New York Jets | 2021 Schedule Breakdown and Predictions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, May 15, 2021.

1. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

I'm always optimistic now and then come around to realism. Last year really we shouldn't have been 2-14 but were so battered by injuries, bad QBing, the worst coaching in the league...really we could've easily lost every one. A better staff could've maybe squeezed 6 wins out of the 2020 Jets. But no more

2021 I think will be a positive breath of fresh air year. And we've had those with new coaches (heck even Coslett in 1990 was a "good" 6-10 coming off 4-12 Joe Must Go in 1989) Also 2002, 2006, 2009, 2015. The key is making that winning culture stick, learning from your mistakes, adapting to the players as they change (coaching now is no longer the old school my way or the hard way) you're more partner with these guys than someone who cracks the whip

I see 8-9

Sunday
    Sep. 12 [​IMG] at Carolina PanthersBank of America Stadium, Charlotte, NC 1:00pm ETCBS
    Sunday

Jets win 23-21. Close one but they just hang on at the end. Darnold throws for 2 td's but also turns it over twice with an INT and fumble. He doesn't kill us. Outperformed by Wilson

Sep. 19 [​IMG] New England PatriotsMetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ 1:00pm ETCBS
    Sunday

The week 2 2009 feeling is sweeping Jets Universe. But this team isn't where that was then. The Patriots are much improved (so are we) but they're still better.
    31-22 New England

Sep. 26 [​IMG] at Denver BroncosEmpower Field at Mile High, Denver, CO 4:05pm ETCBS
    Sunday

Not a ton about Denver scares me. Not impressed with their coach...good D, nothing to fear at QB. Good receivers but...just a team sort of in purgatory. Jets will be hungrier and win 21-16

Oct. 3 [​IMG] Tennessee TitansMetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ 1:00pm ETCBS
    Sunday

Not ready for team like Tennessee yet. Jets hang with them through the half but ultimately lose
    Titans - 31
    Jets - 16
    Oct. 10 [​IMG] at Atlanta FalconsTottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, England 9:30am ETNFLN
    Sunday
    Oct. 17 BYE
    Sunday

Ugh. This shit again. Falcons are such a weird team but I think the needle is pointing down for them. We'll have trouble with their weapons but our O will have a really good day (finally)

Jets 38
    Atlanta - 31
    Oct. 24 [​IMG] at New England PatriotsGillette Stadium, Foxborough, MA 1:00pm ETCBS
    Sunday

Jets play well, lose a heartbreaker. Probably typical NE shenanigans at play

Patriots 20
    Jets 17
    Oct. 31 [​IMG] Cincinnati BengalsMetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ 1:00pm ETCBS
    Thursday

Two still flawed teams on their way up. Jets beat Cinci 27-23
    Nov. 4 [​IMG] at Indianapolis ColtsLucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN 8:20pm ETFOX/NFLN/AMAZON
    Sunday

Colts 26
    Jets - 17

Nov. 14 [​IMG] Buffalo BillsMetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ 1:00pm ETCBS
    Sunday

The talent to beat them isn't there year. Bills 31 Jet 18
    Nov. 21 [​IMG] Miami DolphinsMetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ 1:00pm ETCBS Buy
    Sunday

Fish take the Jets lightly and are soundly beaten

Jets- 30
    Miami - 14
    Nov. 28 [​IMG] at Houston TexansNRG Stadium, Houston, TX 1:00pm ETCBS
    Sunday

Jets play a complete game against a team in turmoil

Jets- 32
    Texans - 9
    Dec. 5 [​IMG] Philadelphia EaglesMetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ 1:00pm ETCBS
    Sunday

We always find a way to lose to them

Eagles - 27
    Jets - 12
    Dec. 12 [​IMG] New Orleans SaintsMetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ 1:00pm ETFOX Buy Tickets
    Saturday

Saints on the road is an entirely different animal. Jets win a nail biter. Last second field goal

