How do you like our Center, RG & RT

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, May 3, 2021.

1. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

this is close to where I am on this topic...

did we pick up some UDFA... we'll also be scouting other teams bubble players, i'd imagine...

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Seems like the CS agrees with you! I do think McGovern and Fant are better suited to the current scheme than they were to Gase's which is why I'm optimistic on both of them this year.

The big question going into TC will be the RG position. I'm with you in that I hope Clark emerges from this group for multiple reasons, A) he's younger and B) he's cheaper. We could look to move on from both Lewis and/or GVR if Clark looks like he's the real deal. I'd probably like to keep one (GVR preferably) for depth though.

K'OB likes this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

We signed one of Wilson's OL from BYU this season, Tristen Hoge. Played RG for BYU this year but was the No 1 C coming out of HS, signed with ND, and then transferred to BYU. He's missed a bunch of time over the last 2 seasons due to a leg injury and then testing positive for COVID in 2020 but I think he's got potential. Seems like more of a PS stash candidate to me though.

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

mcgovern is a top 10 center and started to play that way late in the season
    fant is a solid starter but does need to be upgraded at some point. probably 2022. he's a team captain though and a favorite in the locker room. we can draft his replacement in 2022
    RG needs to be replaced but for 2021 it should be an open competition between leiws, GVR, clark, and feeny.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Gase was trying to save his job for one thing. Second, Clark got injured early and then got behind. By the end of the season he was taking reps with the 1st team. He should be ready to go in the competition.

Kevin Randall and K'OB like this.
  6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I heard JD may step in and play a few games on the o-line.

AJW and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm OK with Center and RT in 2021. I dont think either are bad players, but I also wouldnt be shocked if either were replaced in next years draft.

RG is a bit different. I dont even know who is going to play there. I'm not comfortable with GVR or Lewis. I'm willing to give Clark a shot, I'm sure JD saw something in him to draft him. But I wouldnt say I'm confident in him.

8. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t even mind making a trade for a veteran this summer with Sam’s pick. Could really solidify this line.

9. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I would rather make a play on someone like Mitchell Schartz, Rick Wagner, or Russel Okung and make them move to guard. Let them teach the kids. Spending a pick on a lineman that another team is willing to part with now isn't a great move. We got the best IOL in the draft and it wasn't close. The other good ones went to team who needed them.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

That’s what I’m trying to say ..... sure the contracts are great right now - cheap enough and playing OK. Once the Jets are ready to go deep into the playoffs hopefully in 2 years the Fant and McGovern contracts will be up - JD has to either resign them or cut bait ( they’ll want more money if their play is considered good and JD seems hesitant to throw expensive money at FAs ). Which is why they should be continuing to draft at least one more OL a season relatively high until they catch up on positions so to say. Remember those guys - Fant especially - was really a band-aid until a replacement could be molded.

11. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

There’s still some quality free agents that could help the jets if JD decides he wants to improve the roster. Ive been critical of him for largely sitting on his hands the last 2 years (although this years FA period was much better than last), but there’s some guys out there that would be a big improvement if he wants them.

The right side of the line is obviously not what you want, but I don’t think it’ll kill you either. It can pass for now. The real problem is if/when injuries occur and depth becomes an issue.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't expect the Jets to be very competitive this year due to the simple fact that they are installing new systems on both offense and defense during a rebuild, even if you have quality depth players in place there's no way they all play together as a unit with the diminished prep time with no contact practices and pandemic limitations.

And the odds of finding the right balance of players this year all at once are less favorable than Zach Wilson actually being anything close to Pat Mahomes.

KingRoach likes this.
  13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Dude. You are a great poster but why do I get the sense that Jets are like your second favorite team?

14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

If your hope is they aren’t ready for a deep run until the 2023 season, I suggest you hope better.

If you mean Fant and McGovern would want more money as opposed to playing for free, I agree.

If you mean they’d want more money per year than they’re currently making, I’d humbly point out they’d be 31 in the 2023 season and traditionally 31 yo players are not paid better than their younger counter parts.

If we get good OL play this year I don’t see us spending a 1st or 2nd anytime soon but I do think it’s a good idea to keep that pipeline flowing. Seeing how Clark performs this year, IMO, will be a good barometer of if JD can spot developmental OL talent. Since he’s a former OL I assume he can but we’ll have more to go off of this season.

P.S. Fant is paid way better than a band aid

15. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I can get behind that train of thought. We have the talent but there are a lot of unknowns heading into the season.

But if we can find our groove by game 8 I think we have a chance to make the playoffs. If we can get into the playoffs on a hot streak, I wouldn’t bet against us.

16. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Fant is a pretty good band aid being our wound was Brandon Shell!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'd take a decent bills fan over some of the "jets fans" we have here

NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.