2021 NFL Draft - Day 3 poll

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Petrozza, May 1, 2021.

?

What grade would you give the Jets for their Day 3 selections?

1. A

10.3%
  2. B

44.8%
  3. C

34.5%
  4. D

10.3%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

It’s hard to grade - most of those secondary picks I never heard of. But it appears the Jets are attacking the back 7 both experimentally and roster wise. The unit needed an infuse of talent. How talented they are remains to be seen.

I really like Carter - seems like a Bruce Harper type as far as the running game goes. Adds a speedy element which the running game kinda lacked up to now.

This is going to be a very interesting training camp/pre-season to see how The coaching staff utilizes all of these pieces.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I tend to agree, and I also think too much emphasis is put whether a particular player "fits a scheme." It's football, if you have talent you should be able to play in anyone's "system" or at least you should look for players who can. When I think of the great QB's who played this game, I don't believe they were great because there was a good LG in front of them. If Wilson has greatness in him, and I sure hope he does, it shouldn't matter a great deal who is blocking in front of him.

3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I went C with day 3...too much focus on corners, wish we got another right tackle

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While I agree that too much emphasis is placed on positional importance at times, I think overall it is a guiding principle that should be followed more often than not. Mac was one who drafted for BPA regardless of positional importance, and he drafted too many DTs and ignored the important positions for the most part. IMO positional importance and adding blue chip talent are not mutually exclusive. One wants that blue chip talent at those key important positions first and foremost. since they have the biggest impact upon games.

5. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. Some uber-talented players can play and thrive in any scheme, but most players have a certain type of scheme in which they are best suited. What you are advocating is the square peg in round holes, which is what Gase and countless other Jets' GMs and HCs have done since Parcells. It simply does not work and you are ignoring Jets' and NFL history.

If a QB is having to run for his life on every play, it TOTALLY matters who is in front of him. Don't be ridiculous! QBs aren't super heroes. Some can over come bad situations, bad schemes, bad players around them, but most need competent play around them and a good scheme fit.

6. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I would have preferred one more offensive lineman among that slew of DBs, but I'm not gonna lose much sleep over a late round flyer.

I thought the most important things for the Jets this offseason, were to surround the QB with talent, and address the secondary.

Seems like they've at least tried to do that, so I can't really complain.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#26 jcass10, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Listen, I hear you. Normally, I don't like taking OGs in the 1st round, the second round is the earliest I would consider taking one, and would never even consider trading up for an OG. This year was different however, since we couldn't upgrade the OG positions in FA and there weren't a lot of good OGs in the 2nd or 3rd rounds who wouldn't be converting from OT or C, JD basically had no choice. I didn't like giving up even one of the 3rd round picks, much less both, but it had to be done. It was either bite the bullet and move up or risk Wilson's health. He's better at pass blocking that the scouting reports you read indicated. I had seen one or two of those as well, but since the draft, I've seen some statistics that indicated otherwise. I guess time will show who was right the scouting reports or statistics from his college career/JD & the Jets' scouts. With JD being a former OL, I have to trust his judgment.

8. NCJetsfan

I disagree regarding too much emphasis on scheme. Most players definitely fit a specific style or scheme better than other styles/schemes. For some it is psychological/mental, such as in an attacking scheme or read and react. For others (especially our wide zone scheme) it is purely physical. For our scheme to be ultimately successful, it demands OL who have excellent lateral movement skills, agility, quickness, and the ability to get to the second level and block on the move. A lot of the OL in this draft did not have that lateral mobility, agility, or ability to block well on the move. They were more suited for a straight ahead man-to-man power scheme, where they were blocking more in a phone booth. With those type of OL, our rushing attack would never have been successful, and would have required a totally different type of RB. Our new QB is also an ideal fit for our new scheme, but may not have been as great a fit for other schemes.

Football is more complex, more specialized than it used to be. IMO the thinking that any player should be able to fit any scheme is no longer accurate. Think back to the last several regimes. Why have there been so many comments made about our HCs and Coordinators trying to fit square pegs into round holes. That's because their talents/skill sets weren't up to what the schemes we were running demanded. I believe that this season and in successive seasons you will see why scheme fit is so important.

