Who remembers this game?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, May 18, 2021.

1. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Todd int to Bill Simpson

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I didn't start rooting for the Jets until 1986. I was a Cowboys fan up until then. My dad and bothers were Giants fans but I just fell in love with the Cowboys uniform as a kid.

My freshman year of college I pledged a fraternity. They had 6 Jets season tickets (I went to college in the Bronx.) During my sophomore year one of the guys had a wife who was going to give birth (alumni.) They asked me if I wanted to take over the rest of his tickets. Since it was so hard to see a Cowboys game I figured WTF. My first game was the Monday night game against the Broncos that ended up putting them at 6-1. I was hooked. If only I had known. I totally abandoned tybe Cowboys when they fired Tom Landy. I hate them to this day.

So I'm glad I missed all the Richard Todd years. I remember seeing highlights and thinking "this guy blows." I did like the sack exchange and I always hated the Giants.

I kept those season tickets until I graduated and then got my own up unto the new stadium. I bought them but only went once. It's now too far and my TV kicks ass

Noam, AJW and mrjet80 like this.
  3. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

You were THAT kid. The annoying one who just had to be the Cowboys fan wearing his Cowboys jersey to school EVERY DAY telling all us kids that our teams sucked. Oh, how us Jets and Giants fans despised those kids. LOL Similar to the Islanders fans in the early 80s. Me being a Rangers fan on LI in the early 80s was tough in school.

Actually, the Richard Todd years were very entertaining mixed with excruciating losses. But compared to some of the garbage we've witnessed as fans of this team, the Todd years at least kept us interested because he made it so with his reckless style. He reminds me of Brett Favre but without the rocket arm to squeeze it in between 4 defenders. Good arm, just not Brett Favre good. Sometimes those passes got through, sometimes they didn't. And when they didn't it was usually a pick 6.

I'll never forget the day Jerry Jones fired Landry. Even I was sad to see him go since he was the epitome of a cool NFL football coach. Probably the only thing I liked about the Cowboys. In hindsight, probably the right move since Jimmy brought the energy that the Cowboys needed at that time.

AJW and mrjet80 like this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yep THAT kid lol. Cowboys and Steelers jerseys in those days. To this day I don’t like the Steelers because of that ....

AJW and major33 like this.
  5. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Yep, THAT kid. LOLOLOLOL I would say more so the Cowboys than Steelers just for this one reason. Mean Joe Green and that coke commercial was probably the best NFL commercial when we were growing up, maybe one of the best ever. Every kid probably wanted a Steelers jersey after that. I never paid attention to Steeler fans, it was the arrogant Cowboys frontrunning fans with their jerseys every single day in school. They would pick on us lowly Jets fans every day, Giants fans too since they were mostly horrific before Parcells.

I also liked Terry Bradshaw in Cannonball Run as well as everyone else in that hilarious movie. LOL Ahh childhood when nothing was political and we could just sit down and enjoy a ridiculously funny movie that made no sense, except probably to a kid.

AJW likes this.
  6. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

That clip is classic!!! Loved that movie!!!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

7. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

I was so pumped after this win in San Diego week 1 1983. We know how that season ended.

#107 AJW, May 21, 2021
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
    jilozzo and mrjet80 like this.
  8. mrjet80

I have a dvd of that game somewhere. I still remember the flash dance and Maniac songs while the score was flashed on the screen at a commercial break.

Yep things were looking up the Jets went into SD and kicked their ass. 1-0 and coming home.....

9. mrjet80

I remember this !!! A kickoff had to be done over because of a commercial running long. If I remember correctly this kickoff was not aired the subsequent one was....

This guy does a lot of in depth interesting videos such as this. Minute details perhaps but very interesting ...

10. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Then we came home and lost to Curt Warner and the Seahawks.

11. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

That whole season was weird. We beat Montana and Niners in SF. Beat NO on Monday night (Kirk Springs stole the show). Very disappointing season with such high expectations. Sounds like the Jets. When we expect a great season they put up a dud and when we don't expect a good season we end up going to the playoffs.

mrjet80 likes this.
  12. mrjet80

Do you remember the dropped punt In the first quarter? The Seahawks player caught the punt - dropped it- was hit and the Jets picked it up and ran into the end zone. It was all called back and a Seattle was given possession. I don’t quite remember what the ruling was but that was an ominous beginning and not what the Jets needed considering the Seattle jinx in those days.

A lot of fumbles in the game also - very hot I think 95 degrees....

AJW likes this.
  13. mrjet80

That team finished 2-6 at Shea which was inexcusable.

Wrapped around that impressive first ever win against the 49ers were four consecutive losses at Shea - two one each end.

AJW likes this.
  14. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember that play. Still scratching my head.

15. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Here is the first half of the 1983 game vs. Atlanta. The best commentary by Madden and Summerall.

#115 AJW, May 21, 2021
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
  16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The thing I remember most about the 83 season was the finale at Shea against the Steelers. The last game and the fans stormed the field but not in a bad way as they were saying good bye to Shea for the last time.

mrjet80 likes this.
  17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

18. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

This is still the saddest day for me as a fan. I didn't want them to move to Jersey and I live in Jersey. That tells you something. They belong in New York or Long Island. I am so sick and tired of sharing a stadium with that other team.

Ralebird likes this.
  19. mrjet80

The only good to come out of it was that now the Jets and Giants are co-owners rather than the Jets are tenants ....

20. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

I guess you can look at it that way. That stadium is so meh though. They couldn't have built something better?