Hayden Hurst

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by J-Raw24, May 3, 2021.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Just a thought, but they didn't pick up his 5th year. They also drafted Pitts. If we could get him cheap, maybe a 5th, I would go for it. Any thoughts? I think with Herndon + Yabeoh + Hurst one has to work out right.

King Koopa likes this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

You beat me to it J-Raw! Just saw this come through on my Twitter TL.

I wonder what ATL's asking price in a trade would be. I with ya, if it's a 5th or lower, I'd probably give it a shot. Hurst was solid last year in a crowded receiving unit.

Interesting thought, I wonder if we could flip Crowder for Hurst? I think ATL's slot is Russell Gage so maybe they would like to upgrade there?

3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I’m still bewildered why this guy was ever a first round pick. His production is up there with Eric Tomlinson. He’ll need to be cheap.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'll pass. i'd rather run with kroft and wesco for this year and draft one next year.

5. J-Raw24

Last year he had 56 receptions for 571 yards and 6 to with an average of 10.2 yards per reception. That's with a very bad Matt Ryan throwing him the ball. Eric Tomlinson is no comparison. Hurst could easily get better especially in an offense where Kittle was an absolute beast and TEis used very effectively. Falcons would rather throw to wrs.

King Koopa and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. J-Raw24

I would normally agree. I was on the side of not drafting Wilson. But now that we have I think it's in our best interests to give him as many weapons as possible. We need to do everything in our power to make sure this kid succeeds. That means adding players that could have high upside. That's what Hurst is. Low risk, high reward. Wescott isn't catching passes and Kroft hasn't shown it yet either. You keep adding talent until you get someone that's shows he can be the man at every position.

#6 J-Raw24, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. I'd love to have Crowder around to mentor Moore, but Moore may not even need mentoring. Trading Crowder for Hurst is a great idea! It could actually accomplish a couple of things. First, is the obvious giving Wilson another pass receiving option at TE. Second, the $10 million cap space could possibly enable JD to one of sign Sherman, S. Nelson and Poole, or one of KJ Wright and K. Alexander and Poole. That would make us a better team, and it wouldn't really harm the receiving options for Wilson, although it would be a slight downgrade from Crowder to Hurst.

8. J-Raw24

I think we will make more cuts soon to free up room anyway. If any of these kids show up there is a chance we cut some vets like Van Rotten. I would keep Crowder if we can and trade a 5th or later. Cut some of the shit players from last year. But I get what you're saying. I just want to make sure we give the kids behind center as much help as possible. We didn't do that with Darnold. We can't make that mistake again.

9. NCJetsfan

I'd rather cut Lewis than Van Roten. Cutting Lewis would give more cap space and GVR is better. He can compete for the starting RG job, and be a good backup OG if Clark wins the RG job. I'd rather see Van Roten on the field than either Lewis or Feeney.

10. J-Raw24

I can agree with that. Things is both guards spots were absolutely bad last year and needed upgrades. AVT is huge for us, if he plays anywhere near what we all hope then we will be looking to upgrade the right side and have a top o line again. But we also need skill position to perform which is why I want Hurst. I love the Moore and Carter picks and have high hopes for Mims. I would still like to see a wr1 as well but I think we are in a way better place than a year ago.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

hurst really isn't good either. he's a below average TE. i'd rather stick with broken down griffin for this year

12. GasedAndConfused

we should totally bet who wins the starting OG spot. Lewis will take it over GVR IMO

13. NCJetsfan

I truly believe that either Mims or Moore will develop into a #1 WR.

14. J-Raw24

Well Moore can stretch the field and I think he can run any routes asked of him. I wouldn't rely on him making contested catches, but I love him as a player. I think he has huge potential.

Mims I see more as a wr1. If he can develop into that it would be amazing. As of now I view him as a top end wr2 if he can stay healthy. I like both in this offense. Let's hope it works. I would still try to get another wr that has wr1 potential going forward.

But I'm hoping next year we are going BPA. I would like to see another high potential wr, rt, and rg on offense. And we have a lot of holes on d that may or may not be filled. At CB we have a lot of young players that could potentially become what we need, especially Hall. Then our pass rush is on the fence, maybe great or could need upgrades. And even at LB I'm not comfortable.

As a team I feel we improved, but we got a ways to go. I would like to be competing in year 3 with Wilson. If not we made a mistake. But I do think we need to give it time and not go crazy as well.

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I get the feeling the CS believes they can get Herndon back on track. The TE group right now is decent with potential to be better than decent. I’m perfectly fine seeing what we have this year with Herndon and maybe the UDFA kid shows something with opportunity. If not we address next year with a pick.

I’d rather use Crowder to add more ammo for next draft, even if it’s a 4th or more likely 5th, I’d probably do that now.

KingRoach likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If we didn't just sign Kroft it would've made sense or if we dealt a pick during the draft. We have two roster spots locked up at tightend in Herndon and Kroft so it wouldn't make much sense to give up a pick. He seems like a pretty good player.

#16 Jonathan_Vilma, May 3, 2021
  17. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Hurst is much better than some of the guys listed in this thread...he had some big games last season that you’re just not going to see out of these jags

I still like Herndon but he would be a much better receiving threat than anyone else we have

#17 King Koopa, May 3, 2021