Do you mind sharing a stadium with the Giants?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, May 6, 2021.

1. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I’m just peeved that they don’t actually playing in New York. The stadium should have been in Queens situated next to the Mets. Any of the boroughs really but they should have been in NY.

MetLife stadium is awful though. You look at what they spent and think how could they get it so wrong.

AJW and matt robinson 17 like this.
  2. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

yes, it f'n sucks.

3. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

IIRC, from when the two stadiums existed side by side, most, if not all, of the upper deck of Met Life is higher than the highest row of Giants' Stadium

RPOZ51 likes this.
  4. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I never thought of that, but you're right!
    [​IMG]

5. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I already don't see them in North Jersey. 0% chance of me ever going to a game in NY.

Move it to Central Jersey if we move anywhere. Give NJ an actual team.

6. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

There is little chance they can get the fans to cough up anything for PSL's if they decide to build their own stadium. As it is the fans will be screaming that existing PSL holders should be able to transfer them to a new stadium with no cost.

I don't see it. That hunk of crap garbage can with louvers will be their home for a while longer. I forget how long the Jets committed (2025 or so comes to mind, I think either team has a opt out after 15 years then every 5 years after that) but they will be there beyond their original commitment date.

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Dual purpose stadiums are no good for baseball and no good for football - that's why they all got replaced.

When each NFL team last shared a stadium with an MLB team : nfl (reddit.com)

Side by side stadiums that share parking and incentivize the surrounding communities to have good businesses are the way to go. If a Lucas Oil type stadium was built over the site of Shea it would be a home run for the area, especially with the tennis center across the street.

For those still lamenting the failure of the West Side Stadium Story to come to fruition were you willing to give up any chance of tailgating? Ride the train in, ride the train out as soon as the game was over or out of hand?

#87 Ralebird, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree that the stadium should have been in Queens. Getting to and leaving the games would have been a nightmare for everyone. The highways are always crowded, especially on Sundays. The #7 train sucks. Where would they have put it? With CitiField and the Tennis Center, and the Worlds Fair Park, I don't think there would have been room. Queens was never an option for the stadium and imo never should have been. The West Side was a perfect location. Fans from Jersey could take the bus or Jersey Transit into Penn Station, Long Island Fans could have taken Metro North in. There are a gazillion subway lines that fans could have taken to get there.

The race track in Westchester Co. was the 2nd best site. Metro North could have added a stop. It would have been easier for LI Jets fans to get to the game and they'd have had less traffic nightmares. People from Westchester and Jersey could have driven easily. Fans could have taken the subway to Yonkers and then taken a cab.

9. twown

twown Well-Known Member

But I think the field surface in the old building is actually lower. Hard to tell, but it looks that way.

10. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

The field in the old place was below street level. I remember walking by from the outside when the doors were open. There were ramps leading down to field level.

11. Odessa83

Odessa83 Member

To be fair , a lot of teams don’t play in the cities they represent. For example , The Cowboys play in Arlington. The 49ers play like 30 miles from San Fran . So the Jets not playing in NYC is not unusual. I mean the meadowlands are a stones throw away from NYC. Literally right on the Hudson. So it’s not all bad.

As for the stadium, no excuses . What everyone is saying is absolutely correct.

12. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

I would have been first in line at the ticket booth, easily recognizeable with the FU Silver tee shirt.

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

There is plenty of room in Queens and plenty of roads to get you there - why would that be a big problem now that never has been before? Shea and Citifield existed on the same property during construction of the latter and now the junkyards to the east are almost all gone which would provide plenty of room for parking and some new businesses for the area. Both stadiums could coexist north of Roosevelt Avenue.

The seven train has been taking people to Flushing Meadows for games for over sixty years. Long Islanders don't ride Metro North - why would they? And to drive to Westchester means they'd need to drive right past the Citifield area - how is that easier?. People don't want to take a train to a football game and forego tailgating and the Yonkers Raceway site isn't big enough for a stadium with adequate parking. It sounds like you're not real familiar with the area.

If Manhattan is a "perfect location" does that mean you too have no interest in tailgating before and after a football game?

14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

It's never really bothered me.

When I lived in Washington Heights I was all about the Meadowlands. It was an amazing 15 minute drive. Now that I have moved to LI, I'm all for a move to Queens LOL.