Zach Wilson is the Leader the Jets Need

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, May 9, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm not sure Foles has what it takes to keep Wilson on the bench for even half a season.

I think the ideal caretaker would be Alex Smith but no idea if he's interested in a job at this point.

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sanchez and Geno had lengthy careers as backups. All signs point to Darnold doing the same.

I mean yeah, that's literally what it is. We see truly good QB's perform decently/well in bad situations all the time. There are tons of examples of QB's elevating those around them. We've never drafted a guy who's done that.

egelband likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

For Alex Smith's own safety, I seriously hope he isn't interested in a job.

cval likes this.
  4. Jason MacIsaac

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Maybe you're right and maybe I'm expecting too little out the gate.

What I do know is that while the level of competition argument may have been debatable against other prospects, this guy will be going from a 12 game season against teams like Troy, Navy and UTSA to a 17 game season against the NFL and it will be all that much harder with limited preparation, a new offensive system with a drastically different blocking philosophy, more new offensive linemen and a rookie coordinator.

Seems like logic would dictate caution.

Brook!, LAJet and legler82 like this.
  6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

That is a different argument that I could agree with. He will have adjustments but I do not think it will be any more than any Rookie. He was three starter and he has played decent comp is his career.

To me the argument is less about his comp in college and more about how quickly he picks up the offense and how good he is at making his reads.

REVISion likes this.
  7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Get outta where?

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I don’t see how the change in competition doesn’t require adjustment as well. He’s a guy that takes chances that other QBs in his class do not. There should be a period of learning what he can and can not get away with. I think I remember reading one of his own coaches expressing the same sentiment. Maybe Zach attempted a lot of the throws he did this past season because he was smart enough to understand that he could against talent he was going against and maybe he will be more conservative in the NFL. That would be a pretty impressive thing for him to navigate. However, that does mean we would be getting a different QB than the one in the highlights you guys love to post. Can’t promise Mahomes and give me Jimmy G. That’s false advertising and a complete bait and switch. What makes Mahomes different is that all the stuff the naysayers said he wouldn’t be able to do in the NFL, he does routinely.

egelband and patleahy like this.
  9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Expecting it day 1 is unrealistic. He will make some wow throws as well as attempt some that will not work out.

The off platform throws is what can potentially make him special but that just might be a screen pass that is able to complete.

You are so down on this kid and take shots whereever you can. False advertising

Just so we can be prepared. You will be on here criticizing every mistake the kid will make for the next three years or will there be a point you wi root for him instead hoping he fails and you are proven right?

10. legler82

I’ve been rooting for/complaining about the Jets for 35 years. Zach Wilson is not going to change my routine. I won’t be rooting for or complaining about Zach any more or less than I did Darnold, who I also wasn’t my preferred choice. You do you and I’ll continue to do me. What I eat don’t make you shit; so you’ll live.

11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Rooting for players on your team to fail is you? Good for you then.

12. legler82

Putting words in people’s mouth for effect is you? Good for you then.

Ralebird likes this.
  13. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

thanks for posting, GAC. Really encouraging to see stuff like this from two of our new draft picks. High character guys, it seems....the type of guys you need to build a really strong culture! :):)

Brook!, egelband, Royal Tee and 2 others like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I won't speak for Abyzmul, but what I took his post to mean is that maybe the problem isn't the QBs as much as the CS and talent collected around them.

But it's not necessarily an "either/or" situation. It's very possible that a team that can't seem to surround a QB with talent, isn't very good at identifying talented QBs.

patleahy likes this.
  15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It is hard find a QB. With that being said I do not think playing as a rookie will make or break a QB.

What makes a Young QB successful in the NFL?

1. Talent (Goes without Saying)
    2. Opportunity
    3. A good O-line
    a. Solid Running Game
    4 Being in the correct system for their talent
    A. Playing multiple years in the same system
    4. Making good reads
    A. Throwing the ball in Rhythm and on time
    5. Throwing into tight windows
    6. Quality Receivers

patleahy likes this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

As cut and dry as some people like to portray it I think it's always a mixed bag as to why QBs fail at the NFL level, sure some aren't the most athletic or don't have the mental makeup to succeed but not all QBs that find some success at the NFL level are elite QBs, there's been plenty of JAGs that can string together a competent season if they are out in the right position. Somehow the Jets just seem to keep finding that JAG that ranks last in everything for 2 straight years before they move on from him, no matter where in the draft that player is selected.

The Jets have not gone out of their way in the past to put quarterbacks in position to succeed, whether they have been good or bad players. Sanchez strikes me as the lone outlier of that trend, at least for 2 seasons when they tried to surround him with talent, though they still started him week 1 and we know it ended up with him wearing some armband with remedial information about the playbook on it.

If they start him week 1 I don't see that as the Jets doing everything in their power to help Wilson succeed, but that's just me.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the fact that our last two young QB's (Sanchez and Geno) have gone on to be career backups lead us to believe that they were just bad QB's? And Sanchez was surrounded by great teams during his time with us. Geno's Jets teams were decent. Sanchez has been on 5 different teams since he left us and Geno has been on 3. That's a lot of different situations for a guy to never rise to the level of starter.

It's too early to say with Darnold but all signs point to his future being similar to Sanchez and Geno.

Drafting good QB's is hard. It's really rare to get a good one, it's just a really difficult position to scout. Most good QB prospects go to bad teams. The ones that are actually good QB's elevate the team around them or at least play decently despite the team being bad.

If Wilson doesn't play well it will be on Wilson.

patleahy likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If our OC does not feel Wilson is ready to take the helm on day one I see nothing what’s so ever wrong with starting a vet and transition him in slowly. It’s whatever it takes for him to be successful for the long haul, not on day one.

ColoradoContrails and patleahy like this.
  19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The Niners took Lance #3. Does anyone expect him to start week one?

I said this previously but I'll state it again. As they currently sit, I don't see how Wilson doesn't start week 1. Now if they sign a veteran, then that's a different story. If they want to bring him along slowly they need to sign. vet QB.

patleahy likes this.
  20. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I agree bickety. Right now, as things currently stand, it looks like: TL starts week 1 for Jags, Wilson starts week 1 for the Jets. Lance, Fields and Jones all sit Week 1 for their respective teams. Unless the Jets sign a veteran who is willing to be a temporary placeholder to pave the way for Wilson to start later on in the year, all indications are that Wilson is trotted out there for Week 1 against Sam and the Panthers.

LAJet likes this.