JD did it the Cowboys (the right) way

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jerryjeudy, May 10, 2021.

1. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Hey, I like Zach a lot, and think he has the potential to be an absolute star

I think he has the tools to deliver the football accurately with good ball placement in the NFL, I haven’t stated otherwise

At the same time, he didn’t face the level of cornerbacks/safeties that Jones, Fields and Lawrence faced

Did he face the same level of defensive coordinators, camouflaged coverages, and blitzing schemes with the athletes on defense that could execute those coverages and schemes as Jones/Fields/Lawrence?

I think we both know the answer

He could wind up developing very quickly, but he might need a little more time, especially with all of the things I mentioned including a new coaching staff, new offensive scheme from previous years (OL and WRs will need to learn a brand new system), etc

2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Ummm, Yes

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

You're looking at teams, he was talking about defenses specifically.

4. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

You just admitted the defensive athletes faced by Fields/Jones/Lawrence were better than those faced by Zach

Next...

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Maybe last season . When Lawrence faced Ohio State and LSU , how did he do?

I am done. You are not a knowledgable football person.

6. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

I’ve looked at the defensive rankings and once again there is no competition btwn what Zach faced and what Trevor/Mac/Justin faced

I like Zach as much as anybody, but facts are facts

I think he will be the long-awaited answer for Jets at the QB position and I wanted the Jets to draft him

But to think the Jets are going to the Super Bowl within the next 1-2 years because they finally drafted a QB with a top flight ceiling is seriously stupid

This need to put a rush on his development without taking into account his environment is bizarre — the Jets aren’t the 49ers, they aren’t just a QB away

#46 Jerryjeudy, May 11, 2021
    Last edited: May 11, 2021
  7. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Are we in for another long- off-season of you ramping up the hype and confidently predicting a 12-5 record?

it usually stops sometime around a 1-4 start and you denouncing all the players/staff you are currently ejaculating over.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  8. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Worst to first. It happens a lot in the NFL.

9. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

The Jets have put all fans thru sheer torture via the incompetence of the owners, the front office and the coaching staff, so it’s understandable why strong emotions rule the day around here

The point of this thread was to talk about JD and how his handling of the 2021 draft with the first 4 picks served as evidence that he actually has a blueprint that appears to be an effective one for developing a rookie franchise QB, something that the last few GMs failed to do — Darnold never had a chance to develop here

Posting about the Jets going to the Super Bowl in 1-2 years or Zach facing the same quality of defensive competition as Trevor/Fields/Mac is not helpful or realistic

ouchy likes this.
  10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

We can have a lot of success very quickly. Super Bowl is the goal, but not the only indicator of success.

Not a single person is saying SB in 1 year.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

The part that is missed is that no QB in college ever has faced an NFL level defense. even if zach faced easier defenses then others, it's irrelevant because they all faced easier defenses then they will see in the NFL. it's why I don't pay attention to college stats much. You have to watch the film and see how their game translates to the NFL

Jerryjeudy and PennyandtheJets like this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm lazy and not going to do the work here but Terry Bradshaw, Jim Plunkett, Doug Williams, Phil Simms, John Elway, Steve Young, Troy Aikman and Drew Brees come to mind immediately as guys who didn't play well enough over their first few years and yet eventually led teams to the Super Bowl. A host of other guys disappointed early but were good enough to take teams to the playoffs once they found their footing including Vinny Testaverde.

The biggest variable for the guys who failed early and blossomed into good QB's? Their initial team blew chunks and by this I mean it was a big loser before they arrived and took years (if ever) to straighten that out.

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The Jets need at least a year before reaching the playoffs becomes a realistic possibility. The offense needs to develop cohesion and the defense lacks a #1 CB, dominant Edge, and LB's beyond Mosley.

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They had a better chance this year and likely next also if they just kept Sam and used the #2 on an asset to help. Not going to repeat all the non-support arguments in depth but whoever QB's the Jets this year will have a better OL, WR corps and runningbacks than Darnold ever had access too. This is without the #2 pick being used to support the QB in any way.

