Who remembers this game?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, May 18, 2021.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

WOW You sound just like me. I lived down there for about 20 years and I did the same exact thing - prayed they wouldn’t sell out and usually they didn’t.

I couldn’t stand Marino or those fans.

major33 likes this.
  2. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

It was a good call but if you had seats in Row J you would have been under the overhang (no rain) with an excellent view of "White Shoes" running towards you into the endzone. LOL Well not really, more like :(

The people we went with had seats in the upper deck and were getting rained on all first half. Since they drove, the dad came down to our seats which were under the overhang and said we're leaving. This was halftime, we were up big and they were cold and wet. I was 12, said hell no I'll take the LIRR home, or you can come to our section under the overhang and stay until the end. They stayed with us. I probably made the right call since I can say I was at the Billy "White Shoes" Johnson game and actually watched him do it. So many fans left at halftime.

3. major33

Oh yes, I can already tell you have a photographic memory. Truly a gift I wish I had. So you could be telling the truth, however, the reason I question it is because it didn't really have anything to do with the game itself so that would throw you off. Either way, I believe you since your memory amazes me. Nothing would shock me at this point. LOL

mrjet80 likes this.
  4. major33

Yup! I can tell we're the same age and have the same Jet experiences growing up.

Counting down the days and praying nobody would buy up the remaining tickets. :)

My grandfather did become a Dolphins fan when they moved to Florida in the 70s which was fine because I loved going to the Orange Bowl. He also would take me to the Orange Bowl game. I was at the famous Miami-Nebraska Orange Bowl in 83. Still have the ticket stub. Horrible seats, but a great view of the final play.

I hated Marino with a passion, but I would give anything to go back in time to watch him play again.

mrjet80 likes this.
  5. mrjet80

Yeah maybe in hindsight we didn’t appreciate his talents ....

major33 likes this.
  6. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Oh please, let the newer fanbase suffer like the rest of us. :)

Ralebird and major33 like this.
  7. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

I remember that game!! Yes 21-0 we lead at the half. Then Whiteshoes Johnson took over. Also, their kicker mocked Mark G. with his dance of his own to win the game.

major33 and mrjet80 like this.
  8. major33

I have to say, this made me really laugh because you're spot on. I should have realized that the newer fans have to get the full Jet experience in order to be recognized as an actual Jets fan. LOL

AJW likes this.
  9. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

I appreciated his talents. Great QB but killed us all of the time. I still have dreams of that 52 yard pass to Duper in Miami 1985. Why Bobby Jackson was playing bump and run in that situation is beyond me? We left too much time on the clock and our special teams didn't help by letting them have a great kick return too.

major33 and mrjet80 like this.
  10. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

11. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

LOL!! Do you remember the tshirts with the Walton picking his nose?

major33 likes this.
  12. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

I was at that Green Bay game. Cold as hell!!!

major33, matt robinson 17 and mrjet80 like this.
  13. major33

That is how I am with all the greats that killed us. The other big one was in the NBA. I hated Larry Bird & that Celtics team but would give anything to go back in time to watch them on a Sunday afternoon CBS game against the 76ers or Lakers.

Of course at the time we do not like them, but looking back it is fun to just appreciate the actual talent we got to witness instead of what the player(s) did to us. They did it to us because they were that great & we were lucky enough to watch these Hall of Famers.

It's like missing out on all the great baseball players of years past. I hate the Yankees but would love to go back in time to watch Gehrig, Ruth, Joe D and Mantle. One thing I regret is not asking my Grandfather who was born in 1914 more questions about what pro sports were like when he was growing up.

mrjet80 likes this.
  14. major33

I want to say that I did because there was a lot of stuff put out there with him picking his nose. LOL I think the shirt was like a drawing or outline of his face with pick your nose Joe underneath it. His last game at Giants Stadium to end the season against Buffalo was brutal & very sad. They never should have let him coach that game. The fans were chanting non stop by the bench at him and the entire team. And it was FREEZING. The only time I ever regretted going to a professional sporting event.

15. mrjet80

Grr I still remember that stupid dance of his in the end zone after tying the game and then one of the Falcons defenders imitating Gastineau after a late sack.

EDIT : It was the kicker I was thinking of - AJW has it right.

major33 likes this.
  16. mrjet80

I remember watching the team on television walking back into the locker room after the final gun and a cluster of fans standing above them and I counted about a dozen or so arms in throwing motion - pelting Walton with everything they had.....

major33 likes this.
  17. mrjet80

That’s right it was the kicker. I thought it was a defender ...... you are right.

major33 likes this.
  18. mrjet80

I was jumping around after the Klever catch but quite quickly went into a depression.

It was also Jackson who cost us the Orange Bowl Sat game 3 years earlier by dropping a game clinching INT. Had he hung on it definitely would have changed the playoff seedlings and possibly may have changed the final result. There never would have been a ‘mud bowl’ in the Orange Bowl.

AJW and major33 like this.
  19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I drove to that game with 2 friends and one had a denim jacket on I told him he was crazy and I said I wasn’t leaving before the end of the game, he wanted to leave in the 1st qtr and told him I wasn’t he stayed by the concession stands the whole game

AJW and major33 like this.
  20. mrjet80

So there was also another lousy rainy late game the 1980 Buffalo game. The Jets made a comeback and tied the game. The Bills eschewed a long FG attempt. Instead Ferguson threw a bomb to Lewis I think on the last play for the win - not a jump ball but single coverage. Another wonderful afternoon eh ?