Robert Saleh: Front office working “relentlessly” to sign Marcus Maye long term

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 9, 2021.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Apparently we are trying to sign him long term but due to his age, I just wonder what type of contract Joe D is discussing with Marcus's agent.

Do you see any chance of him being traded if a long term deal can't be done before training season?

Here is the article about what Saleh said on Marcus Maye's contract situation.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...g-relentlessly-to-sign-marcus-maye-long-term/

Jets coach Robert Saleh said he has talked to Maye, whose signing to a long-term deal is a priority for General Manager Joe Douglas.

“We had a really nice discussion and obviously him and his agent are working with Joe on trying to get his deal done, and hopefully that happens soon,” Saleh said, via NFL Media. “I have a tremendous amount of respect for what [players] are going through. Again, you guys know my philosophy: I think these kids have earned the right to ask for whatever they can, especially when they do things the right way like [Maye] has. Joe and his staff are working relentlessly to get something done.”

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It wasn't a coincidence that JD drafted a couple of guys who could play Safety.

3. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

All gas, no brake!!! If Saleh guides us to our first Super Bowl since Joe Willy, I will convert to Islam! I am already reading about the Five Pillars!!! ;)

azhar80 likes this.
  4. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

I think will try to sign him but they will do it within reason. There is a reason they drafted 3 safeties if they can get him to sign for reasonable contract fine if not they will move him if 1 of these guys do a good job.

5. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Translation: Front office trying to convince him to sign for less money than he wants.

REVISion and BrowningNagle like this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Did they sign those 3 safeties to play them at Safety or at LB, they were announced as LB's when selected I thought

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Exactly. Still the same old Jets. Cheap with their homegrown players, foolishly extravagant with free agents from other teams.

8. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Pay this man

SOJAZ, K'OB and cval like this.
  9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Except they didn't foolishly overpay anyone this past off season. The three big contacts they gave out are extremely team friendly, fill area of needs with young players, and were right around market value. Foolish would be to go crazy on a contract for Maye.

I like Maye. He has exceeding my expectations. I think he is a solid player, not exceptional. The main issue here is that he is 28 years old and under contract for this year. So realistically, your are looking at a 29 year old player for next season, playing a non-premium position. What do you want to pay him? If both sides can find an agreement, great. If not, he plays out this year and is replaced. That's exactly how smart teams do it.

PJ4Ever and amuck57 like this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

How can you run with this routine when you have no idea what Maye wants and especially considering we didn't overpay anyone this offseason?

PJ4Ever likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

Because like it or not, this organization has a track record. You can count on 1 hand the number of Jets players to receive a 2nd contract since the rookie wage scale went into effect 10 years ago

ouchy and cval like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

Joe Douglas was handed full control of football ops this year. Even if you want to take into account last year... he traded away the guy that had crazy contract demands that no one wanted back. I'd say he played that situation perfectly. And unless you're still upset about Robby god damn Anderson, there's no track record yet to speak of.

13. BrowningNagle

I guess we're just gonna forget he traded away Sam Darnold as well

14. BroadwayAaron

OK, so he traded away a player that was either going to flop or get paid big bucks based off one big year and turned it into 3 picks and reset the financial clock on the QB position. What an asshole he is.

15. BrowningNagle

I never said he was an asshole. He seems like a good family man

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, years past are gone. JD is not known for overpaying in either scenario. Only homegrown product JD low balled was Anderson. Getting rid of Adam was a smart move. Overpaying for a lazy ass non contributor and non team player like Mo Wilks because he was homegrown was a massive mistake. So there is that.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't see why $10-11 million over four years with an out after three is a bad deal. Even at a non-premium position, Maye is a good player and will be able to go back to his natural free safety center field fit. He's excellent at it and is similar to Devin McCourty albeit not as much of a ball hawk.

McCourty has been a super underrated player in my eyes for the Patriots style of bend don't break defense. Maye limits big plays because he doesn't let anyone get behind him in the same way McCourty has for a decade for the Pats.

I imagine the negotiations are not as simple as I made them though. I'm sure Maye wants more money and years of assurance but I don't see why he's going to decline in a big way into his 30s given his play style.

SOJAZ and Jets79 like this.
  18. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

That's the whole point JV. If Maye was asking for 4/40 with 20 guaranteed, he'd most likely be signed already

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

True enough. However I feel like the offer is likely between $10-12 million per year. I'd imagine the major hang up is the years and guaranteed money. Maybe they're only offering two years which is a bit short-sighted IMO. He doesn't play a position like corner, receiver or runningback that has a nearly definitive steep decline at a certain age.

20. toddhershkowitz

toddhershkowitz Active Member