Possible 53-Man Roster for 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by joelip, May 4, 2021.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Could we trade for Andy Dalton instead?

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

*cough* Steven Nelson *cough*

Lon Chaney and joelip like this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Very early agreed, but I do think they go with 3 QBs, Wilson, Morgan and a vet. I agree on 6 WR the five listed plus one of Jeff or Vincent Smith. Hard to imagine 4 RBs but possible. Agree on DL comments...

fun stuff

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we signed K Chris Naggar as an UDFA

5. GasedAndConfused

I don't see us trading for foles. doesn't make sense. probably more like

QB Wilson, Morgan (2)
    WR Davis, Mims, Crowder, Moore, Cole, Berrios, and 1 more maybe vyncent smith (7)
    TE Herndon, Kroft, griffin (3) (yeboah will be PS player at best)
    RB Carter, Coleman, Johnson, Adams (4)
    FB Wesco (1)
    OT Becton, Fant, Edoga, Mcdermott (4)
    OG AVT, Lewis, Feeny, Clark (4) I think we cut GVR
    C Mcgovern, Hennesey (LS) (2)

thats 27 on offense

DE Lawson, JFM, Curry, Phillips, Zuniga or huff (one gets PS) (5)
    DT Q, Rankins, Foley, Shepard (4)
    LB Mosley, Dais, Cashman, Sherwood, Nas (5)
    CB Hall, Austin, Guidry, Pinnock, Carter, Echols, Hardee (7)
    S Maye, Joyner, Davis (3)

Thats 24 on Defense

K Naggar
    P Mann

That's 53 we could go with 6 WR to add a safety. we will see some people released during camp for sure.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's hard to know how far along Morgan has come since he had no real exposure last year due to covid, no PS games, QB3, etc. All that being said, with a new HC, OC, Offense, coming in, this may be the yr to promote Morgan to QB2, let him learn all the new shit same as a vet would have to do.

7. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

8. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I think you make excellent points, and since we're not going to the Super Bowl this year, I would be more than happy to take a chance that we can groom Morgan to be a decent backup quarterback.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  9. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I'm coming around to the idea of taking a chance on Morgan as a developmental backup QB. I just wonder how much mentoring Wilson is going to get.

Actually, I like Berrios and V. Smith quite a bit, for their speed and special team contributions. I would not be disappointed at all to see one or both make the team.

I like Griffin, too, but I have a hard time seeing him fitting into our youth movement, and I like Yeboah as a developmental move TE 3. Herndon and Kroft are both competent blockers.

I'll be surprised if the Jets keep Lewis over GVR. They had similar PFF grades, but GVR was an excellent pass blocker in the second half of 2020 (i.e., after he adjusted to RG). Lewis has never in his whole career matched GVR's overall 2020 PFF pass blocking grade of 71.5, and he costs 3.2 M more against the cap. Still, I would keep both Lewis and GVR if Clark proves to be a poor fit in the new zone scheme.

ADDITION: It's also interesting that Feeney played RG exclusively in a zone scheme at Indiana, and he was highly rated coming out of college. With the Chargers, he was never played at RG but only at LG and C. Could it be that the Chargers were playing him out of position, and that he needs to play RG in a zone scheme to reach the potential for which he was drafted highly (3rd round)?

#29 joelip, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
  10. GasedAndConfused

i mean i'm not a fan of berrios and smith personally but they are low level depth players. berrios gives us a back up PR and WR and more importantly he never gets hurt. if it came down to it, i'd keep berrios over smith personally for his special teams and durability.

I don't like griffen but we don't have a replacement. he looked slow and broken last season. never bounced back from his injury. but for 1 more year he will do as a backup TE

for RG it'll be interesting. i think it's truly a real camp battle for jobs there. Lewis didn't allow a sack last year, GVR allowed 3. overall lewis graded higher as well. plus JD kept him when he left the team for "personal reasons" so makes me think JD really likes him. supposedly according to rumor it was an alcohol issue. if lewis can get his head on straight he's pretty solid. Whoever loses the starting job should be cut though. clark and feeny will be the backup OGs

Footballgod214 and joelip like this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I heard on a podcast, can't remember which one because I've listened to so many lately, that the CS/FO loves Morgan and one of the main reasons they drafted him was because he's a film junkie and they had hoped he would help Sam's progression.

