Possible 53-Man Roster for 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by joelip, May 4, 2021.

1. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

One possible roster prior to offseason and camp cuts and free agent signings:

QB: Wilson (R), Foles (via trade) (2)
    WR: Davis, Mims, Crowder, Moore (R), Cole (5)
    TE: Herndon, Kroft, Yeboah (R) (3)
    RB: Carter (R), Coleman, Johnson, Adams (4)
    FB: Wesco (1)
    OT: Becton, Fant, Edoga, McDermott (4)
    OG: Vera-Tucker, Van Roten, Clark (3)
    C: McGovern, Feeney (2)

DE: Lawson, Franklin-Myers, Curry, K. Phillips, Zuniga, Huff (6)
    DT: Q. Williams, Rankins, Fatukasi, Shepherd (4)
    LB: Mosley, J. Davis, Cashman, Sherwood (R), Nasirildeen (R) (5)
    CB: Hall, Austin, Guidry, Hardee, Pinnock (R), Carter (R), Echols (R) (7)
    S: Maye, Joyner, Davis, Hampton (4)

K Ficken
    P Mann
    LS Hennessey

Practice Squad: Morgan QB, Perine FB, V. Smith WR, Jaleel Scott WR, Saltes G, Marshall DT, Rashed DE, D. Phillips LB, Brendon White LB, Ballentine CB, Dunn CB, Hassell S (12)

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Interesting to see the numbers broken down. It looks reasonable, but I can't believe that the Jets would only keep 2 QBs on the roster and only 5 WRs. I think some team would grab Morgan. I think Morgan and at least 6 WRs are on the roster. I don't think we'll be able to keep 6 DEs either. At least one, and maybe two of Phillips, Zuniga and Huff won't make the team. I also don't think we'll keep 7 CBs. I think we keep 5 at most. I think there's a good chance that one of Edoga/McDermott don't make the final roster, either. I don't know anything about Saquan Hampton, but I'd be surprised if he makes the team if Sherwood and Nasirildeen do. I think they rotate one or both between LB and SS

I'm curious why you think the Jets keep Jaleel Scott over J. Smith or Cager. The Jets are supposedly (or were) high on J. Smith. What's Scott done to deserve a place on the PS? I also don't see the Jets keeping Perine on the PS. He's not a scheme fit. I think they would be more likely to keep Guerriero on the PS since he's fast.

Jets79, NYGANGGREEN and joelip like this.
  3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I’m so mad to see Ficken there. Mac and Gase idiots gettinf rid of Myers left at a hole at kicker for years. My guess is when we are good enough to be in these games, we’re going to lose a nail biter to another team because Ficken blew the game winning field goal and only then will we do anything to address it.

Jets_Grinch, Rockinz and Jets79 like this.
  4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

There’s a lot to be positive about. TE and K rooms need some serious work.

Jets79, NCJetsfan and joelip like this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The most notable thing about the list is that a lot of good young developing players will not make the roster. There appears to be a lot more depth and there will be some fierce fighting to make this team. JD has done a good job assembling this team. Now can our new coaching staff coach and develop these players? It has been said this is the most talented CS we have had since when Belichick and Parcells were here. I am excited about the future to see what Saleh can do with these players.I am drinking large amounts of Saleh kool aid.

6. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

7. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I think Coleman is the odd man out in the RB stable. Perine would get snatched from the PS (despite him not showing much last year).

Footballgod214 likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Perine is just going to get flat out cut. He’s not a scheme fit. If we keep 4, he’s the obvious odd man out considering the other 4 do exactly what you want a wide zone RB to do.

Jets79 likes this.
  9. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I would be pretty surprised. I know a RB room doesn't necessarily need to have a veteran leader, but I would really like it if Coleman stuck around.

We have a lot of young dudes in that room. Perine, Adams, Johnson and Carter are all 24 years old or younger. Not to mention if Coleman IS healthy, he is a very solid receiving back. I would prefer to see him on the field on almost all 3rd down situations to begin the season.

KY Jets Fan and joelip like this.
  10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I tend to agree, but perhaps Douglas tries to make one of his draft picks pan out. I don't see JD doing that though.

11. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Good points, NC. I had similar thoughts as I took possible shots in the dark about this roster. I did have some rationales, though:

Morgan. Seems like many NFL teams are carrying two quarterbacks on the roster and one on the practice squad. Morgan didn't sniff the field last year, presumably because he wasn't ready. I'm guessing that the Jets can find some way to squirrel him onto the practice squad.

