Jets WR best in a long time?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, May 6, 2021.

1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

:( Can I get a "barely missed" ?

Rob Moore 987
    Al Toon 963

Moore averaged 14.1 yards/catch and Toon averaged 13.0. So they were only 4-5 catches short of making the list.

NCJetsfan and Br4d like this.
  2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Moore would have averaged more yards per attempt if he could stay on his feet. Maybe it was just be but it always felt as though he would dive or jump unnecessarily for most of his catches. Really good WR but I think he left a lot of YAC on the field.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  3. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

That would have been so good.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I didn't care about losing morton. always felt he was overrated. it was more scheme and unit that made our special teams good. but coles/moss/chrebet was a really good top 3 for us. not to mention after losing coles we wound up trading a 2nd rounder for jusitn mccariens which was awful. gave up the 42nd overall pick for a WR who never reached 5 TDs or 800 yards in the 4 years we had him plus paid him big money. same year terell ownes got traded for a 2nd rounder (51st overall).

The only saving grace in hindsight is that the entire 2nd round of that draft was ass and the WR group was ass. we wouldn't have done better then mccariens with that pick. and we did get cochery in the 4th who wound up the best WR in that draft who wasn't picked in the top 3 overall and 2nd best WR in that draft class. so in hindsight he actually got us 2 good WRs overall with a 2nd and 4th rounder and better then anything else we could have gotten

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Also 2006 - Coles 1098 and Cotchery 961.

I'm not sure any team has been blessed with the kind of heart receivers the Jets have had over the years.

Wesley Walker catching the deep bombs with one good eye. Al Toon getting nailed over and over again to make a catch before they started protecting vulnerable receivers. Wayne Chrebet making Hofstra 5'8" style into one of the best clutch receivers in the NFL. Cotchery groin for broke.

It has been such a privilege to watch these guys over the years.

6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

On paper maybe...

I think its hard to definitively say as Mims hasn't shown it outside of flashes and Moore hasn't played an NFL snap. However if Mims makes the leap, Davis looks even close to how he play with Tennessee last year, Moore has some wow moments and Cole and Crower look like good veterans then yes it will be the best in long time.

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Jets released Josh Doctson today. Guy was on the roster for a long time, and I'm not sure they ever even issued him a helmet.

8. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

It’s hard to believe that Chris Hogan (pro lacrosse player) was a week 1 starter last year.

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I love this. Jab jab punch. Perfect. With 3-4-5 WRs who can run routes, take the top off a D, and GET OPEN Zack should always have at least 1 WR wide open. Then BAM! 40yrd bomb. Works so much better than one Megatron and 3 other WRs who cant buy a yard of separation. Good call!

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, it's like the buffoons that Woody Johnson hired to be GM didn't know what to do with our WRs. None of those buffoons are still here. It's time to let go of the past. Teams don't do anything in terms of personnel. It's the GM.

11. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

To say that all 4 WRs are capable of putting 1000 yard season together is not right. 1 of them is a rookie who hasn't played a snap, Mims is in his 2nd year and has barely shown what he's capable of. In 6 seasons Crowder has never broke 900 yards. Corey Davis is the only one where you can say he's capable of it, even when he still hasn't done it.

I have high hopes for Mims and Moore but in no way am I ready to brand them 1000 yard recievers.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't say this season, nor did I say that they are already 1,000 yard receivers, and I said nothing about "branding" them 1,000 yard receivers, whatever the heck that means. That said, rookie WRs have put 1,000 seasons before, I believe. I said that they are all capable, and they are. Just because Moore is a rookie doesn't mean that he isn't capable of putting up a 1,000 yard season. The same goes for Moore and Crowder. Based on your comments, I doubt that you even understand what the word "capable" means? It sure doesn't sound like it. But if you do, then you need to work on your reading comprehension.

13. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

To say a rookie WR is capable of breaking 1000 yards without having played one snap is interesting. If you're trying to say 'its possible', then i guess its possible you become president tomorrow but I honestly would doubt that for many reasons.

To say a veteran like Crowder is capable of breaking 1000 yards when he has literally never shown any evidence of doing it in his 6 year career is even more interesting.

I guess the next thing you'll be saying is that all 4 WRs are capable of being Hall of Famers. Why stop there. I'd start dubbing the WR we're going to draft next year capable of being the next jerry rice.

14. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

The Braylon/Holmes/Jco/Brad Smith group I have an affinity for. I always wished they kept Coles instead of cutting him in preseason.
    I’d say the most talented group though-although maybe not at the time-was the Brandon Marshall/Decker/Quincy/Anderson. I really wish that group made it, reminded me of a real franchise.
    Having a good 1/2 to transition to.

I hope the keep the current WR group intact, can’t have too many weapons for ole Zach Wilson!

GasedAndConfused likes this.