Talking with HC Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, May 16, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They were all at Zach Wilson's Pro Day and are friends. Why shouldn't they have breakfast together? Lynch didn't tell the Jets anything, and the Jets didn't tell him anything. Saleh said that he was shocked at the news.

2. NCJetsfan

I disagree. Initially, I had my concerns with hiring yet another former DC as HC, but Saleh has shown that he is HC of the whole team. He wanted Wilson. He wanted AVT and Moore. Did you see how excited he got when the Jets got Moore and then Carter? He knows that he wasn't going to win anything without a great offense that can score points. Our offense won't just depend upon who our OC is, either. We have real FQB prospect. If he doesn't pan out and JD doesn't find another, then yes, we will be at the mercy of the OC. But if Wilson develops and pans out as I think he will, and if JD keeps drafting and making FA decisions like he has, we will have a strong team period, including the offense and with Wilson our offense will succeed, score points, and win lots of games regardless of whom the OC is.

I also think our D will be more than just an above average D that keeps us in games. That's not what he did in SF.

3. NCJetsfan

We'll see, but I think that you're dead wrong. Rex isn't a scab on Saleh's ass. He was a one-trick pony. Once everyone figured out his blitzes, he had nothing. He didn't care about the offense and made no effort to learn because he was and is a fat, lazy, stupid fuck.

This post also contradicts your earlier post where you said that Saleh will just give the Jets an "above average D" and now you're talking about the magic Saleh will bring to our Defense. Which is it?

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You don't get to shill this away, sorry. This is obvious.

Mere hours before the 49ers traded a king's ransom to one of our division rivals the two entourages had breakfast together and John Lynch did the unthinkable for an intelligent GM, trading up to 3 a few weeks before the draft with "no guarantee" that the player he wanted would be available... unless.

#24 abyzmul, May 21, 2021
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
  5. NCJetsfan

Shill what away? There is nothing obvious imo. It all depends upon one's perspective.

I see nothing wrong at all with their having breakfast together. Even though they're friends, I think the idea that they'd share information is absurd. Why would they help a competitor?

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Unless nothing. Jets turned the trade with SF down, period. That told SF everything they needed to know. SF was going to jump in with both feet for Wilson while neither had any interest in Fields. So they knew they needed to move up after the Jets said no, and it was clear as day as to why. They didn’t have to be told anything else.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. abyzmul

I'm not saying Robert Saleh told John Lynch who they were drafting. I'm saying it's almost a certainty that someone from Saleh's group told someone from Lynch's group. Many of Saleh 's group down to the gofers came from the 49ers org. Every franchise is a multi billion dollar business and information is a commodity, and in that setting friendship only goes so far.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

That could have happened, but we have no evidence that it did. I think that JD has already investigated, and warned that if anything similar happens again, heads will roll.

9. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

@NCJetsfan ^^with all due respect NC, I think that is kind of harsh regarding Rex. Overall, I was disappointed in his tenture, esp at how it ended....but let's not completely ignore the fact that he is the only Jets coach to guide the team to back to back AFC Title games.

10. abyzmul

With Mark Sanchez under center, with no real pass rushers and he faced murderer's row during the second playoff run.

I have my reservations about Rex but Saleh has his work cut out for him in terms of accomplishments.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rex got really lucky when he was here. He took advantage of the luck but it was there in the first place.

In 2010 Mark Sanchez led the NFL in dropped interceptions, which was one of the real reasons the Jets managed to get to 11-5 in the first place. By 2011 Sanchez was ready to roll but the luck ran out and he started getting nailed on sacks more often and his useless WR1 Santonio Holmes began handing the ball to the other team on a regular basis, making up for the interception luck of the year before.

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

4 road playoff victories, with an inexperienced subpar QB on our side.

Rex got the best out of the talent he had, and the players were fully bought in.
    His defensive work was the best this franchise has ever seen.

As of right now, Rex is a high bar to clear (for this franchise anyway, it's all relative).
    Saleh is a different personality and style, but there are a lot of similarities as well.
    I could see a result involving getting the most out of his players.....and that's really priority 1 as a HC.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  13. abyzmul

The thing that really makes me optimistic about the defense is that when Rex took the job I think it was mainly because he saw Revis as the lynchpin of his defense, because it was based on 46 principles and required deadly press man coverage outside. Revis was the guy he could build his defense around.

Saleh's bread is buttered with a dominating penetration artist at 3T and Quinnen Williams is that guy. Quinnen will help the rest of the pieces fall in place quickly if he is healthy enough to make an impact early in the season.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Good insight! So who's gonna play the roll of Bart Scott?

15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

As a long time fan, I've never been this optimistic. Also, as a long time fan with a fairly long life of experience, I've gotten better at judging GM talent and Joe Douglas is the real deal in my opinion.

16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Lynch most likely judged that he would be happy with any of at least 3 QBs so he traded up to the 3rd spot. It's also possible that he unsuccessfully tried to trade with the Jets for #2, but we don't know.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yep, Lynch played it well...

Saleh's inexperience showed through. when you are an assistant coach its one thing but when you are a head coach you have to recognize that every other team is examining you for info. You can't just have dinner with the old boss and tell him how much you like a prospect

BacktoQueens likes this.
  18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Very interesting take in regards to the centerpieces of these D's.

Really good coaches adapt to talent, and make it work with the strengths they do have though.
    For instance, Rex's defenses in Baltimore never had good CB's, but he properly leveraged Reed, Lewis, Ngata, Thomas, etc, and they were an elite squad.
    Once he had a talent like Revis though, he made him the centerpiece and we all watched Revis transform from emerging star to best season I've ever seen a CB play.
    Rex didn't necessarily need him to make his D work, but he knew exactly how to best maximize his talents.

Looking at Saleh, he had Buckner a couple years ago, but no real imposing 3tech last year either.
    The defense was still top of the league, as he adapted well to the talent he had.
    Now getting a player like Q at a desired impact position, let's hope he can also transform him from emerging start to HOF player as the centerpiece to this D, a la Revis in 2009.
    The rest of the Dline is solid, and if we play the 4-3 Under (which I think we will) Q is going to see a lot of 1:1 blocking on the weak side.
    He's gonna be setup perfectly to succeed.

Jets79 and LAJet like this.
  19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

This guy is a players coach and gains their respect so they play hard for him. Kinda the Pete Carroll school of coaching philosophy. I’m excited