media members were impressed. It doesn't mean it will translate into a live game environment though.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I believe the number of looks a player gets is probably the obverse of where he was drafted.

Number 259, Grant Stuard, LB, Houston gets one shot. (Can anyone tell us how he and ZW matched up in October?)

Trevor Lawrence will get at least 259 chances before he gets kicked to the curb. Wilson gets 258, etc.

blackssmagic, Noam and ukjetsfan like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ugggg....and it starts. Q, now Corey.

cval likes this.
  13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Sites and sounds, I don't know, my eyesight is failing and I'm legally deaf. Badum kissh.

#13 jetophile, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Jets hosted RT morgan moses. could possibly sign him. 30 years old and posted an 80.6 grade from PFF last year

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Get Vyncint Smith the hell out of here. He's had one big play as a Jet and multiple botches... caused an INT and fumbled today:

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Meanwhile it sounds like Wilson is lighting it up. Three TDs in the first red zone drill, three more in the second red zone drill.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

18. NCJetsfan

19. NCJetsfan

20. NCJetsfan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.