Jets - 22
    Saints - 21
    Dec. 18 [​IMG] at Miami DolphinsHard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens, FL Time TBA ETor Sun., Dec. 19
    Sunday

Miami more prepared this time unfortunately

Fish - 23
    Jets - 9
    Dec. 26 [​IMG] Jacksonville JaguarsMetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ 1:00pm ETCBS
    Sunday

Could go either way. I'll go Jets

Jets- 33
    Jags -24
    Jan. 2 [​IMG] Tampa Bay BuccaneersMetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ 1:00pm ETFOX
    Sunday

Not on their level yet. Jets will play well though and get to Brady a few times

Tampa - 29
    Jets - 20
    Jan. 9 [​IMG] at Buffalo BillsBills Stadium, Orchard Park, NY 1:00pm ETCBS

Bills -16
    Jets - 13

8-9 for 2021. Though this is me at my most optimistic. 7-10 or 6-11 is prob what will happen. If they go 8-9 then that means we got some luck. Which we usually don't get.

PennyandtheJets and cval like this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How about both teams must wear identical uniforms - maybe with no numbers?

BrowningNagle and KingRoach like this.
  3. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Hate to be a Debbie downer, but the Jets are likely going to be underdogs in their first five games. An 0-5 start is possible if they lose week 1 in Charlotte.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, it's entirely possible. After all, we have a rookie HC, rookie OC, 1st full year DC (I think), a rookie QB, many young new players, and both the offense and defense are learning new schemes. Top that off with a tough early schedule and 3 of the 5 games being on the road, and it may even be probable, rather than just possible. Still, I think we'll see a very different team this year, one that is much more competitive, and by the end of the season should be playing at a pretty high level if they can avoid major injuries.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The one proposal I really liked was for an 18 game schedule where each player could only play 16 games. It would really add a lot of strategy to who plays what games and when you rest your stars or wait for injuries. I don't think it ever gained any traction as the NFL is about marketing it's stars not sitting them. But I really like the strategic element.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO it sounds interesting in theory, but what if it were the Jets in 2022? JD has built a solid team, Saleh and LaFleur have been masterful, the team has been relatively injury free, with no major injuries. Saleh, figuring that injuries would happen sooner or later, has gone with 90% of his starters (including Wilson, Carter, Mims, and Davis) the first 16 games trying to win as many games as he can. They're 9-7 at that point. If the Jets win the 17th and 18th games, they're in the playoffs. Lose, and they don't make the playoffs. Would you find it so interesting then? I wouldn't. I'd be pissed if the Jets missed the playoffs at that point because they had to go with mostly backups. One really couldn't blame Saleh for going with his starters, because normally there are injuries during the season.

Noam likes this.
  7. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

I saw the Jets play at Denver in 2010. It was the game when Holmes drew a PI call in the last two minutes of the game.
    Mile high was loud as fuck the whole game. If the fans are back in full force I would have to agree with you that it will be a tough game to win.

mrjet80 likes this.
  8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yes and if I’m not mistaken aside from that game the only other time I’ve seen the Jets win out there was the Terrell Davis injury game in 1999 - I go back about 40 years. I know they had a big comeback in 1978 - was too young to remember.

Some people here misunderstand when I say “climate” but you get it - very very tough home field advantage especially for a young team being put together with new staffing. Hey I hope they go out there and beat the Broncos just like the next guy but I don’t see it - although that can always change on the circumstances as we move along.

9. mrjet80

One solution would be for the team to gradually sit one or two starters for each game as they go along so that when they get to the last game you’re only down a couple starters. Of course that would mean in theory a team never has their full slate of starters available for every game and that would get complicated. Not to mention as other injuries occur it would really deplete a team’s depth chart week by week.

It’s a good idea in theory but probably wouldn’t work without major tinkering.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Anything is possible. I would be surprised if we didn't get a win though.

