Welcome to the Jets Alijah Vera-Tucker - OL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 29, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

It's hard to label someone a T1 prospect without a lot of film and a long resume and actual competition.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That may be, but the media finds a way

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  3. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I agree with TwoHeadedMonster, and just wanted to tack on that the technical distinction that there actually IS more Tier 1 talent in this draft, but because of all the reasons he listed, the ability to properly identify it was compromised.

In every draft there is Tier 1 talent that escapes the Tier 1 label because it isn't properly identified, but that pool is generally small. The 2021 NFL draft likely had a larger group of Tier 1 talents without the Tier 1 label. It's kind of cool to think about with the new Jets FO, because if the scouting is really on point, this COVID draft makes it's more likely that you can sneak higher-tiered players into lower round picks.

But yeah, I just wanted to add on that it likely wasn't that the Tier 1/2 talent was far less in this draft, but more likely that the Tier 1/2 labels were down because of the inability to get the previously accepted level of analysis necessary to confidently establish those top labels on the players.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This also makes sense.

5. GasedAndConfused

they need something to talk about and anything NFL related will get views

6. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Totally agree-- it is much more about not being able to evaluate than it is about a lack of talent. Still, the talent pool for this year was smaller for a few reasons, one of which is that players know they didn't have as much exposure to help their draft grade.

For example, 14 players drafted in the first round of the 2020 draft were not NOT ranked in the top 150 college football players by PFF heading into the 2019 season, including #1 overall pick Joe Burrows.
    Those guys had to step up and make a name for themselves in order to get noticed-- and those opportunities just weren't available for prospects in 2020.
    Imagine you were a college player who could have been eligible for this draft, but knew you didn't have a chance to get your full potential noticed, and were likely to be a day 3 pick. NCAA is giving everyone an extra year of eligibility-- if you thought you could elevate up to a second or third round grade, that's money in the bank.

Not everyone was in that situation, or maybe they needed 7th round money now more than 3rd round money next year. Still, it applied to plenty of prospects. Next years' draft will have these guys added in on top of a full slate of on-schedule talent--it will be a great draft to have many picks on hand.

7. NCJetsfan

I disagree. I think it was both. A lot of players returned to school or stayed in school. Undoubtedly, some of those are Tier 1 talents.

8. GasedAndConfused

zach and AVT virtually visit sick kids in hospital

Noam, Borat, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, for the cynics here, this means nothing, but I like it, and I do think it sends a great message.

10. GasedAndConfused

JDs philosophy. A+ players A+ people

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Class act. JD is looking for stand up people that are solid NFL players. I applaud him

Noam, Borat, NCJetsfan and 1 other person like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I couldn't possibly agree more. It's sad how the cynics here don't care about these things, character, and make snide comments about players being "choir boys." It just shows their ignorance.

Noam, Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Jaguars had AVT graded as a perennial All-Pro.

[​IMG]