With things looking up and everyone excited about the Jets again

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by patleahy, May 3, 2021.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Do I want a former Dolphin fan leading chants at Jets games?
    I'll go with, No.

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You know, I used to want him back. Thought he was good for this fan base and for the morale, but now I think otherwise.

Fuck him.

We have all been through shit with this franchise. We have all had interactions with bad fans at games or disliked things others have done, but my passion and love for this franchise never changes. Through the good and the bad.

patleahy likes this.
  3. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I can understand that sentiment, Falco21. Definitely.

4. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

that's a home run

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Forgot he existed.

6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He had his 15 minutes and most of us have moved on.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I never liked him, and don't want him back.

8. patleahy

NC, just out of curiosity, why do you say that you NEVER liked him? not even back in his heyday when he was rallying all of the Jets fans? What was your beef with Fireman Ed even back then, before he quit the team?

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Don't really have a concrete reason. I just didn't think we needed one person to stand up and lead the chant. That's why we have cheerleaders. Who was he? Why should we do the chant because some knucklehead in a fireman's hat stood up and started trying to lead it? I just always thought that he was very presumptuous and thought he looked dumb leading the chant.

10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

There was no Firemam Ed when I first starting going to games in 1986. It was just an end zone vs end zone thing. One end would go and the other side would try to be louder. It was fun since I had tickets in one if the end zones.

I don't really remember when Ed became a thing. It was like one day my buddy said, "Hey look! There's a guy with a fireman hat on leading the chant. Then I found out he was a former Dolphins fan. And then opposing fans started using him as a way to troll us.

So honestly I hope he stays away. Same for that fucking imbecile "Mr. Jet." What an embarrassment that asshole is.

11. patleahy

[​IMG]

anyone remember this guy?

Red Menace and Jets69 like this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I saw him at Hofstra in '08 shortly after the Favre trade, not sure if it was right after he started doing that but I had never seen him before. He was in the shaded area under the trees hamming it up for photos. Seemed like a toolbag.

jonnyd likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I've always thought all those guys that dress up in excessive amounts of apparel are gigantic toolbags except the Black Hole Raiders idiots. They embraced the whole thing being a giant moshpit of dickheads appropriately.

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/jetbo.60242/

The only cool strange game time apparel I used to approve of is the construction hard hat.

major33 and jonnyd like this.
  14. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Back in 2015, my colleague and I saw Fireman Ed outside of our office building in midtown by Madison Square park- he was working construction with a Jets bandana. I always found this strange since I thought he was injured on disability.

He said he would never return to the spotlight because of how he was treated after the fiasco Thanksgiving Night by Jets fans. He seemed pretty genuine, but then 2-3 years later(Not sure the exact game) he was doing "guest appearances" at games probably paid for by the Johnsons. Then you started seeing him more and more at games leading the intro Jets chant before the game started and then some Jets chants after scores, and then some defense chants throughout the game.

Like it or not, he was easing back into it, and I think he will be back.

15. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

They don't need anyone leading the chant. If it's not going to be a thing during the bad times, then once parts of the fanbase believe that things are beginning to turn around, it shouldn't just become a thing again.

16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The homophobia is strong with this one.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You were funny a decade ago. You material is stale. Does it sting that no one's laughs anymore?

major33 likes this.
  18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Look at all the likes, bro.

stinkyB and abyzmul like this.
  19. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

This topic always fascinates me.
    • Only NY Jets fans would turn on a guy who becomes synonymous with "us" - nationally. He brought attention to US.
    • In '99 I knew a fellow fan who disliked him during Ed's heyday, and that guy was a total narcissist so I think some fans were jealous that Ed was known to be a "better fan" than the rest of us. "what about ME!"
    • If you were in the crowd at some of those games back when he became "a thing" you know it was absolutely awesome. Probably the best "crowd-thing" ever experienced at a game, any sport, and (aside from reward points) a prime reason to attend a game in person. The silence prior to chant was incredible. 70,000 quiet people. Then the roar. We were young. We were happy. We PAID far less to be there...
    • I met citizen Ed in person once and was not impressed, he was wild-eyed, distracted... but I still liked Fireman Ed.
    • Who cares that he might have once rooted for the Dolphins? Personally I love the converts more. Need more!
    • Winning football solves a lot of problems so the "Ed situation" will work itself out.
    • There's so much annoying crap at MetLife that I'm dying for more Fireman Ed moments and the play on the field that encourages him.
    Those are my thoughts.

20. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Dierking is hilarious.

stinkyB and abyzmul like this.