Zach Wilson is the Leader the Jets Need

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, May 9, 2021.

1. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Zachety Zach Zach. Zachety Sax, anyone?

Interesting to look back on old threads from 2018, with titles like:

Why Big Mac is a mad genius

Darnold is wise beyond his years

Excellent Read about Sam's personality from his best friend

Sam Darnold's best trait that we aren't talking enough about

Jets GM calls Darnold unflappable

Sam Darnold: Not Thinking Like a Rookie

The Jets are going to be 11-5

etc etc etc

Ron

2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Glad we can count on Ron to wipe his ass with the optimism of the past.

KingRoach likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Gase's problem wasn't ADHD/OCD, it's that he was a bad coach and a douchebag.

SOJAZ, Big Cat, Noam and 3 others like this.
  4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Definitely not intending to trash Sam.

Many Jets fans are rooting for him to have success in Carolina, but is not unfair to say he never really stepped up as a leader.

Again, not the point of the video. I’m more so highlighting what appears to be a real strength for Zach.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. PennyandtheJets

Well said and exactly on point.

This post/video is more or less a comparison between Wilson and Pennington’s work ethic and leadership skills.

Darnold was mentioned, but in no way was I bashing him. Good kid. Wish him luck. I have moved on though.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

One of my favorite Pennington memories, and I may be a little off in the details, was when he completed a deep pass against the Steelers in the playoffs. The defender sort of let the receiver go because they figured there was no way Chad could get him the ball. After he completed the pass he pulled up his sleeve and flexed his biceps muscle on his throwing arm. It was fucking awesome. I'm pretty sure that was the game we lost when our kicker kept missing field goals. Anyone else remember that moment?

phubbadaman and Jets81 like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

From what I've seen of your podcasts/videos/postings, I think you have a very good angle/perspective on what the fans want to see. You don't get crazy over the top one way or the other (so far anyway), and you don't get bogged down in the minutiae and details that make what you're trying to say hard to understand. Good work! Keep it up, and don't let the criticisms affect you too much that they cause you to change your style.[​IMG]

NCJetsfan and PennyandtheJets like this.
  8. twown

twown Well-Known Member

You might be right about the trust issue, but I don't agree with your assessment of that scenario. IMO, a real leader, if he's young, should be open to sharp criticism. If a young QB gives off the vibe that he can't be rebuked by a veteran for a stupid mistake, THAT speaks volumes to me. If he crumbles in the face of tough love, how the hell is he going to grow?

Now, if a QB is still getting screamed at by veterans when he's 27, ok, there's a problem.

SOJAZ and jetstopgun like this.
  9. PennyandtheJets

Very cool of you to say this. Yes, that is what I try to do on the channel. Encourage a respectful discussion/debate amongst the viewers/commenters.

Thanks again for the compliment. Only been doing this for 4.5 months so definitely room to improve :cool:

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

At least he signed it off.

K'OB

Jets81 likes this.
  11. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Agree!! some already have him getting his HOF speech ready... can we see him play in the league first?? I’ve been a Jets fan since Joe Willie ... I’m pulling for Wilson in the worst way to Succeed I’m sorry if I don’t go gaga over 3 days of rookie ball in May

legler82, CotcheryFan and Noam like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

But can you at least be a teensy weensy bit optimistic?:D

I've been a Jets fan since they were the NY Titans, and have been dying for a QB like Namath since he left. IDK if Wilson is that guy, but he's our latest chance at it, so I'm going to hope for the best until SOJ rears its ugly head again.

SOJAZ, NYGANGGREEN, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  13. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

its always funny when the jets bring in a new player, especially a qb to see people reach both for reasons why he will be great and why he will be bad.

the only thing that we can guarantee is that time will tell what kind of a qb he is. and even then there will be guys who think he was great and guys who thought he sucked. just like every other qb. if he is terrible they may point to the fact he led them to nfc divisional playoff victories, or that they didnt surround him with any talent or that the hc sucked balls.

and there will be others that will talk about how he was inaccurate as hell and could barely complete passes at the line of scrimmage at a 50% clip, that the rest of the team carried him and his mediocre performances, that he will be the man at the next place he goes. blah blippity blah blah blah..

14. jetstopgun

I like Wilson a lot and understand the move to get him he has a Mahomes like quality that can’t be denied and I’m pulling for him in the worst way...but after 50 years of waiting can we wait for live action first

CotcheryFan and ouchy like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

As I said, we sure need to wait before we have anything conclusive to hang onto, but for now, like Noah, I'll take some sunshine however I can get it.

PennyandtheJets, BudJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. jetstopgun

I totally get it and understand your logic unfortunately how many times have we seen that movie before??.... I’ll wait...I’m not from Missouri but I do like there phrase SHOW ME

NCJetsfan, PennyandtheJets and SOJAZ like this.
  17. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I remember that - the Jets had that game won and lost in the final moments to fall to 1-4 and everybody including myself figured the season was over.

Not a chance ......

The Dark Knight likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

Fair enough. No argument from me.

jetstopgun likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, we have all been burned by the Jets. This time of year is always the time for fluff pieces in the media, and for fans to become hopeful and excited. If we can't be hopeful and excited now, when can we be? In the past,it was more hope against hope, like taking shots in the dark. I understand the caution and cynicism, but I think there is genuine, realistic reason to be hopeful and excited this time. We've never hired a GM who was respected widely in the NFL and was thought to be the best candidate. Normally, people are laughing at the Jets for their GM hire. He not only got the org chart changed, but hired what was the consensus top HC candidate himself. He had a great FA and a great draft. We have a true FQB prospect, should have a good OL, and have what are potentially the best weapons on offense that we've had in a long, long time.

mrjet80 and SOJAZ like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think my favorite memory of Pennington is when he "juked" a LB or DB and ran for a 10-yard TD. The juke was almost a stumble and fall, I think, and I'm sure that that LB/DB caught hell from his teammates laughing at his being "juked" by Pennington.