Wouldn't surprise me if they roll with Morgan as QB2 this season to see if he can be a viable back-up.

Footballgod214, NCJetsfan and joelip like this.
  12. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

You make good points and I couldn't really argue with any of your comments. It is interesting that although Lewis gave up no sacks in 544 snaps and GVR gave up 3 sacks in 752 snaps, according to PFF, they graded GVR higher in pass protection than Lewis (71.5 to 55.6). In any case, the ratings make clear that Lewis is superior as a run blocker to GVR, and you can't really argue with 0 2020 sacks in the context of adequate pass blocking over his career.

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Ficken needs competition. Maybe the kicker we signed can push him.

14. GasedAndConfused

yeha lewis is more of a run blocker then a pass blocker. he also had holding penalties which stopped sacks from happening while GVR didn't have any penalties. both are meh so let them battle for the job IMO and cut the loser

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I also think Coleman will get cut.. he’ll be there for TC to help the kids adapt to the system and then bye bye

Mogriffjr likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Berrios offers next to nothing as a returner. He fair catches every punt, but at least he catches and doesn't muff the punts. He's a decent receiver, but I'd give V. Smith and J. Smith every opportunity to unseat him. He might get signed off the PS quicker than either of the Smith's would and may be more reliable, but I'd still give them every chance to beat him out.

Griffin needs to go. He's toast and offers little or nothing imo. Yeboah should make the team in his place. Brown may make it due to STs, so I think we will keep 4 TEs regardless.

7 CBs is way too many imo. 6 is an absolute max, and 5 would be better.

At OG, I disagree. GVR is better than Lewis. If they need cap space, cutting Lewis is the way to go, but if they don't need the cap space, there's no real reason to cut either unless they need the roster spot. Injuries happen, and it would better to have solid depth, and not be scrambling.

17. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

We brought in a SMU K Naggar.

18. GasedAndConfused

Jeff smith was awful, i like V smith but he's always hurt. I'd rather have someone reliable for depth. berrios has shown some good plays here and there in the slot, he's reliable, durable, and at least won't muff a punt.

I agree on griffin. but brown is worse. i'd rather have kroft and giffin and wesco back up herndon. we do need a TE though. Next year there should be a good amount of TEs in the 2nd round for us. we could grab one with one of our 2 2nd round picks. guys like cade otten, jake ferguson, isiah likely, charlie kolar, or jeremy Ruckert. there are 5 with 2nd round grades as of now. i'll have to wait on the season and do some more film watch but at least as of now it seems we can address TE in the 2nd round next year. if herndon returns to rookie herndon we can resign him and have herndon, a rookie, and maybe wesco still. TE will have to wait a year though

for CBs i kept 7 because I only kept 3 safeties so 10 DBs total.I think some CBs will sub in at safety as well. saleh will use the DBs for their versatility. 10 Dbs is pretty standard. 5 CBs is too low especially when a lot of teams run 3-4 WR sets often now. you expect your top 4 to play a lot. 1 injury and you are out of backups for a game. we will carry at least 6 of them

for OG i know you like GVR better. both aren't anything special. I say let them battle in camp for the RG spot and winner gets the job and loser gets cut. the 4 mil difference between cutting GVR or lewis isn't anything big or worth considering when making the choice. cap isn't an issue for us at all. we will need to cut an OG though. right now we have GVR, lewis, clark, AVT, feeny. 5 is too many OGs to carry. 4 max and 3 active on game day is most likely. really you only carry 9 lineman max and have your backups be swing players. I think we may carry 10 because of the young guys and having a long snapper. 4 OTs, 4 OGs, 1 C, 1 LS.

#38 GasedAndConfused, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Man, what a Nagger (nuhgar) you are :rolleyes:

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  20. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Good discussion, everyone. The thing that jumps out at me, but nobody has mentioned:

I simply cannot imagine C.J. Mosley actually lining up at LB for the Jets this season. I think one way or another, he finds another home.