2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Another lifeless loss tonight...

I was reading comments on https://eyesonisles.com/ the other night and it seemed like quite a few people had lost confidence in Trotz and Lamoriello. I sorta start feeling about Trotz the way I felt about Rex Ryan once his act had worn off. As for Lamoriello, he's brought in a bunch of Devils' castoffs.. anything else?

2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Nothing like heading into the playoffs with momentum. Hoping for the best expect one and done.

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

My relatively low opinion of Lamoriello has been well-documented here, so the awful results of his trades this year aren't a big surprise to me. Trotz certainly deserves plenty of the blame, since he has shown absolutely no ability to improve the offense of the team in any way. I guess the best justification of the bizarre decision of the Rangers to fire Davidson and Gorton is how awful the team looked against the Islanders, considering how the Islanders have looked against the Sabres and Devils. Not only couldn't this team win a playoff series like this, they couldn't take a game in a playoff series like this.

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I’m not down on either, but I’m more disappointed in Trotz simply not figuring out the offense. The worst decision Lou has made is resigning Eberle. But his other moves have all been good — Lee has proven to be invaluable, Varly brought Sorokin, Wahlstrom and Dobson were good picks, Pagaeu was a great trade, and the Palmieri and Zajacs trade looked great on paper.

Trotz has to get the team playing.

5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

New scoreboard photos for UBS arena.
    [​IMG]

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I normally don’t do this but I’m taking a positive spin on this team. They have made the playoffs the past three years albeit under unique circumstances.

We all knew the offensive limitations of this team with Bailey, Eberle, Leo, Clutterbuck, Anders Lee, Beauvillier.

Brock Nelson has been more productive in this system than any of us expected.

The system that Trotz uses has garnered him a Stanley cup with Washington, so we know it works. The St. Louis Blues used it as well a couple of years ago to win the cup.

The problem is pretty simple, Islanders thought the young guys they signed could develop into clutch offensive players and they simply have not.

Changes can’t be made now, and firing Trotz and Lou is not going to happen after three straight playoff appearances.

Let’s see how the playoffs unfold, that will determine what changes this team will make in off-season.

My only gripe with Trotz is his unwillingness to use Walstrohm on top line from day one. Kid makes one mistake and down he goes, it’s like he puts system above productivity.

Team has warts, but they are in playoffs nonetheless. Let’s enjoy it while we can it’s been a while since we had this!

patleahy and JetBlue like this.
  7. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Nice win tonight 5-1 in the last ever regular season game at Nassau. This time it really is the last game at Nassau with UPS arena almost done. Good to get a win and once again we will either face the Pens or Caps in Rd 1. Bring on the playoffs and LGI.

8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

9. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

In other news, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers have been rebranded as the Bridgeport Islanders

10. statjeff22

What the hell was Komarov doing? Does he want to guarantee that the Islanders can't have home ice in the second round? What an idiot.

11. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Lost in OT clinches 4th in the division. Bring on the Pens. We swept them two years ago. Let's hope for a similar result this year.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I’d rather play the Pens than the Caps anyways.

13. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Same here. I would also rather face the Pens. It won't be easy though as they are a good team. Let the B's and Caps beat the shit out of each other. If the Isles offense is respectable ( A BIG IF ) then I am going with Isles in 6.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That's funny, because I would rather play the Bruins than the Isles or Pens too.

I think the Round 1 match-ups turned out nicely. Obviously all 4 teams are good and each series will be tough, but I like how things fell.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Really wish todays game was at 3, not noon but....... LGI!

JetBlue likes this.
  16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Dobson and Mayfield are struggling to win battles in corners. Not sure how long that’s going to last before Pens start taking advantage and scoring.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Hate to be negative in this thread but I bet the Pens. Islanders aren't setting up a cohesive offense when they do gain entry. Running into each other, losing puck battles like you said, and not getting chances in the slot.

Pens look like they're doing whatever they want.

Palmieri looks good when putting the goal aside though.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. statjeff22

If they can't get the offense going, including on the power play, I think they have no shot in this series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.