JD did it the Cowboys (the right) way

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jerryjeudy, May 10, 2021.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Jones 3 SB rings, Johnson 0. That is better than slightly

2. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Their cornerbacks suck and without any good edge pressure, they struggle with putting consistent pressure on the QB — hard to stop opposing offenses with current defense

They will be starting a rookie QB with limited experience playing at the college level

The offensive line will take time to gel

All new coaching staff on both sides of the ball

They can win more games soon, but as far as a Super Bowl, which is what was specifically written, getting there in the next 1-2 years is virtually impossible

This is a 3-4 year rebuilding and gelling process, objectively speaking

Coming off last year’s debacle, if Jets can win 6 games this year, it would be a good year

Challenging for a playoff spot in Years 2-3 would be an excellent turnaround

Getting to a Super Bowl before Years 4-5 would be a miracle

“Winning soon” and “Super Bowl” are different goals

3. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

more excuses for Darnold?
    gtfoh w/ that BS

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Jimmy Johnson built those teams even though he didn't get to coach the last one because Jerry Jones ran his SB-organizing coach out of town.

Jerry Jones is 0-25 since then in bringing the Lombardi Trophy to Dallas.

LAJet and themorey like this.
  5. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Let’s see how he does on the Panthers before making any final judgements on Darnold... I think some are going to be surprised by his “improvement”

What kind of stats do you think Pat Mahomes would have put up with the Jets during the past 3 years?

Any QB drafted by the Jets in 2018 would have sucked in 2018, 2019 and 2020...

So Darnold sucking doesn’t mean he sucks, it means that he might suck

The fact that he had a 4-game span in both 2018 and 2019 where he looked like a top 10 NFL QB actually provides some evidence that he could be good — he may have the ability to play at that level more consistently if he has a solid OL and WRs who can actually get open

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Bad quarterbacks can have good stretches of games. That doesn't mean their ceiling is suddenly higher. See below - I posted this analysis of such a while ago.

HomeoftheJets and REVISion like this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think we know what Darnold's ceiling is at this point. We've mapped out his floor pretty well though.

I give him a 50/50 chance of being a decent starting QB and maybe a 10% chance of developing into a star.

8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Zach was a three year starter in college.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  9. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

That’s true, I should have said “limited experience playing against top flight competition at the college level”, meaning the defensive schemes and defensive players he faced don’t resemble what he’ll see at the NFL level, so it’s natural to expect that his development is going to lag behind somebody playing in one of the better conferences like a Trevor Lawrence

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Very flawed logic. The schemes he faced are not any different than any other college QB coming out of school. Go back and look at the defenses and where they ranked in FBS you maybe surprised.

On top of that the offense he ran at BYU was much closer to a pro offense than anything Trevor ran in college.

I don't mind an opinion but at least try to educate yourself first

Lon Chaney likes this.
  11. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I'm not really understanding the thread title any time soon. Anyone else? Frankly, I cannot remember when was the last time the Cowboys did it the right way? They even eff'd up Bill Parcells who was never the same person after that experience and made him fade into oblivion.

The Cowboy's offensive line has gotten much worse, not better. The receivers are ok, but nothing that out of this world. Elliot is a disaster on the field and his contract is detrimental to the franchise. Dak Prescot's contract is terrible, plus he's coming off a long injury layoff. Rarely are you ever the same player when you have a long layoff, especially in the NFL and at QB.

Also, the major problem that the Cowboys face going forward is that they are too offensive-minded with regards to the salary cap. You cannot win with such an imbalance, especially when the players on offense aren't superstars, to begin with. Dallas is in a huge mess. The only thing going for them is a terrible division.

The Dolphins, Patriots, and Bills would easily win that division. The QBs in the NFC East are unbelievably mediocre. You have Jalen Hurts, Danny Dimes, 82 year old Ryan Fitpatrick who will probably end up being the best QB in the division & Dak Prescott who hasn't played much in 2 years.

I like the Cowboys new LB, that's about it.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

right. And Woody Johnson is just simply 0-25 forever.