And of course Darnold has a better OL, better WR corps and better runningbacks in Carolina than he ever had access too with the Jets so the Panthers will be the beneficiary if he grows up this year.

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Should be fun to watch what happens over the next two years. With a few additions to the D in 2022, we might field the most complete team since 2015 where QB play determines our fate.

16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I have very few qualms with how JD played the draft. I dont know if addressing the OL is the Cowboys way, but its the best way to put your QB in a situation to succeed.

Drafting a QB at 2 was a no brainer. It sucks that the Jets did nothing to help Darnold, but he was a lame duck QB who needed to make an unprecedented improvement in order to be the Jets future QB.

Wilson wasn't the QB I wanted, but its not like I hated him. Put him in a good situation and we'll get a chance to legitimately see what he can do. I wouldn't be shocked if OL was addressed in the first round again next year. Go draft the best center you can find, and continue to help your franchise QB.

17. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Fair point!

I can’t argue with that...

Zach could be good from the get go and make any necessary adjustments to a brand new offensive system and tighter NFL throwing windows... the offensive line could gel overnight with the brand new blocking scheme... the WRs could all soak up the new playbook overnight and the coaches could instantly figure out which players excel at specific plays... everything could happen quickly.... but this idea that as fans we should have that expectation with all the changes that have occurred since last year and coming off the past few abysmal seasons... with a rookie coach and rookie QB... seems like many are already setting unrealistic expectations for Zach and the team

I hope things turn around very rapidly as a Jets fan, but why is there this need to set unrealistic goals for Zach?

And for the Jets?

The secondary is weak and so is the pass rush

The offense was putrid last year in every way

Special teams has been a perennial shit show

I’d be thrilled with 6-7 wins this year

That would be an excellent start for this new regime

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

well we are in the middle of a rebuild. we basically started last year as JDs full offseason but really feels more like this year because new coaching staff, new system, new rookie QB. but as far as I can tell we have a good GM, lots of picks and cap room and are on the right path to be a legit contender in a year or 2

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  19. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Would kill to see Douglas lock down a real Edge rusher and a top level corner in the draft within the next 1-3 years

I’d prefer the focus to remain on offense in the 2022 draft like we’ve seen in 2020 and 2021, with TE and another OL looking like the biggest needs, in order to support Zach’s development in his 2nd year

Obviously if significantly better prospects at corner and edge are available when the Jets are picking in Round 1/2, by all means Douglas should go defense

Hope Mims can take a big leap this year, he definitely has the right frame to provide a nice catch radius and the high end speed to match — his route running and footwork are the question marks right now in terms of fit for this new offensive system

Assuming Mims takes a leap this year, with Davis/Mims/Moore I expect Crowder to not be resigned and the Jets would be looking pretty good at WR

If Mims doesn’t seem to be panning out or gets hit by the injury bug again and is still an unknown, I really wouldn’t mind another WR to be taken in Rounds 1/2 next year

Zach needs all the water and sunshine he can get in Years 1/2/3, the organization and the fanbase really can’t mentally afford another Darnold right now

#59 Jerryjeudy, May 11, 2021
    Last edited: May 11, 2021
  20. GasedAndConfused

Offense is pretty good. we are log jammed at WR. we used 2nd rounders on mims and moore in the past 2 drafts plus signed davis to a good contract. crowder and cole are on their last years but they can be resigned plus free agency it's easy to find WR4-5 without spending much. We do need a TE, I expect one taken in the top 3 rounds next year. herndon can bounce back but in this offense having 2 is very helpful unless you have a kittle which we don't. O-line is pretty set too. we used 2 top 15 picks in back to back years to shore up the left side. mcgovern is a good C. fant is good enough. we really just need a RG for now. The good thing is we have a lot of flexibility and this year will be an audition for many to keep their jobs on the jets