Top 5 - New York Jets - Position Battles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, May 8, 2021.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think olb is a bigger battle than slot wr

and rg is the 1 battle to watch

2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

It would be amazing if the player on the left won each battle except for #3. All draft picks or UDFA

#22 mrjet80, May 8, 2021
    Last edited: May 8, 2021
    patleahy and PennyandtheJets like this.
  3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Definitely agree with the RG being one of the most important ones.

Certainly you could make the case for the WLB spot.

This list isn’t necessarily the most important position battle...just the ones I am intrigued to watch.

Definitely can’t wait to watch Nasirildeen, Sherwood, Cashman go at it though.

joelip, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  4. PennyandtheJets

Indeed lol

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I imagine that Crowder will start, at least initially, but Moore may be so good that the Jets can't keep him off the field. Now Moore has the advantage that he can line up wide, in the backfield or in the slot, so that will help him get more reps on the field, and help Crowder stay on too, but I can't imagine that they'll want to keep Mims or Davis off the field that much, either.

6. NCJetsfan

Tits up is a bad thing? IMO "tits" and "bad" don't belong in the same sentence. LOL

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You have a point, I just looked to see why we say it.
    It is used as rude slang instead of belly up, some doubts but it likely gained traction in WW1 in the trenches, when people are dead on their back or fallen back into the trench upside down going tits up.
    Saying that the amount of plastic in tits in the US, the expression tits up could mean something else altogether lol:D

#27 K'OB, May 9, 2021
    Last edited: May 9, 2021
    PennyandtheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. PennyandtheJets

THIS is why I mentioned this specific battle. These two are 100% going to be competing for reps. The one that makes more plays with his targets will start to play more and more.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I agree with this line of thinking. However, I notice that some pundits are saying that there's no way Crowder should be on the team if the other WR's are healthy. The reasoning is (according to one guy) that Moore can do things Crowder can't and should start. Since Cole is a good #4 receiver, we'd be wasting over $10M (Crowder's salary minus his dead cap charge) to have Crowder basically sit on the bench.

Thankfully, the same commentator says that we should hang onto Crowder through training camp in case one of our WR's or another team's starting WR's (i.e., trade opportunity) gets hurt. Whoever thought over the last couple of years that we would have a glut of good WR's that other teams would want to trade assets to us for?:D

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I think there are things that Moore could learn from Crowder, and there's something to be said for giving Zach as many reliable weapons as we can. I like Crowder a lot, but am somewhat torn. I'd like to see him stay and help Zach develop, but if clearing that $10 million in cap space would enable JD to sign a CB or LB this year or next or a player at another position of need that we otherwise wouldn't be able to sign, then I can see the point in trading him. Also, if a contender loses their slot WR during TC, we could wind up getting a pretty good pick or player for him.

I think I'll be happy either way, but definitely am leaning towards keeping him.

NYGANGGREEN and joelip like this.
  11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Moore is a rookie and Mims is a second year player.

We should let crowder play out the year and hope we don't need to pay him next year.

Crowder is going to be Wilson's best friend when an edge rusher is bearing down on him.

12. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Yeah, I also want to give Wilson every possible advantage that might contribute to his success. And considering that our long-run top 3 receivers (Davis, Mims, Moore) are pretty much set in stone, it would be an upset if the Jets even attempt to give Crowder another big contract next year.

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

14. PennyandtheJets

Definitely agree. I think it would be a major mistake to let Crowder go.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.