If Jerry Jones with 3 super bowl rings sucks then how badly does Woody suck? NY has the same, or better resources than Dallas anyway

13. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Fair enough

To say that he is definitely a bust is premature given the lack of OL/WR/RBs the Jets provided him, along with the lack of coaching

Jets had arguably the worst offensive skill position players in the NFL during Sam’s tenure, the worst OL, the worst offensive coordinators (multiple) and the worst head coach — so how was he supposed to develop into a good QB here?

He might already be ruined due to the Jets’ negligence

If not, I think he still has the potential to develop into a top 10 QB — maybe 7th-8th best in the right system

We’ll all find out soon enough — no excuses for him on the Panthers

I’ll continue to root for him as he really got a bum deal here

14. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Get your franchise QB, then use high draft picks on OL, WR and RB immediately to maximize the probability of developing him into a star

Cowboys did that and Dak developed amazingly well before being injured

This post isn’t about team success, but how to develop your franchise QB, which the Jets failed to do with Darnold

JD just got his franchise QB in 2021 and immediately mimicked what the Cowboys did for Dak

OL/WR/RB the next 3 picks, choosing to not waste high picks on defense this year, which is what the Jets kept on doing year after year AFTER picking Darnold

JD also drafted the prototype WR for today’s NFL in terms of indirectly protecting the QB and drafted a RB with good receiving ability as well to serve as another outlet for Zach

What’s so hard to understand about that?

15. Jonathan_Vilma

I think the Cowboys issues are rooted moreso in the organizational meddling that Jones does with the players rather than the talent pool. They have a very talented roster on papers but you get complacent players like Zeke and Amari Cooper when they're put on a pedestal by the owner.

They also handle contracts pretty well because Stephen Jones is a good talent evaluator and usually insists on the six year contract to spread out the cap hits appropriately. He just needs his dad to fuck off completely.

Never liked the Zeke or Cooper signings though and they gave Jaylon Smith way too much money too quickly. For one, you never pay a runningback that much money and secondly, Cooper has a long history of disappearing for stretches whether it be because of small injuries or potential laziness. There were stretches of games where I can't get the image out of my head of him pouting on the sidelines this past year while they fought for their playoff lives.

McCarthy was also the wrong hire and they held on to Garrett too long despite consistent mediocrity. And for what it's worth I think under different circumstances without a micromanagement ownership, I think Garrett is one of the few that has a chance to be a good second opportunity coach. It's just tough for there to be any disciplinary or accountability type atmosphere when the owner is consistently handing every player tissues in his office when they get upset.

It undermines accountability big time when you don't theoretically really answer to the head coach.

16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sam would be an extreme outlier if he goes on to become a decent starting QB. Guys who start their careers like him have generally had about a 10% chance of ever becoming an average starter in the league. The chances of him becoming an above average starter are <5%.

17. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

I’ll take another look at the quality of the defenses he faced

From what I’ve already seen, the cornerback talent he faced was subpar in comparison to Fields, Lawrence and Mac Jones

Here is the murderer’s row of defensive opposition Zach faced:

https://byucougars.com/schedule/football/2020

Here is what Trevor Lawrence faced:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/228

Fields faced:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/194

Mac Jones faced:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/333

Looks like it’s not me who needs to be educated here...

Time to stop projecting and take your own advice

#37 Jerryjeudy, May 11, 2021
    Last edited: May 11, 2021
    ouchy and Bellys Lies like this.
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

That is an argument that can be made. The scheme argument is nonsense.

What stands out about ZW when you watch his tape is ball placement. He is very accurate. MIms and Davis being big body receivers will help ZW and having a quick person in slot well, can be very exciting. This will be the best receivers Zach has ever played with I am not sure you can say the same for the rest of the QBs you mentioned.

BYU does hold wins against USC and TN with Zach at the helm.

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I agree with all of the except for Dak. He got hurt midseason last year. He has not been out for two years and he will be the best QB in the division but quite a large margin. His contract you are spot on.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

This is why, regardless of who our quarterback was going to be next year, Corey Davis is a great signing. He's one of those big bodied receivers who can be open when he's covered and fits the true X mold that we've only really had twice since Keyshawn left. Three times it you factor in that Decker and Marshall (along with Braylon Edwards) basically played the same possession role.

cval likes this.