What to do with CJ Mosley

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, May 5, 2021.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I said this early in the off season - I believe it was Salehs introductory presser. Seems like they want out from Mosley.

ConcordeChops and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Bingo. Which is why I'd think they would've signed another linebacker with the assumption that he will not make it through a full season even if he only misses a couple of games.

Assuming he goes down at some point, that leaves us with two NFL linebackers (Cashman with his own injury history/being unproven) and two rookies who have never played the position.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  3. toddhershkowitz

toddhershkowitz Active Member

I hope the guys stays.
    We need him.

westiedog1 likes this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I'll go on record and say we should keep him. I still remember that first game he played as a Jet. He was a monster in the middle shutting down Buffalo's inside game completely. After he went down is when the Bills started to move the ball on offense and eventually beat us. We don't have anyone even close to that at MLB right now.

5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I think they signed Davis with the knowledge that they will move Mosley if they can. Davis would be Mike.

I’m not surprised they waited on other LB’s, not knowing how the draft would go. You can find some LB’s on cheap vet contracts if necessary.

6. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I think people forget how good he really is. Sure the layoff makes things a little murky, but if he’s any kind of Pro he will be in good shape and should be back to full speed early on in the season.

I think it’s one of those situations where we just have to bite the bullet and hope for the best. I’m sure the front office and coaches will be able to tell right away how close Mosely is to being himself once they start practicing.

7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Mosley is most likely going to get cut next offseason, but if the Jets could trade him for a bag of a peanuts and a 6th round pick I'd do it in a heart beat.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  8. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

trading Mosley would cost us a minimum of a 2nd rd draft choice right now. we have the space, might as welll hope he returns to the player he was before, which is very good.

King Koopa likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we can't cut him next offseason. cost too much. it would be cheaper to keep him. we can cut him in 2023 and save a ton fo cap. most likely CJ is a jet for the next 2 seasons unless we get a trade offer

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

To me it boils down to this " How will two full years of inactivity impact his ability to return to the playing level we paid dearly for, and what's the likelihood he can stay on the field" If we get back the CJ we wrote the contract around then I'm all in. If he is a serviceable shadow of the CJ we want we need to pick a point in time to mo9ve him and mitigate our financial losses.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can't argue with you reasoning above, but if you are able to trade him, the problem is who will replace him. Do the Jets have the cap space to sign KG Wright or K Alexander, or would Mosely's dead money cap hit preclude that? Our LB corps is very thin and tenuous as it is.

13. NCJetsfan

Worse yet, what if we get another great quarter or two from him then he goes down with another season-ending injury?

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

My guess is Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh have already counted their losses on Mosley. He was a huge Mac flop, and that is life. Douglas is connected to him in 2021 and 2022, so my belief is Saleh will give him a chance to play in his defense. If it works out, that is a great bonus, if not, he can be cut or traded if a team calls. I think that is how they are handling the situation and I am good with it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

https://www.nj.com/jets/2021/05/why...hs-defense-that-hes-not-a-big-money-bust.html

Why ex-Jets star David Harris thinks C.J. Mosley will show — in Robert Saleh’s defense — that he’s not a big-money bust
    Today 6:45 AM

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    The Jets signed C.J. Mosley in 2019 thinking he could be their next David Harris, but even better — a long-term solution at middle linebacker who would make the Pro Bowl every year.

Well, things haven’t turned out as planned.

A groin injury limited Mosley to two games in 2019, and then he opted out of last season, due to coronavirus concerns.

Now, Mosley is back. And the Jets are transitioning from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3 scheme, under new head coach Robert Saleh, the 49ers’ former defensive coordinator.

Harris, for one, is plenty confident that Mosley will return to form in 2021. Mosley, with Baltimore, made the Pro Bowl in four of his first five seasons, before signing a lucrative contract with the Jets.

“He should thrive in that [4-3] system,” Harris said Monday at former Jets offensive guard Willie Colon’s charity golf event. “He’s a guy who flies around. He’s always in the right spot. I loved the way he played when he was in Baltimore.

“I have a lot of respect for the guy. I think he’s going to be a huge addition now that he’s back. He’s healthy. He’s still a young guy [who turns 29 in June]. He’s a good centerpiece for their defense. Hopefully, C.J. finishes his career outstanding with the Jets and has more Pro Bowl years.”

Harris was a defensive centerpiece for the Jets from 2007-16, when he started 147 games. Though he never made the Pro Bowl, he had 35 sacks and 1,088 tackles with the Jets. From 2009-15, he started every game, every season.

Harris more than earned the $54.8 million he made from the Jets. So far, Mosley hasn’t lived up to his contract, which will pay him $51 million over three seasons (at least). And he has played just one of those seasons, so the Jets can’t get rid of him yet.

But Harris believes the Jets will like what they see from Mosley in 2021. He said Mosley will have more freedom in the 4-3 defense, as opposed to the 3-4, since he won’t have to take on offensive linemen as often, now that he’s playing behind a four-man front.

“He’ll be more free to make more plays,” Harris said. “He won’t have a problem adjusting. He’s a smart guy. If you can play in the 3-4, you can play anything.”

Harris, who did thrive in the 3-4 under coach Rex Ryan, retired after spending his final season with the Patriots in 2017. Harris now lives in Michigan, his home state, with his wife and three kids, ages 2, 6, and 9.

Colon’s golf event Monday at Canoe Brook Country Club in Summit benefited the Lupus Research Alliance — and specifically, a research grant honoring Colon’s mother, Jean Davis, who had lupus and died last year. Colon’s golf outing began in 2014 and has raised $1.5 million for the Lupus Research Alliance, which is pursuing a cure for the autoimmune disease.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

A comprehensive collection of CJ Mosley Jets highlights:

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  17. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Mosley has a cap hit of $7.5 million, but if he is traded in camp he would only have a dead cap hit of $1.5 million. So the Jets would get back $6 million this year

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well, let's be honest that is all he has to do to get even richer for minimal effort.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think the Jets have to hold onto him for at least T.C. and P.S. to prove to other teams he can still play if they want to get anything at all for him. Of course if a team offered us anything now, I'd take it.

If no one offers anything, regardless of hi=ow well he looks, then I guess we keep him and hope for the best.

I guess re-structuring his contract is out of the question? If he were honest and principled, he'd be open to that.

Jonathan_Vilma and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Thanks, Max!

MaximusD163 likes this.