9. westiedog1

We all have our preferences as to how we would have drafted, however, the bottom line is that I wasn't hired to manage the Jets. I'm now comfortable (thanks to you) that our coach has the players he wants according to his vision for the Jets and I'm cool with that. I think we now have an offense that is potentially as good as I've seen it in the last decade.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Definitely. That's one of the amazing things about this site and others like it, is seeing just how many different perspectives there are on things.

I'm glad that I helped you feel more comfortable with our new team. I truly am excited and think that most of us should be very happy with how our offense will perform and how good our team will become.

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. westiedog1

My concern is what happens if JD and Saleh don't succeed. Are we going to have to purge the roster and start all over again because the players don't fit the new regimes scheme? I once read a book about football by a sports reporter for the NY Times, I think it was by Robert Lipsyte. He describes football as a very simple game that involves hitting the opponent until one team gets tired of hitting. I just think they should look for football players first but I guess I'm old fashioned.

12. NCJetsfan

I could be wrong, but imo, Mr. Lipsyte is mistaken. I think the game used to be that way, but is no longer. There are so many different systems/schemes now, both defenses and offenses have gotten more complex, and having bigger, stronger, faster, better-conditioned athletes and rules changes have led to changes in the game.

To answer your question, if JD and Saleh don't succeed, I'm not sure what will happen. It could all depend upon why they didn't succeed? Did JD not supply the necessary players/talents for the schemes? Did the CS not develop the players and put them in a position to succeed? Did Wilson not play well or stay healthy? If JD has built a very good roster, then he could get the opportunity to fire Saleh and hire a new HC, and if need be, draft a new QB. If JD failed to deliver the talent, then it would be up to the new GM to do the smart thing. Changing HCs and CSs can be somewhat of a setback, but doesn't have to lead to a roster purge. If JD or the new GM kept the same schemes, then it would require only adding some better/different talent. What really has killed the Jets time and again through the years is that rather than finding and hiring coaches that have kept the same schemes, they haved hired coaches that totally changed the schemes, and that not only dictated roster purges but a year or two for the teams to adapt to the new systems/schemes. The Steelers have only had I think 3 HCs in the last 20-30 years, but they've maintained stability and consistency due to the fact that they kept the same basic schemes, so they didn't have to do roster purges and start over.

Should JD and Saleh fail, I'd have to hope for Jets' fans sake that the new GM would be wise enough to hire a HC that will keep the same schemes. If JD and Saleh fail, I probably won't care, as I will have given up on the Jets ever getting it right.

westiedog1 likes this.
  13. westiedog1

It's true, I read that book a long time ago. I think I recall the player on the cover with a leather helmet. :)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If JD and Saleh fail it will just lead to more of the same. The Jets franchise model is broken and it keeps cycling into bad events as a result of being a broken process.

The logical move to break the cycle if JD and Saleh fail will be to hire a team President with vast successful NFL experience and have them take the reins over the entire organization.

15. westiedog1

I'm not sure that would work either as long as ownership remains the same. I think we need some sort of fan revolt like they recently had in England over soccer. I'm not sure what it was about, I don't follow soccer except for the World Cup, but I think the owners were trying to reorganize the teams and the fans didn't like it, went ballistic and forced the owners to back down. Maybe our British members can tell us more about it.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

12 clubs were trying to form a permanent Super League, essentially at the expense of all the others and the relegation leagues that have been around since professional football's debut.

These 12 clubs, 6 from the UK, 3 from Spain and 3 from Italy, would have set themselves up permanently as the top league in Europe with no relegations or additions for the forseeable future.

Fans of the UK clubs involved went berserk, since they want to play the teams they're used to playing, not some permanent Super League. The league collapsed after the UK and Italian teams pulled out in response to the protests.

TLDR is billionaires trying to be even more billionairey and common folks telling them to go shove it.

westiedog1 likes this.