The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

Ugh, can't get the pic

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sat Offshore.GIF

Looks like I'm good for my blackfish trip on Sat.

3. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Where’s the report?

4. Cman68

Slow day yesterday. Great weather though. Couldn't ask for calmer seas. Blackfish just didn't want to cooperate. Lots of shorts, very few keepers. I was on the Mohawk out of Belmar and I have to give kudos to the Capt. for keeping us out an extra hour because the fishing was slow. Crabs worked early, clams worked late. Few Cod came over the rail along with a lot of really nice SeaBass we had to throw back. As usual, Dogfish were our constant PITA but honestly, fighting the dogfish was really fun. Too bad they're useless so back they went.

Seabass season looks like a good one this year judging how many big fish we threw back. Hopefully the Cod will hang around a bit longer for me to put a few in the box. Bring some lead with you as later in the day, we had the current pick up and light jigs took a ride along with it making it somewhat difficult to hold bottom...

Tight Lines!!

5. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Nice.
    Least you bent a pole.
    Captain Chris will be missed. We sometimes chased him. He could find the fluke.

Cman68 likes this.
  6. Cman68

His twin brother is running the boat now. Had to do a double take! Talk about identical twins... :)

#1506 Cman68, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  7. Cman68

8. Cman68

Headed out tonight for a marathon Cod trip tomorrow. I'll be sailing on the Voyager out of Pt. Pleasant Beach and we'll be between 40-80mi off the beach on some of the offshore wrecks. Leaving tonite as the boat has a hot galley and bunks. 100-300 foot depths so I'll be bringing my power assist reel along with my 2-speed conventional AVET JX Raptor. 1 -2lb lead depending on the current. Should be fun!

Tight Lines Everybody!!

#1508 Cman68, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 12, 2021
    stinkyB likes this.
  9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

No electrics under 500'. ;) That Avet is a nice reel. My buddy has one. It's his go-to big snapper reel.

catchem up...... hopefully trolling offshore on saturday (but weather forecasts change on me all the time). got some new lures in the mail from TD yesterday

Cman68 likes this.
  10. stinkyB

Ehhh..... HARD winds friday-fri eve meant late start saturday to let things settle down, so we didnt troll, just bottom fished... and didnt run as far as intended.
    Got to play with my new "slow-pitch" jigging rig. prob caught over a dozen "endangered" red snappers on it.... then switched to bait and caught more. :confused:

Fishing that little rod is a trip though

Some of the other guys got some vermillions and triggers so at least we brought some dinner home

Cman68 likes this.
  11. Cman68

Its SeaBass time again in the NE. Time to load up on the tasty critters early in the season to get in front of the cull. I'll be on the Voyager again on Sunday as opening season is Saturday and every idiot that owns a rod will be on that boat. Thanks to Covid, the passenger limit remains 30 out of a possible 44 so that does create a good amount of space to fish in.

12. Cman68

Wifey decided she wanted in on the action too sooo, happy wife? happy life. Confirmed with the boat they're not going to pack the full 44 person compliment. Winds out of the west so we'll set up on the port side amidships. Trying to stay in the sunshine all day if possible. May try some slow pitch jigging depending on the depth and how much sticky we're in.

stinkyB likes this.
  13. stinkyB

Well..... the guys I went fishing with this weekend went yesterday and I couldnt go due to work load....... A sail, 2 wahoo, 6 tuna, a mahi, then a limit of pink porgies, limit of speckled hind (grouper in 250') and a fat tile fish..... fuuuuk me :(

slow-pitch? what setup did you get? I prob put together one of the most economical rigs (without buying junk) I could get (got a fin-nor Primal on sale at TackleDirect, then a Centaur "constellation" rods from Whitewater outfitters. About $300 for the rig (plus some 40# Daiwa J-braid I got off ebay).... losing jigs to fish with teeth sucks though :mad:

Cman68 likes this.
  14. Cman68

I have the Shimano Teramar NE conventional HF paired with a Daiwa Lexa 400HD. Not sure if this is the proper rig but I'm going to try to get the technique downpat before investing in a dedicated SP rig.

15. stinkyB

The reel is fine for it.... the rod (while very nice), probably not for this application.... need a rod with more bend / snap, so it does the work. Would probably be fine for speed jigging though... but this is new territory for me as well.

I didnt want to commit the $ to something I've never done as well (been using a spinning jig set-up) so this is what I got (The "L" model... 100-200G jigs)
    https://whitewateroutfitters.com/co...ging-conventional-rods?variant=13565692182590

its a trip catching offshore fish on a rod that feels like I'm going bass fishing ;) whole rig (with reel) may be 20oz max..... in retrospect I probably shouldve ponied up the extra $90 for the "combat arm" model with nicer guides (the ones on mine are where they cut cost).... but I'Ve been bleeding cash lately B.O.A.T. (BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND)

#1515 stinkyB, May 12, 2021
    Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Cman68 likes this.
  16. Cman68

Hey, it's pretty bad when you really don't know what you already have in the arsenal. I already had a slow pitch rod I purchased several years ago. I didn't know at the time (and probably neither did the Tsunami Rep) what slow pitch jigging was about (2017) but when he put an 8oz sinker on the end of it and the rod barely arc'd, I got it. Paired it with my Lexa 400HS-P (30lb braid), flutter jigs (8oz/200g) and bingo, I'm in the game.

Tomorrow for the first part of the trip, I'll be going conventional with a hi/lo and clams for what should be an easy limit of SeaBass. Later in the day, I'll be dialing in my slow pitch technique. Rod is the Tsunami TSSPJC-761XH. I'm using a 15ft fluorocarbon leader (pink) tied on with a FG knot. Crowded boat so I'm hoping for a big pool... ;)

17. stinkyB

Ha..... me too. Got some reels (some new and some barely used) in boxes in the cabinet

I saw that rod, was interested in the price point for sure. Looked solid, has good reviews It felt too stiff to me think it's needs MORE bend, to get that jig to "pop".... I think XH is a bit much unless you're using some HEAVY jigs (that shits work, but then again on a head boat, that's prob what you need to avoid tangles with knuckleheads). Hope you get on em today..... was blowing 25kts here yesterday.

18. Cman68

Tough day but managed to put a few in the box. That rod has a surprising amount of bounce to it. Used it with a A67 DJ and although I couldn't get a bite, I did learn the absolute basics of slow pitching. Head boat was packed bow to stern. Not a good situation as all of these folks were putting globs of clams on the hooks so thick that the fish really had too many choices because there were too many lines in the water. A monkfish won the $450 pool. Ugly SOB but it was the moneyfish. Not headed out again until after the summer holidays. No more Uber crowded headboats for me. I'll pass on Memorial, Father's Day and July 4th. Will resume after all the newness of the covid limits reduced is over. Actually headed to Mo. next week to do some sweetwater fishing in Truman Res.

19. stinkyB

Yeah, I wont even fish those days in a private boat ;)
    how deep were you fishing?

20. Cman68

Really not that deep either. We were MAYBE in 150' to start. 100' most of the day and finished maybe in 50' as the Capt worked us slowly back towards port so we got more fishing time in. Still looking at a lighter slow pitch rod as I think I'm gonna go all in. Finding the right rod at a good price seems to be the trick. Oh yeah, just purchased a Daiwa Saltiga 2 speed conventional reel. Gonna only put 30# test braid on it to keep the scope down in deeper water and higher currents.

stinkyB likes this.