Round 6 Pick 200OA Welcome to the Jets CB Brandon Echols

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, May 1, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

https://mvpsportstalk.com/2021/04/04/the-hidden-gems-of-the-2021-nfl-draft/

Height: 5’11”

Weight: 178 lbs

Model Projected Value: $9.5M, 44th

Expected Draft Position: N/A

Prospect Value Comp: Jonathan Jones

As I alluded to earlier, the amount of value that can be found with this cornerback is incredible, and Kentucky’s Brandin Echols stands out as a potential gem. The senior doesn’t have a listed expected draft position and is a no show on most draft boards, which is absurd for a prospect with a starting cornerback projection from the model.

Although his numbers regressed this season, in his two years as a starter, Echols earned a 73 PFF grade and allowed 0.91 yards/coverage snap, which are quality numbers in the SEC. However, where he really stands out is with his athletic ability. He ran a 4.3 40-yard dash at his pro day and posted a 43-inch vertical jump, which, to be frank, are downright scary numbers, even after adjustment.

With standard production but excellent athleticism, Echols compares very similar to my model’s projection of Jonathan Jones of the Patriots. Jones went undrafted in 2016 out of Auburn despite running a 4.33 40-yard dash, and has very similar size to Echols- 5’10”, 190 pounds. Yet, he’s established himself as a productive cornerback for New England, even earning an 80.8 coverage grade this past season. Size tends to be overvalued at the cornerback position, and with his change of direction skills and quality-enough production, Echols should be able to make an impact in a versatile secondary role defending the slot or even the outside. If he, like Jones, also goes un-drafted, do not be surprised if he follows a similar trajectory.

joelip, NCJetsfan, FlaJet and 3 others like this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

At this point it is about picking number of multiple athletic guys with some upside, and hoping one or a few of them stick.

FlaJet, REVISion and apjbfc like this.
  3. Jason MacIsaac

So he apparently had a really good 19 season production wise. He has a 99 athletic grade.

joelip, NCJetsfan and FlaJet like this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Another intriguing guy

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

Keep drafting CBs till one sticks

Jason MacIsaac likes this.
  6. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I actually think Echols has some upside....project? sure but with undeniable upside!

joelip and KY Jets Fan like this.
  7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Echols got out-shined by Kelvin Joseph this season but IMO he looked like the better corner for the vast majority of the season.

I was never on board with us drafting Kelvin Joseph, I think he'll be an ok CB in the league but I think he got hyped up in the pre-draft process and as a result got over-drafted.

Echols doesn't have great size, he's still respectable at 5'10" 175lbs, but he's an athletic freak that could shine in the slot to start out his career. Echols led Kentucky in passes defended in 2019 and had 50+ tackles in both seasons as a full-time starter. I think the reason for his "decline" in production in 2020 was teams seemed to target Joseph. Joseph was a very hit or miss guy during the season, it seemed like he either got a pick or was getting beat deep for a TD.

I know the CS seems high on Michael Carter II but it would not shock me at all if Echols changes that narrative in his favor once everyone gets in the building. With the current state of our CB group, it would not surprise me at all to see him as our CB4-5 this year as he adjusts to the speed of the NFL and improves from there.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Kentucky's defense was also off the charts this year. Intercepting machines. Glad to have anyone from that defense to be honest even if I didn't really watch anyone on particular when they played. You a fan?

abyzmul and KY Jets Fan like this.
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Huge fan, I've lived in KY my whole life and seeing what Stoops has done for KY football is unbelievable. We've finished in the top 30-35 in recruiting rankings since he took over and I'm pretty sure we're 12th on Rivals and 247 Sports for 2022 at the moment.

My teams list goes UK BB, Jets, UK FB so I always love it when the Jets draft a guy from UK. There will be some guys next year too that will get drafted. Darian Kinnard (RT), DeAndre Square (LB), Yusuf Corker (S), Wan'Dale Robinson (WR) are all guys I expect to get some looks from NFL teams. Depending on how our LB group shakes out, I could see the Jets taking a look at Square. He's a little undersized (6'1" 215) but should run in the 4.5-4.6 range and is a good athlete overall. I could see him playing WILL in the NFL for an even-front team.

10. Jason MacIsaac

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2019/12/...hols-wildcats-news-sec-pro-football-focus-pff

No chance in hell Jets get him in the 6th round if he entered the 2020 draft. I'm trying to piece together the reasoning behind the bad year production wise.

He was ranked the 22nd best CB returning to college by PFF for the 2020 season.

"22. CB BRANDIN ECHOLS, KENTUCKY
    Brandin Echols was a junior college transfer who started off at receiver and ended up a defensive back. And based on his play in his first year at Kentucky, it seems like that was a great call. The Wildcat is one of the 10 best press-man corners in college football, where he’s allowed just eight catches on his 23 targets for 99 yards. He’s a sticky corer and is difficult to beat in contested situations. On those plays, he’s allowed just six catches while forcing 12 incompletions."

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-top-30-defensive-backs-returning-in-2020

#10 Jason MacIsaac, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
    NCJetsfan, KY Jets Fan and joelip like this.
  11. Jason MacIsaac

Sorry for filling this thread with tweets/metrics but I think out of all the picks, this kid may surprise the most.

Derek Stingley Jr., LSU - 91.7 (Potential Top 5 pick 2022)
    Kaiir Elam, UF - 87.8 (Potential Top 10 pick 2022)
    Patrick Surtain II, Bama - 83.5 (Top 10 pick 2021)
    Eric Stokes, UGA - 81.4 Z (First Round pick 2021)
    Brandin Echols, UK - 78.0
    Roger McCreary, Auburn - 78.0 (Potential top 3 rounds 2022)
    Tyson Campbell, UGA - 76.4 (Second Round Pick 2021)

#11 Jason MacIsaac, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I feel like opposing teams targeted Kelvin Joseph, Davonte Robinson, and Vito Tisdale. Without going back to look at the tape and just trying to remember off of watching the games live, Echols was always quiet on gameday which is what you want from a CB. He gave up his fair share of plays, hence why he went in the 6th and not the 1st-2nd round but I feel like teams saw his 9 PBU's in 2019 and said, "let's target someone else in 2020" which is why his 2020 numbers don't look great.

Echols has some things he needs to work on to succeed in the NFL, namely fluidity in his hips and ball skills IMO, but he's got all the athletic tools you want from a CB and is a very instinctive player. I'm excited to see what Saleh can do with Echols.

#12 KY Jets Fan, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 5, 2021
    NCJetsfan and joelip like this.
  13. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I love what JD did on day 3 of the draft. All these guys have upside and the coaches have a plan for them. That's not to say all or any of them will work out but I love the strategy.

REVISion, NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Interesting. If you're right about Echols and his being a slot CB, then there will be great competition between Guidry, Carter and Echols and we hopefully should come out of it with two good slot CBs. If all three of them prove to be good, perhaps we can trade one for a draft pick.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I love all the speed we added this year. How many 4.3 40 guys did we add, 3? 4? 5? Mann shouldn't have to change his punting style this year. We should have gunners who can get down the field to cover his long punts, so we should have better field position, and if any of those guys can cover, no WRs should be able to get deep behind them.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

At the very least, TC this year will feature a few interesting position battles. RB, RG, CB/Slot CB, WILL, and maybe even S.

themorey, REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.