How do you like our Center, RG & RT

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, May 3, 2021.

1. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

How do you like our Center, RG & RT? Thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Our center is awesome and Fant is a nice stopgap.

AJW likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think McGovern will be very good this year. I think Fant will be fine. I'm hoping that Cam Clark will win the starting RG position, but even if GVR beats him out, he should be improved this year due to having a year's experience alongside Fant and McGovern, but also because of the scheme. Hopefully, they will get better coaching, too!

Noam, major33, J-Raw24 and 2 others like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think Fant is way overrated here. He's OK I guess. I expect that spot to be upgrading after they let him go next year and don't pickup the option.

McGovern will be good in this scheme. He was used as a power drive blocker in Gase's inside zone bullshit. He'll be moving laterally in this one.

If Chargers fans are right about Feeny then right guard is a crapshoot.

Becton is a monster run blocker but he also needs to get better in pass pro. He's not yet a great player.

PJ4Ever, NYJFOREVER, Kryoptix and 3 others like this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Fant is a solid short term RT.

McGovern is a good enough C, and will benefit from better guard play.

I have no idea who our starting RG would be right now. If it's Lewis or Van Roten, I don't feel good. Clark is an unknown. Feeney was not well received here when we signed him.

SOJAZ, Cman68, AJW and 1 other person like this.
  6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

If I’m not mistaken, last year was Fant’s 1st as a full time tackle (previously he was a blocking TE/OT). He was a successful college basketball player so I’d assume he has lateral quickness. Those 2 factors make me very optimistic for for Fant moving forward.

Cam Clark is a developmental OL who had a year to develop.

Alex Lewis has been a solid enough OG for years and is the only one who was on the team 2 years ago

Van Roten was rotten the 1st half the season but did a good job down the stretch.

IMO we have a solid starting lineup and solid depth at guard.

Depth at OT is my only concern right now. When Fant or Becton need to miss a game who do we have? Chuma, Clark, AVT, McDermott, an UDFA?

#6 KingRoach, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Seneca, Noam, Jets81 and 3 others like this.
  7. toddhershkowitz

toddhershkowitz Active Member

suspect.
    at best.

8. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Center and RT are good enough with some upside in the new scheme

RG could be a problem or it could be a strength...no one knows, but gotta hope one of the guys in contention can step up. If not, I would expect the Jets to solve it via FA or trade before the season.

Was surprised they didn’t draft another mid-round lineman but maybe it’s a good sign that they like Clark

9. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

One thing that is going to be interesting is how other teams defend us. For argument's sake, let's the right side isn't that great and teams try to overload that side. Just hand the ball off behind Becton and AVT on the left and the other team is screwed. Or if they bring people up, just have Moore come across as the bailout in case too much pressure comes in quickly from the right and he slips right by all those oncoming rushers. What a great pick since he can be a stopgap underneath with his speed until we get both sides of the line where we want it. With speed and a QB that has a quick release, it is going to be a nightmare for the defense. I'm very interested to see the play-calling & how Zach handles the pressure when defenses are coming for him.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Honestly the right side is an issue. Fant is ok at best and Lewis and GVR are both below average. My hope is Clark becomes the guy and develops into an above average RG. Then next year we get a tackle to replace Fant.

11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If they are poor this season then they will be replaced by a top prospect in next year's draft.

None of us liked the Feeney pick up but by all accounts his plus side is lateral movement and that is what we want iin this scheme, is it not?

So he may not be just a mullet after all :D

12. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

We are likely one player away from a very good OL....whether that player is already on the roster or not remains to be seen.

don’t forget the new QB has some wheels.

NCJetsfan, Red Menace and FJF like this.
  13. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

McGovern and Fant are good enough that Wilson shouldn’t get killed out there. Right guard is what bothers me. The hope is between the like 5 guys that are competing for the job that one of them ends up looking like an adequate starter.

NCJetsfan, Losmeister and K'OB like this.
  14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i would opinion that the jets will likely make a splash in next years FA market along the OL. One significant signing to put the line over the top and further help the second year QB.

the high round picks next year HAVE to go to impact defensive players.

i'm lazy - anyone have who is available in 2022.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The right side should be ok as long as we run to the left

Cman68 and Red Menace like this.
  16. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

You should be on the offensive co-ordination team.

Brook! and FJF like this.
  17. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Right side is fine but Douglas will need to continue to draft offensive lineman until we replace RT and C. I'm hopeful Clark develops into the RG spot. Douglas ha proven he had the foresight with the short term deals he gave out, which is allowing him to fill the spots slowly, and now with the contracts coming to an end (next year), most will have been replaced by draft picks.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think McGovern and Fant are ok to solid. Seems like the CS believes they will improve this season with the scheme change so I'm hopeful.

RG is obviously the weak spot on the line, should make for an interesting camp with Lewis, GVR, and Clark all pushing for the spot.

NCJetsfan and Losmeister like this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Mcgovern is a lot better than we have seen so far, hopefully, he will show us his final season at Denver next season for us and we will then know why JD didn't draft Humphrey or another centre, I am not so sure on GVR or Lewis taking up the spot in between him and Fant though, we have to hope that Clark is ready to show why we drafted him last year.

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  20. Kevin Randall

Kevin Randall Member

Has there been any reason given as to why Cam Clark didn't play at all last season?

cval likes this.