What to do with CJ Mosley

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, May 5, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

so with that we are basically borrowing roughly 32.5 mil per team so over the next 5 years each team will give back 7.5 mil. that's not that bad at all especially with the cap set to go up this season and even more next season thanks to the extra game, 2 extra playoff spots, and new tv deals. not to mention that stadiums are expected to be full this season again

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Yes it will level out but there won’t be a large jump for the 2022 Cap. In future planning, teams had prepared for the 2021 season to be at least $210 million, and even higher in 2022. So from a planning perspective, most teams will still be dealing with a loss on the cap. $30 million short of expectation in 2021, and probably around $25 million short of expectation in 2022.

And if I remember right, I believe they slightly lessened the 18% that go to players benefits for the next few years to help cushion the cap fall, although I don’t remember what the exact amount was. But it’s a minimal increase.

3. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Well, at least Mosley is talking a good game. Saying the right things to say that he's in (e.g., referring to the Jets as "we"; saying, "I'm 100% and ready to go"). He also said that the coaching staff has instilled confidence in the players.

PLAJ interview - Jets LB CJ Mosley joins the show! - YouTube

In this interview, he mentions his "leadership aspects" and says "I'm excited to be out there and playing"

1-On-1: C.J. Mosley Is Hungry To Be Back On The Field | New York Jets | NFL - YouTube

Footballgod214 and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Hopefully he plays well enough early in the season for another team to trade for him and his overly generous contract.

5. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

It seems to me that he would have to play incredibly well for another team to agree to take on his bloated contract. So I wouldn't bet the farm on it.:confused:

SOJAZ, Fiftynine and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

To clarify: you want him to play well so we can then trade away one of our best players? Jfc, you people never learn.

BacktoQueens, BamaDoc and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  7. Fiftynine

We have a whole team to develop and fill with players who are better fits for our system and coaching staff. If you think keeping around an overpayed player, now on the wrong side of 30, who hasn't seen the field in two years for more than the few weeks it would take to generate some interest from a team willing to take a risk, do you man, but I'll hope the front office has better sense than that.

SOJAZ likes this.
  8. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

How about accepting the contract as a sunk cost and hoping we still have an all pro level player and leader of our defense?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. KingRoach

Wrong side of 30 & 2 years off are moot if he “plays well”. Btw wrong side of 30 is traditionally used for players over 30.

Maybe you want to take a year off but I’d like to win.

When I spoke with a top NYJ exec last year he was pissed they weren’t winning. I don’t think anyone in the organization is interested in losing; it seems that shitty fans are the ones saying “we won’t win this year”

To recap: you want the Jets to be good enough to trade one of its best players but not good enough to compete. You don’t know how old Mosley is or how to use Google. You seem to think Mosley who was drafted by the Ravens when JD was with the Ravens isn’t a good fit with our system or staff (despite our HC signing praise for him).

P.S. the highest paid LB in the NFL is 2 years older than Mosley.

10. GasedAndConfused

pretty much ideal is if we get 2 good years out of him then cut him when he's 32 and it saves a ton of room. by that time players like Q will be getting new deals. then after that mims and becton, then after that AVT, moore, and wilson. we'll need the money

joelip likes this.
  11. Fiftynine

Look at you, master of research and privy to the minds of top NYJ execs and time to spend on a message board pleading the case for a LB who hasn't played in (I'm not going to Google this) two years and doesn't (still winging it and not Googling) fit the mould of the sort of LBs our coaching staff is looking for.

JD was on the Ravens when old Mosley was drafted. The Ravens. Moses, excuse me, Mosley was a good fit for them. Our coaching staff seems to like plugging safeties into the LB slot. JD, while here on the Jets, seemed to have no problem looking for such talent to suit his current (again, not Googling, perhaps I'm wrong and he's back with the Ravens or something) staff's needs.

I'm glad our HC is singing his praises. Drive that price right on up. Worked for getting some value out of Darnold.

Since people on this board have gone insane over player loyalty (regarding certain rookie QBs) let me say that ultimately I don't care what the Jets do with old man Mosley. If they keep him around and the team is better for it great. Setting ourselves up to be consistent winners in the near future is all that matters.

12. GasedAndConfused

1 thing I will say is I do believe in player loyalty. not to mosley as he hasn't earned it but to guys like maye and when the time comes Q, mims, becton, etc

Fiftynine likes this.
  13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

He’s 28 and a perfect fit for Saleh’s D.
    The whole “wrong side of 30 and bad fit for the coaches” is just an awful take.

REVISion likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Lol to the bold.

On the bottom part - Wagner is a 5 year running All-Pro and a first ballot Hall of Famer. Not sure what he or his contract status has to do with anything but he's very much been worth the price tag.

Fiftynine and K'OB like this.
  15. KingRoach

-If we get 2 good years, he’ll be 31the following season not 32,

-If we get 2 good years from him - the Jests will be a force... and you’d want to trade him away?

That’s the ideal? SOJF

How about he lives up to his contract and is a leader on this super bowl winning defense.

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Really?

It isn't his age that is a worry for me but the fact he has done sweet FA for over two years, you can keep your body fine in the gym but you can not keep it game ready and if he is shot after his 2 years sit down then we are on the hook for a lot of money on a waste of space, this is why those same old Jets fans, the ones that you are quick to disparage, want to get rid of him now, not that they don't think he was a good player, he was, his 2 quarters in a Jets uniform was some of the best ever seen but 2 years dormant is a lot to overcome, as Bell proved.

17. KingRoach

I’m on a ton of drugs rn but I’m trying to make sense of this....

Your wondering what

a 30yo 5x all pro
    has to do with
    a 28yo 3x all pro

“he was worth the price”

Are you on disability? I’d feel bad calling you a retard if you’re actually mentally disabled so please lmk.

18. KingRoach

-Bell’s position takes hits
    -CJ’s gives those hits

The phone lines are always open but you gotta impress me to walk away from an all-pro LB, senior leader on a young defense.

CJ for Julio? Straight up? with the team we have in place I’d take CJ.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

How do you condition your body to give hits while sat at home for two years, being a gym bunny will not do it, you are still delivering an impact to your body.

An all-pro LB that has played two-quarters of football in over two years come September, I mean, it isn't a huge stretch to have doubts that his body will break down, it managed to do it after just two-quarters last time and then again, once or even maybe twice more.

As it stands your all-star pro-bowler is a Jets bust and not that I mentioned Jones but I would snap your trade offer up every single day of the week, Wilson to Jones for two seasons, very nice, thank you very much.

Maybe time to put your drugs down.

20. KingRoach

Stay if football shape. I can’t believe no ones thought of this before us.

I can’t believe no one’s come up a way to train NFL players

You and I should start a company and we’ll tackle players during quarantine to keep them NFL ready.

We can call ourselves sports doctors

Yes, Wilson to Julio would be beautiful.
    But Saleh to CJ could be almost as good.