You're likely right about K. Phillips, Zuniga, and Huff. I had trouble cutting Phillips because I see him as the prospective backup left end in the 4-3. I also thought Zuniga would be a tough cut because he was JD's 3rd round pick last year and has tons of untapped athletic ability. Huff I just like the best as our backup 4-3 right end. You're probably right, though, at least one of those won't be on the opening day roster.

I had trouble cutting down our "cast of thousands" young CB's to 6. I do think that 7 of them will show enough promise to be kept and that 7 is not an ungodly number of CB's in today's pass-happy NFL. Actually, I'm curious if we eventually take the chalk route and ink Poole, Nelson, or even Sherman (although I'm not a fan of watching old and slow CB's trying to keep up with the Hill's and Waddle's of today's NFL; Sherman as a safety I could buy, but I notice that Saleh's safeties and cornerbacks are speedsters, and the big, slow safeties he's bringing in will essentially be linebackers).

Hampton is a Rutgers kid with sub 4.5 speed who supposedly is excellent on special teams. I think he'll be our 4th safety. As I mentioned, I see the big safeties drafted as backup linebackers. I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring in an experienced but relatively young 4-3 linebacker in camp.

You may well be right about the WR's also. It seemed to me that Scott (who was drafted in the 4th round by Baltimore in 2018) has a better athletic profile (including slightly better speed) than Cager. I also pick V. Smith over J. Smith. I may be crazy, but my thought is that they keep one speedster and one possession receiver on the PS.

To me, Edoga is still a developmental work in progress and McDermott shows at most only flashes of semi-competence. However, Edoga has upside and McDermott has versatility (can play 4 of the 5 OL positions in a pinch).

My other shot in the dark is that they bulk up Perine and stash him on the PS as a developmental FB.

#11 joelip, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Hit the wrong button!

#12 joelip, May 4, 2021
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Too many defensive ends/lineman. Ten is overkill. Morgan will be on the roster. I don't have much of an opinion of him, but I don't think there's any option to hide him. A team can sign him, activate him for a week and then shuffle him over to their own practice squad.

He'll be on the roster even if we keep three.

Jets79 and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  14. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I wouldn't despair about Ficken. We will have McLaughlin and Naggar in camp, and there will be tons of cut kickers floating around at some point.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I hope you're right that Morgan shows enough in camp to make the team. I'm getting skeptical at this point. As I noted to NC, you guys are almost certainly right about the DE's.

16. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

In general I think that’s pretty close, particularly OL, RB.

They kept James Morgan on the roster all year last year even though he wasn’t active. They used a roster spot on him instead of practice squad spot to make sure other teams couldn’t sign him… that to me means they like him more than a lot of people assume. I would guess they do the same this year even if Foles is brought In.

I doubt they roll with 11 DBs. Probably 9-10.

And DE, my guess is 5 not 6.

17. NCJetsfan

Not happening, imo. JD didn't sign him to put him on the PS. Perine is not a scheme fit. He should be the one to go

Jets79 likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I disagree, I dont think anyone would want to sign Morgan and I dont see the Jets really caring anyway

edit: Ehh ya know I could be dead wrong I guess. I didn't realize they kept him on the active roster all of 2020

#18 BrowningNagle, May 4, 2021
  19. NCJetsfan

Your rationales were fine. As I said, I think you did a good job. It's funny I had just started thinking yesterday, wondering what the roster might look like, so I was really glad to see your post. It helped clarify things in my mind.

I understand having trouble cutting some of the young players that we just drafted/signed, but sadly there won't be room for them all. The exciting thing is that we have so many young players with potential, and it's exciting to think what our CS might be able to do with them.

Thanks for the info on Hampton and Scott. I knew nothing about them.

At this point, I don't think JD is going to re-sign Poole. Unless Guidry or Carter gets injured or struggles in TC, I think he will roll with the two of them. Why not? We're not going to be a playoff team this year anyway, and we might as well try to develop them and see what we have in them. Poole also has missed a bunch of games the last two years. I think it's somewhere around 9-12 games that he has missed.

Both Smiths are fast. Cager would be a possession and red zone-type WR.

I was initially glad that they added Edoga as a developmental project, but imo he has made little progress. Unless he comes to TC a different player or the CS thinks they can make something out of him, I think I'd rather see him cut at the end of TC and replaced with one of the youngsters or a camp cut by another team.

I like the idea of Perine bulking up and getting a shot at FB. I wonder if JD has thought about that or if Perine would be interested/willing to do that. That's really creative thinking on your part. I love it!

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Perine getting bounced to the practice squad in year two seems unlikely.

We should find at least one corner in free agency even if it is just bringing back Poole.

KY Jets Fan likes this.