11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Denver is 14-18 at home over the last 4 seasons, home field advantage from when they were a good team years ago does not really matter much now. Not saying Jets will win and home field may give Denver some advantage but it is not nearly the advantage you seem to think.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  12. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I think they win between 6-8 games as a best/worst case scenario.

1. Saleh is a good coach and a good leader if you read the comments from his former 49ers players. They would run thru a wall for the guy. They had a lot of injuries last year and still had a good defense.
    2. The Jets D has the potential to be quite good. I think Saleh gets the most out of them like he did in SF which will keep us in games and makes us competitive.
    3. More than the wins and losses this year is seeing how the Jets do in developing Wilson. If Zach can show he has the "it" factor than the sky is the limit.

Obviously I want them to win every game and make the playoffs but I also know the Jets are not close to being a finished product. Two things I want to see for the 2021 is the team heading in the right direction under Saleh's leadership and Wilson showing he has the "it" factor in developing into a franchise QB. If they can accomplish this then I know better days are coming.

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Instead of sitting players 2 games a season you could accomplish almost the same thing by requiring teams to play back-ups 30% of the snaps. Or pick some other %. Some HCs (most?) hate playing rookies and the bench. They want their starters out there 100% if possible (Parcells effect). But if the starters were guaranteed to get 30% of the snaps off, they may sign up to 18 games.

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

with the extra game, there’s likely going to be more of a “load management” where teams won’t play their star players so many snaps this year I feel.

Footballgod214, mrjet80 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. mrjet80

Well we’ll see what happens it’s gonna be an interesting year for the Jets. I wasn’t aware Denver was 14-18 at home the last three seasons....hopefully that trend continues for them by week 3.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

NC, you would hope that week-in-week out they would be progressing and at the end of the season be a much improved team... we'll see.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Yes we have a rookie HC, QB and a very young team. We also have a team that opposing coaches have no tape on. This can potentially help us in the first quarter of the season. I think the Panthers, Broncos and Falcons are all winnable games. A rookie QB will have a tough time against a Belicheat defense but I could see our D keeping us in that game as well.

Pats are way overrated. We should have beaten them last season.

mrjet80 likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Jets will win that Falcons game in London. I dunno how many wins they will finish with but seeing as how the boss man was ambassador to the UK his team isn't gonna go over there and lose

mrjet80 likes this.
  19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The more 2022 mocks I do, the more I’m hoping for a poor record this year.

The 49ers went 2-14, drafted Nick Bosa and went to the Super Bowl the next year. Kayvon Thibodeaux, anyone?

How do we draft 3rd and come out optimistic?

Week 1: Carolina Panthers - Sam isn’t there to carry the team, that’s Macs job. Carolina has playoff expectations this year and they’re pumped up in their home opener.

Week 2 : Belicheat got his D back and with an angry Cam throwing to big bodies, we lose our opener in a blowout

Week 3 : Rodgers is out to do some damage and Picks apart our young zone D.

W - Week 4 : The Titans don’t take us seriously and get blown out in the Meadowlands.

Week 5 : A fun shootout overseas but too many weapons for the Falcons exploit too many holes for the Jets

Week 7 : Patriots in Gillette Stadium....

Week 8 : Another shootout gets the fans riled up but Burrow has too many weapons and the Jets secondary is exposed

Week 9 : Wentz back with his old coach is having an MVP season

Week 10 : Allen is also having an MVP caliber season

W - Week 11 : The Jets D steps up and Tua folds

W - Week 12 : The Texans are trash

W - Week 13 : Eagles take a beat down from the Jets

Week 14 : Peyton is too creative and the Saints out score the Jets

Week 15 : Dolphins get a little revenge

W - Week 16 : Jags 2nd guess their selection after Wilson puts on a clinic

Week 17 : Buccs play to win and win a surprisingly close game

Week 18 : Bills play to win and win a surprisingly close game

Final count: 5-12 is that low enough to draft the first non-QB in 2022?

20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member