What to do with CJ Mosley

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, May 5, 2021.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I dunno guys. It seems like the SOJ to find reasons to jettison our best players. CJ could easily be the best player on the field for us in 21 AND 22 (the bar ain't that high!).

I get the cap issues. Ya, he got an insane deal, which was the only way he'd even consider joining our squad. But he's ours now, for better or worse. I also get that if some other team pulls a Jets and offers to take him, we gotta do it, but part of me really wants him to be his old outstanding self and stay a Jet, especially for the 22 season when it should all come together.

I hope we have moments where we all go "Damn! And to think we almost traded him away!!! JD's a genius!"

#61 Footballgod214, May 5, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
    themorey, PJ4Ever, KingRoach and 2 others like this.
  2. Footballgod214

This. I heard the same thing a few times. The 'true' number due to covid last season would have been closer to 160. Over 22 was barrowed from future cap. The Jets alone probably lost over $60-$80M just in empty stadium syndrome.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i forgot where you read it but where did you see 160? that's way too low. it was already agreed upon it would go no lower then 175
    I found this

"A person familiar with the league’s finances said the salary cap could have fallen to about $160 million if the labor agreement had not been signed last March and had negotiations spilled into what was already a chaotic 2020 season. The new labor deal gave the owners the right to add a 17th regular-season game, which they are likely to do in 2021, adding another source of revenue to offset the impact of the pandemic."

it looks like 160 was a very early estimate. They wound up making more then expected originally but IDK if we'll see the real numbers. plus any loss borrowed can be spread across 5 years so even if it's 20 million borrowed now, that's only 4 million lower per year over the next 5 years which is very small

4. Footballgod214

NFL gave concessions to the players to post a cap per team of 182. Without concessions, if they went strictly by $'s generated, it would have been closer to 160. Every sport from BB to Base Ball to Football were all struggling with this. Players were hoping to get paid 100% even though revenue fell by a ton. So they split the difference...

5. GasedAndConfused

the cap is purely revenue based. concessions wouldn't make a difference. they gave concessions for like weed and such but got an extra game plus 2 extra playoff games last year so they added in more games which means more renevue which helped make up for it.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  6. Footballgod214

How'd the Jets make up for losing $60-80 million on gate/parking/beer revenue? Especially when the Jets weren't in the POs!

7. GasedAndConfused

They didn't, that's why the cap went down from 198 million. stadium revenue is roughly 38% of NFL revenue. the other 62% is broadcast rights and apparel. which goes up every year. obviously a 38% hit is huge but had the loss been that whole 38% the cap would be 124 million this year. so where did the rest come from?

The NFL added revenue with the extra playoff games, they also just signed new TV deals which are starting to kick in as early now but the bulk will kick in 2022 and 2023. They added an extra game as well.

8. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

$160 was a real estimate of what it would be if they didn’t substitute an artificial cap floor. So the floor they decided on ultimately was about $22 million (per team) over the natural salary cap, which is calculated based on the NFL earnings, per the CBA.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah it doesn't work that way. They didn't adopt a baby from Nicaragua, they signed a professional athlete to a huge incremental deal and have to keep their options open for the future. He has collected 29 million dollars to the tune of 9 tackles and an interception and he's been off the football field for 1000+ days, and to be brutally honest his success with the Ravens was not as some elite game changer but as a very good run defender with average coverage skills.

That's not irreplaceable, especially since he's not at home in the defense being installed.

10. GasedAndConfused

have any source for this? because I don't see it anywhere and from th looks of it it seems they don't want the information known. were really just guessing here

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah and the Pro Bowls he's made have been flaunted here as more of an accomplishment than they really are. Evan Engram was a Pro Bowler last year.

He still has two years before he's given the title and even minimal production could elevate him over the legendary Trumaine Johnson. But he could end up being our worst free agency signings of all time especially considering the position he plays.

TwoHeadedMonster and abyzmul like this.
  12. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I'd really like him to stay but I can't deny the smart move is to move on.

13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

NFL profits dropped to $12 Billion in 2020

48.5% to players Equals: $5,820,000,000

18% of that to Player Benefits: $1,047,600,000

Remaining 82% Is Total Cap: $4,772,400,000

Split 32 Ways: $149,137,500 per Team

I would imagine with the exact number of NFL profits used it comes out somewhere between $155-$160 Million per team.

NCJetsfan and GasedAndConfused like this.
  14. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I know it's possible to read almost anything into an isolated quote, but this felt like it had a hint of sarcasm to it. I mean, this is the head coach, and he's saying that he's thrilled to have 'gotten a chance to meet' one of his players. This isn't a fan in the bleachers at training camp. This is the head coach.

I'm probably reading too much into it, but...

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't think it was intended to sound that way, but it definitely sounds like he's talking about a guy who fancies himself on a pedestal.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  16. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree, I just couldn't help how it sounded in my head when I read it!

17. Gotham Green

Gotham Green Active Member

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I wanna see this guy play, wtf another dud of a signing if we don't even see how does for us

AJW likes this.
  19. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Play him!!! Let's try to get our moneys worth. Everyone is so quick to trade him. At least give him this year.

Footballgod214 and cval like this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

well that's just good math. thanks for posting that

NCJetsfan and MaximusD163 like this.