The 2021 Jets and Beyond have a Bright Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 23, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No need to forgive you. LOL I don't care at all about the "like" click except that it shows that posters like the fact that we have a CS that adept at developing young talent. The like is about the info itself, not that I posted it. Anyone could have done that. It is more that no one responded to it either. I thought that it would stimulate some discussion and give us something positive to talk about/discuss. I'm excited that we finally have a coaching staff that has a track record of developing young players. We haven't had a CS like this in decades. I guess everyone else is too jaded/cynical/pessimistic and won't get optimistic and excited until after we win a SB or two. LOL

Brook! and bicketybam like this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I was just thinking about what to expect from Zach Wilson in his rookie season, so I looked up the past few 1st Round QB's.

2018:
    Baker Mayfield: Came in Week 3 vs the Jets and had solid season. The Browns finished (7-8-1).
    Sam Darnold: Started instantly, showed some flashes, the Jets finished (4-12) and Bowles was fired. (Zach is not coming into a situation like this)
    Josh Rosen: Rosen started Week 4, had some ups, but mostly downs, the Cardinals finished (3-13) and cleaned house, including Rosen.
    Josh Allen: I think Allen came in Week 2, had an up and down season, the Bills finished (6-10).
    Lamar Jackson: Flacco started most of the beginning of that season until injury, then Jackson came in and lead the Ravens to a (10-6) record and the NFC North championship. He would be the NFL MVP the following season.

2019:
    Kyler Murray: I could see Wilson doing something similar here. Murray instantly started, showed some flashes, and the Cardinals looked way better than 2018, yet finished (5-10-1).
    Daniel Jones: He came in Week 3 for Eli Manning. Honestly looked pretty bad, and the Giants finished the season (4-12). Still not sold on him at all.
    Dwayne Haskins: FLOP.

2020:
    Joe Burrow: Started instantly, looked really good, but had his season shortened due to injury.
    Tua Tagovailoa: The Dolphins wanted to start him, but it was clear Fitzpatrick was better so they kept playing musical chairs at QB, costing them a playoff spot. Miami finished (10-6) mostly due to Fitz. The Jets are not in this situation.
    Justin Herbert: This would be the best case scenario for the Jets. Herbert came in Week 2 and never looked back. He had a really good rookie season, the Chargers finished (7-9), losing many close games.
    Jordan Love: He may single-handedly burn down the Packers franchise.

Okay, so when you look at that list, I think fair comparisons for Zach Wilson are Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow, and Justin Herbert. He is going into a similar situation and we should expect similar results. Probably somewhere around 5 to 8 wins. I would be happy with that. Then the Jets could take an even bigger jump in 2022.

What to you guys think?

REVISion likes this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I think those are very realistic expectations. I am excited for our potential running game that could keep us in a lot of games. Win a couple early ones we are not supposed and we could have a run. I think the expectations you laid out are very realistic.

The Dark Knight and REVISion like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

Yeah, I like that the Jets likely won't put too much on Wilson's shoulders too. Allow the run game to open up the passing game, play strong defense, that will be the Jets' plan in 2021.

Footballgod214, Noam and cval like this.
  5. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

This post aged really well, nice call!

6. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

I hate throwing Wilson out there right away. We did the same things in the past with Sam and Sanchez. I would prefer to bring a mentor Journeyman, let him start and allow the staff to instructed and teach Wilson based on that. 6 games into the season Wilson is starting

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

Thank you! Still early, but I like where the Jets are headed.
    Yeah, I trust the Jets coaching staff with making that decision. If Zach is ready to roll Week 1, let him. If not, definitely don't just throw him out there. I think they will sign a back-up QB sometime soon.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

sam had crap for Wrs, run game, and o-line, and coaches
    sanchez had a good o-line and run game but crap WRs and coaching
    zach has a good o-line, good coaching, good WRs, run game may be iffy, we will have to see

The Dark Knight, SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i would feel so much better if we had a vet ready to roll. If Wilson beats him, great. If not, what's the hurry.

The Dark Knight, Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think the measuring stick for 2021 is not wins and losses but do we improve as a team as the season goes on. We have a very young team that is learning a new offensive and defensive system. It will take time to learn the systems and to learn to play together.

I don't care about wins and losses rather by the end of the year I hope we are a competitive team that has improved and is ready to make a leap in 2021. I have no expectations except we will be better than last year and we will not get blown out on a weekly basis where most games are over in the 1st quarter.

I would have preferred to open with a more winnable game like the Eagles, Texans or Jaguars. By mid year we should hopefully be better than Carolina but I would not be surprised if they beat us badly in week one.

#270 Noam, May 12, 2021
    Last edited: May 12, 2021
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I have to believe a vet will be in camp before the training season starts.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

13. The Dark Knight

Yeah, well said, @Noam! I agree with all of that.

I really think they are waiting to see what happens with Foles. They don't want to trade for him because of his contract and they know Chicago has to move on from him. I think that is why they have not signed Mullens or Hoyer yet. Expect one of those guys to be a Jet within the next month.

LAJet likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Spot on Noam. My gut says our defense will be more likely to be up to the challenge early on in the season. How quickly our QB can get up to speed to face the rigor and speed of the NFL will be something to keep an eye on.

Noam likes this.
  15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Almost a repeat of 2009 with rookie HC/QB. Strong defense. Strong Oline & run game. The occasional passes by Nacho catching the other defense off guard! Just swap Nacho out for Zach. Oh and swap out AFCCG for SB!

#275 Footballgod214, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Brook!, The Dark Knight and cval like this.
  16. Footballgod214

I'm starting the season ALL IN on catching lightening in a bottle, circa 2009. I know, I know, less than 1% chance. But that's where my head will be opening day. I'll be dropping $100 on the Jets winning the 2022 SB...current odds are +8000 (bet $100 to win $8000, I think). (Chiefs are +500, Bucs +950, Jets +8000, Texans are the worse at +12,500). I'm waiting for Jets to drop to +10,000 before pulling the trigger!

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Want to just send me $100 instead? You won't get it back regardless.

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

So, you are saying there is a chance?

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I was saying I think I'd spend the money a bit more wisely. But who am I to judge. I threw $1.60 to win $100 and change on Tebow to win comeback player of the year.

HomeoftheJets and Footballgod214 like this.
  20. Footballgod214

I was in vegas years back and dropped a bunch of $10 SB bets, one for each of my work mates depending on what team the rooted for. Pats were among the worse a +2000 (they had just opened the season at 0-2). Pats went on to win the SB, and my work mate tossed me $50 for the tic!

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.