Who was the Worst Coach in NY Jets history?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by patleahy, May 20, 2021.

?

Worst coach in Jets history

1. Richie Kotite

20 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Adam Gase

30 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I cannot say who was responsible for Revis, Harris, Mangold, etc and likely Mangini deserves some credit but we do know that Mangini was soley responsible for the Ghoulston pick. The scouting department was adamantly against picking Vernon but Mangini insisted and got his way. Which is much different than when Rex went against the wishes of the scouting dpt and picked Sanchez. In that case the Jets scouting department may not have liked the pick but it was within the realm of possibility. But Ghoulston they were adamant that he could not play football.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Interesting list.....I'm not sure Groh would make the top 5. He only coached one season - yes the team lost his last three games and quite frankly they should not of - the last two anyway. That kicker John Hall lost the Lions game. The Ravens game was more of a special teams issue. However, I believe you missed Coslet who was nothing but a gasbag and literally got so riled on the sideline his players would also and lose focus on the task at hand. Horrible leadership. His teams blew a host of huge late leads. Stunk with the Bengals too.

How about Charley Winner? He was only hired because he was Weeb's son-in-law. He only lasted a year and a half but the worst part was Walt Michaels resigned out of protest and left for three years setting the Jets back since he became the head coach down the road and had to rebuild the team.

Here's an idea - What about Pete Carroll? Yes I know he is now a HOF coach but with the Jets? Inexperienced and immature. He was the guy in charge with the famous fake spike and collapse of the season. If this is strictly a Jets list wouldn't he be on there?

Mangini - eh the Jets have had worse as I've mentioned. A disappointment, certainly. But I don't see him as #3.

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder......

NCJetsfan, patleahy and major33 like this.
  3. mrjet80

Which was a huge mistake and I knew it at the time. Most of us did...…..Mangini after trading Abraham away ( not criticizing the trade itself there were contract issues and the trade turned into Nick Mangold who anchored the OL for a decade ) realized they lacked an outside pass rush and took a chance. Wrong move - wrong player. And that bust cost the Jets a Super Bowl appearance in my opinion. Had the Jets been able to find that one guy on defense then the 09-10 years may have had a different outcome or at least one of them......

major33 likes this.
  4. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Gase is fresh in people's minds so I get why people vote for him, but Kotite was just absolutely horrible. And Gase did the org a solid by getting Macc fired and JD hired. So he's got that going for him.

Gunga galunga… gunga, gunga-lagunga

5. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Gase's teams looked like they didn't know how to win a football game.
    Kotite's teams often looked like they didn't know how to play a football game.

The Internet remembers:

NCJetsfan and Jets81 like this.
  6. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Maybe he wasn't technically the worst, but Joe Walton sure used to pick his nose a lot for a full grown adult on live TV, which has got to put him somewhere in the running.

7. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Glad you brought up Coslet because he was supposed to be some offensive genius and with us, he turned out to be almost as clueless as Gase. He was also very annoying to look at on the sidelines with that stupid who can I blame now look on his face as we're getting pummeled every week.

I would not put Carroll on the list simply because others are much worse. My opinion of course. I definitely agree with the immature part, but maybe not as much as the inexperienced part since he had been a coach in various roles for quite a bit of time before latching on with the Jets. You could say he was a terrible leader that season when things started to go south. Everything came so easy to him in the beginning, but when things got tough, he collapsed. Amazing how he corrected that flaw and went on to have a long and distinguished career.

Agree with you about Mangini. We've had much worse. He was his own worst enemy in the end. A weird guy who got too much put on his shoulders very early in his career. In the end, not a leader. He did know football very well. Probably should have been a lifetime defensive coordinator.

Since we were discussing the 80s Jets yesterday which was fantastic, where do you stand on Joe Walton? I really could not stand his game plans every week. To me, he was a boring coach even when we had success. He inherited a good team from Michaels & throughout the early to mid 80s we had good players. His style reminded me a lot of when the Knicks had Hubie Brown as HC. That slow plodding style. I felt Joe was the same with his 11 TE sets on offense in an era where the TE wasn't as important. He did however open it up a bit in 85 and 86, but other than that, I hated his offense. The defense, later on, was not very good either.

Since you know every little detail about each game in the 80s, what is your opinion about him? What did I miss about his coaching style that may have impressed you? What did you hate?

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Al Groh was like stale corn flakes topped with sawdust - certainly not the kind of personality anyone with any awareness of young athletes would pick to run a football team. I've already mentioned Charley Winner and have told my story here in the past about the little part I hope I had in getting him fired. Mangini may have been the most miserable man on the planet - he made Belichick look like Belushi.

Pete Carroll, however, does not belong on this list at all. Yes, he was young and his enthusiasm overwhelmed him at times but he has proven he was not a bad coach, he just required a little time to settle into the position. I believe he was fired not for any transgressions he may have committed but simply to open the position for the light of Leon's eye - Rich Kotite. Go figure.

9. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I like Noam, but there is no way Gase, Kotite and Holtz aren't the top 3, in whatever order you choose to place them.

10. mrjet80

Yeah those three could be the top 3 but personally Winner and Coslet would be #4 and #5. I don’t think Mangini and Groh should be. But just my opinion.

Ralebird likes this.
  11. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I agree Mr. Jet. I was going to include Coslet in the options, but his record was no where near as bad as Kotite's or Gase's.

12. mrjet80

I didn’t say Groh was great shakes I just personally don’t think he makes the top 5 list of bad Jets coaches - in other words Gase, Kotite, Holtz, Coslet, and Winner were all worse in my opinion.

Maybe Groh can be #6? LOL

13. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Definitely Gase. Kotite had an eye for talent, but he just was too clueless and ball-less to use the talent properly. It says a lot that the vast majority of the team that nearly went to the Super Bowl under Parcells was built by Kotite. Kotite would have probably done a decent job as a scout or even a GM.

Gase had no eye for talent, no people skills, no clue how to lead or build a team, no command presence to discipline the team, and no coaching ability. He was EASILY a worse coach than Kotite.

mrjet80 likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

And yet, with no discernable qualifications and a failed resume, he was hired and kept his job for two full seasons.

15. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Charlie Winner
    Lou Holtz

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Kotite is the worst I’ve been around for.

patleahy and LogeSection2RowJ like this.
  17. TwoHeadedMonster

In fairness, it's not like they went out looking to hire Al Groh-- he was effectively an interim coach for a certain resigned HC of the NYJ. Even so, he is has the #2 all-time winning percentage for Jets Head Coaches behind Parcells (the caveat there, of course, being that he inherited a roster that was favored to win it all the year before, right up until the Testaverde went down week 1).

18. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

How the fuck do people not vote for the guy that actually quit on the team?

19. TwoHeadedMonster

Belichick wasn't on the poll. Did you want us to write in?

20. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Since Rich Kotite has never been seen again in public, or was hiding in the hole next to Saddam's hole, or has been in the witness protection program since his last day working in football 25 years ago, how can it be anyone BUT him?

ConcordeChops and patleahy like this.