Expert Grades and Reviews of Jets Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by patleahy, May 1, 2021.

1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I disagree.

2. patleahy

Pete Prisco's Overall Draft Class Grades are in today, over at CBS Sports. He gave the Jets a "B" for their draft. Here is what he had to say:

New York Jets: B

Best pick: I love fourth-round running back Michael Carter. He is an air back who will give them big-play ability from the running back spot. This is the round where you pick backs, and the Jets nailed it by drafting Carter. He brings juice.

Worst pick: I know they needed offensive-line help, but why give up two third-round picks to go get Alijah Vera-Tucker with the 14th pick. It cost them two thirds, which is too steep a price for a guard, regardless of how highly that guard is rated. Jets overpaid here big-time.

The skinny: The Jets took Zach Wilson with the second pick and then spent much of the draft building the offense around him, which makes perfect sense and is something they never did for the much-maligned Sam Darnold. I love the pick of receiver Elijah Moore in the second round. He adds a speed threat in the slot and catches everything in sight. This draft is all about Wilson — no matter what any of the other players do. If Wilson is a bust, the draft will be seen as a bust too. I didn't like him as much as Justin Fields; Fields is the superior QB.

#82 patleahy, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
  3. patleahy

GAC I have to ask you point-blank, do you think Kiper overrated Fields OR do you think he is correct that Fields was clearly the 2nd best QB in this draft, after TL?

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

overrated him. I'm not going to rate fields overall as I didn't feel I watched enough film on lance, lawerence, or jones. I mostly spent all my time on wilson and fields. But overall fields didn't impress me at all. he looked good, not great. looks like a guy who needs a lot around him and the right system and will have to rely on his athletic ability. he's an elite athlete but only a good QB. I think he'll be a solid player with some really good years but overall a guy who is never a top QB and probably at bets borderline top 10 guy. think a flacco or cutler type of guy

5. patleahy

Footballgod214 likes this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Because they had the foresight to grab a future hall of fame QB before the Pats could scoop him up.

BrowningNagle and patleahy like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson has that "Prove Them Wrong" motto on his wristband, and I thought being the #2 overall pick in the NFL draft would erase the need for that, but he still has a lot of doubters. If he likes that chip on his shoulder or the underdog mentality, he is still in luck. I think that is actually better for him than being instantly anointed the savior like Trevor Lawrence has been in Jacksonville.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

in hindsight though

jets get
    LG AVT
    CB pinnock
    CB echols
    DT marshall

Minn gets
    LT Darrisaw
    QB Mond
    OG davis

Cheifs get
    OG Trey Smith

We wound up getting the same amount of players as picks we gave up anyway since we gave up 1 pick to minn but got 1 back from oakland in a trade down. The jets clearly were done with the o-line so wouldn't have grabbed davis and weren't drafting a QB either. we wanted to stock up on defense in the late rounds

9. patleahy

Good point, GAC. :)

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Prisco is another in the media whom I don't understand how he keeps his job. His analytical skills of prospects is severely lacking and his reasoning powers are severely lacking. The Jets gave up two third-round picks because they needed a really good LG to protect Wilson who could start day one and play at a high level. Would it have been cheaper to not trade up, take an inferior OL and have Wilson running for his life or getting injured right off the bat? Fields is NOT the superior QB. That's total BS! He's the superior athlete, and a case can be made that he might have a higher ceiling than Wilson, but Wilson is by far the better QB. He is more refined, more developed in the subtle nuances of playing the position, and is the better QB at this point. Also, how is it overpaying? It didn't cost the Jets a 1st or even a 2nd round pick. They got a 4th round pick back, so they paid the equivalent of a low 2nd round pick to move up.

Then there's "two steep"? "will be seem as a bust too" ? He doesn't even have command of our language or can't even proof-read his work and catch significant errors.

11. NCJetsfan

I'm wondering if you're going to change your handle and avatar? I hope so, because I never want to see Gase's face again or have the reminder.

HomeoftheJets and patleahy like this.
  12. patleahy

Prisco has been around a LONG time, NC.

13. patleahy

I have to disagree with you on this one, NC. I crack up everytime I see GAC's avatar, and it perfectly fits his username, which is also a hilarious username. I hope he keeps it, esp since BroadwaySam changed his. We need one person around here with Gase's googly eyes as his avatar! :)

14. NCJetsfan

I know that all too well. I've been around a lot longer than you. :):p

patleahy likes this.
  15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I’m on the hunt for a new avatar. I can’t bring myself to make it Wilson. I’m open to suggestions.

patleahy likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

probably change my pick but keep the name for another season

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. patleahy

That is a shame, Legler because I think that if you did choose a Zach Wilson avatar, it would go a long way to healing the still festering wounds on the message board, .....it would be seen as a classy, humble, downright magnanimous gesture and an obvious olive branch extended to Bickety and the rest of the Wilson Camp....just fyi....:);)

18. patleahy

Please don't change either, GAC. :(

19. patleahy

True...speaking of which Gil Brandt is still around AND is still active on social media and contributing to NFL.com. Pretty remarkable at 89.

20. GasedAndConfused

i'm kinda sick of looking at his face though too

NCJetsfan likes this.