2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Yikes. 4th place in the division at best

2. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I'd say they don't have much offensive talent at all. For all his + skating, stick handling ability Barzal just isn't a finisher. I've played in rec leagues with guys like him, they are fun to watch between the tops of the D circle to the O circle but after that he's just avg. 39 points for your top player at this point in the season isn't very good.

The problem this team has with breakouts isn't their offensive scheme, its their defensive mindset. The offensive scheme is more about what happens after gaining the O zone with control. Having 5 players playing tight and together on D provides on good D but with no forwards up high at the point its not easy to generate separation for breakouts. Each line has a different identity as well, some skate the puck up through the neutral zone, other lines need to pass to move the puck up. Not being able to mix it up on different lines really makes it easier to defend for the opposition. They also don't seem to have much confidence to take shots on net. I've lost count on how many times they've passed up wide open shots to try sketchy passes to players that are covered just to move the puck to get a different look. Shooting the puck and getting guys in front of the goalie makes good things happen. I'd take 50 cheap Adam Graves type goals a year over how this team tries to create shots.

3. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Which begs the question why isn't Palmieri on the 1st line with Barzal. Palmieri is a finisher and Barzal is a playmaker. Given their struggles on offense I don't understand why they won't try this. Also why is Wahlstrom who is one of our more skilled offensive forwards still sitting. It makes no sense. They need to try and put their best offense out their. KP to the 1st line and Wahlstrom in the lineup is something I would like to see them do. Maybe put Wahlstrom with Barzal. Anything is better than Leo on line 1. Hoping they can beat the Washington Hockey Team tonight.

No Fly Zone and Red Menace like this.
  4. No Fly Zone

No argument here on that, they need to try every combination possible. It seems like they really like the chemistry on their 3rd and 4th lines but they need to mix up the top 2 to find something that works. Wahlstrom and Palmieri should absolutely be part of that mix to find the right fit.

5. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

So it's Bailey with Barzal tonight... When did Bailey become a finisher? Trotz just keeps refusing to put Wahlstrom on the first line...:mad:

Red Menace likes this.
  6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Yet another pathetic offensive performance leads to yet another loss.

7. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Only a point up on 4th place Boston and 5 up on the Rangers. It would still take a lot to go wrong for them to miss but its possible. Honestly at this point I wouldn't be to disappointed if they did miss. We make it we get swept or lose in 5 in Rd 1. Big whoop.

8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

If their was ever a night to get a regulation win this is it. A regulation win over the Rangers gives them a 7 point lead over NYR and drops the magic number to clinching to 4.

9. statjeff22

Big win in a must-win game.

Petrozza likes this.
  10. No Fly Zone

Reminds me of when the Rangers refused to use Kevin Hayes properly, he got pissed and eventually was traded. Dumb move by Rangers, hopefully Trotz won't keep treating Wahlstrom like the Rangers did with Haayes.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Great start. Let’s get these playoffs wrapped up.

12. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Alright, they are in the playoffs! Congrats, everyone!

stinkyB and Red Menace like this.
  13. statjeff22

This is the team they need to be to really make noise in the playoffs. Nice to see it.

Islanders are 89-9-10 when scoring at least three goals since Trotz became the coach, 23-4-3 this season.

Tonight was the first time the Isles played the Rangers during the month of May since May 5, 1981, when they completed a sweep of them in the Cup semifinals.

stinkyB likes this.
  14. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Cant beat one of the worst teams in the league starting a minor league goalie. I don’t see an enjoyable playoff run coming.

16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Letdown. Pens lost to the Flyers so stuff like this happens. We are not getting home ice so I don't care if we are 3rd or 4th. I hope the Isles get the Pens. Pitt won't be easy but I want to avoid the Caps if possible.

JetBlue likes this.
  17. statjeff22

They seem to only be able to put together a decent game these days against the Rangers, which isn't going to help in a couple of weeks. You shouldn't blow a 2-0 lead to a borderline AHL team like Buffalo.

18. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Another loss in Buffalo... They will be a quick one round and out in the playoffs

19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

They need to wake the F up otherwise it will be one and done.

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Limping into the playoffs..... kinda did last year if I remember correctly. Hopefully theyre getting a slump out of their system

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.