Zach Wilson is the Leader the Jets Need

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, May 9, 2021.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I always thought Lance was the most likely to not see the field in year 1.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Gonna be hard for Chicago to sit Fields. The fans will be foaming at the mouth for him to play since they haven't had good QB play and they gave up so much for him. Plus their coach is on the hot seat.

I suspect Fields plays early, possibly week 1

Lon Chaney likes this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what Chicago does. If he doesn't come out of the gate playing well, it could get ugly.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

my guess is

week 1 tlaw-wilson

the other 3 jones, fields, and lance will be dependent on a few things. barring injury injury I don't see lance playing at all this year. but jimmy g always gets hurt so I think we see him at some point
    for fields/jones they are both on good teams with subpar QB play. the bears have dalton and foles so good chance as long as they are winning , we don't see fields. if the season is lost I can see the switch happen.
    same goes for NE, if they are winning I think they stick with cam, if not they will switch to jones

Noam likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree, it's not cut and dried. But I have to assign much of the blame to the Jets F.O. - Owners, GMs, CS - while also laying some of the blame on the QBs.

I also agree with:
    and that's why I assign most of the blame on the team. That said, I do think Douglas is doing things differently, and has more knowledge and ability than anyone since at least Parcells, so I'm hopeful for once.

But I disagree with:
    They actually allowed talent to slip away, either with trades, or FA, or weak drafting. At least that's how I remember it. Sanchez was never good enough to carry a team, and yet that's what they seemed to think he could do. The OL was very good, but the skill positions were meh, certainly not good enough to make Sanchez better.

The Jets just haven't paid enough attention to offense for decades...even during Parcell's tenure. After Walt Michaels they seemed to adopt a "Defense wins championships" mindset, and lost any sense of how to build a good offense. Again, what I'm seeing with Douglas however is them finally addressing this black hole.

I've said repeatedly that I hope they sign a vet to let Wilson sit for at least a few games, but it looks like that's not going to happen. I do feel however that Wilson can handle it if they set him up for success. I'm anxious to see what happens.

egelband, Jets81 and LAJet like this.
  6. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

They have already announced that Dalton will be starting Week1 and that Fields will start only when he is ready. I understand your general point about Bears fans and the media clamoring to see him play asap, but I would be shocked if Fields sees the field before Week 4-5 at the earliest. Nagy and Pace have already screwed the pooch with one first round QB in Trubisky....so they are going to be conservative with how they bring Fields along, to try to make damn sure that he has the best possible chance of success. They have already cited how KC sat Mahomes for a season while Fields played, as the template they are going to try to emulate. No one expects Fields to shit the entire season, but he will definitely sit for awhile before taking the reins. The last thing either one of them can afford is to rush him out there before he is 100% ready to succeed, bc if he busts out, they are both gone. They are not only going to wait until they feel that he has a firm command of the playbook and can handle the speed of NFL defenses, but also for the OL to gel to where they feel that Fields will be adequately protected.

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s as hard as the NFL makes it out to be especially now that college and NFL offenses share more of the same concepts.

patleahy likes this.
  8. patleahy

yeah but the vast majority of those qbs still fail legler. just look at how many qbs are in the league...how many of them would you even say are very good to great? maybe 8 out of 64 (estimating each time has at least a backup if not 3 qbs...32 x 2 qbs each....) so conservatively, out of at least 64 qbs in the league maybe 6-8 are very good to great? the rest are either mediocre or flat out suck. it is hard to find guys who can actually play the position at a high level in the pros, legler, regardless of what type of college system they come out of.

9. legler82

Fail is relative. Guys like Goff, Mariota, Trubisky...etc. have good numbers and won games but the respective teams that drafted them elected to move on. It’s more appropriate to say that superstar QBs are difficult to find. That premise is applicable to all positions though. Hence why I believe it’s criminal to pass on QBs with more upside (Mahomes, Allen, Herbert...etc.) for the those that are more “pro ready” (air quotes).

Brook! and patleahy like this.
  10. patleahy

I agree with your overall post, legler, especially the part which I placed in bold. But I think you are being far too kind to guys like Mariota and Trubisky. They both sucked, their numbers were mediocre to bad, when compared to their peers in this pass-happy era with inflated offensive stats for everyone, and "Trubisky's teams" won because they had a dominant defense in 2018, not because of his play.

11. CotcheryFan

This is why I wanted Lance. I could've lived with him not playing a meaningful snap until 2022. We'll see if Wilson's play in the NFL matches the hype.

12. legler82

I can’t draft anyone that played just one season, in the FBS no less, with the 2nd overall pick. More power to SF, that’s a tremendous risk.

13. CotcheryFan

It's a risk, but playing it safe at QB often means settling for less. I never thought they were taking Jones.

14. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

15. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Brook!, BudJet, Royal Tee and 3 others like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's just as hard for young QB's now. The mental effort to get over the top isn't the hard part though. The hard part is dealing with NFL defenses, which have a clear plan for derailing a young inexperienced Qb whereas the QB has no experience against nor plan to deal with the difference in ability and speed that NFL defenses present.

Wilson is going to get picked next year on plays where he has no idea the defense can get to the ball he just threw. He's going to get sacked on plays where he would never have been threatened in college.

That's why giving him the better part of a year on the sidelines to observe firsthand is such a big deal.

Eli Manning got 9 games and the bye week to prepare and he still sucked balls at that point. However he was not so out of his depth that he could not recover. He might well have been that way though if the Giants let him take a 16 game beating like the 7 game beating he eventually suffered through.

LAJet likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

https://streamable.com/78wba5

TLDR:
    Zach got all the first-team reps and he didn't look like a rookie, he looked like he belonged with the first-team offense.
    Encouraging to hear considering it's only been a couple of days of OTAs so far.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...er-in-his-mind/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

"“He’s relentless in terms of his want for knowledge and in terms of studying,” Robert Saleh said in his Thursday press conference. “It is interesting when he’s watching tape, the things that he’s able to pick up and recognize. He’s already trying to get himself into that ‘501’ world, and it’s almost like, ‘Hey, let’s scout back, let’s keep on learning.’ He’s got a lot of horsepower in his mind and he’s not afraid to use all of it.”"

19. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I feel there is nothing like experience in actual playing time in a real game. I don't care if your Paton or Eli the bumps in the road are bound to happen. I say play Zach from the get-go and see what he has. If he looks like he's totally lost then sit him, but getting experience playing at real speed of the NFL game is the main thing he will have to acclimate himself to & playing experience is the best way to get use to the game speed.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You never want to sit a young QB for more than a series or two to let him regain his equilibrium.

This is why you don't want to put a young guy on the field before you are certain he is ready to go. If you have to sit him after doing that and start somebody else you have begun the process of acknowledging his failure. Injuries are a different thing but if you have to sit a young QB down after putting him on the field it is usually because he's not good enough to play and that is a tough place for a franchise to be, particularly after investing a high pick on the guy.

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.