Joe Douglas screwed up by trading up

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Apr 30, 2021.

1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I get saying trading up is risky, but saying it only rarely works out well is kind of stretching it.

Here are just a few guys that teams traded up to get since 1990, not including those already mentioned in this thread:
    Cortez Kennedy
    Emmitt Smith
    Willie Roaf
    John Lynch
    Bryant Young
    Derrick Brooks
    Marvin Harrison
    Mike Alstott
    Orlando Pace
    Walter Jones
    Tony Gonzalez
    Champ Bailey
    Damien Woody
    Troy Polamalu
    Haloti Ngata
    Rob Gronkowski
    Sean Lee
    Julio Jones
    Fletcher Cox
    Lavonte David
    Allen Robinson
    Jarvis Landry

And some successful Jets examples:
    Aaron Glenn
    Darrelle Revis
    Shaun Ellis
    Santana Moss
    Nick Mangold
    Sheldon Richardson

These are all players teams traded up to draft. I found these in 30 minutes of looking, mostly by vetting trades I remember from past drafts. That tells me there are PLENTY of other examples of successful trades up.

2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Of course there are. The NFL is about players not picks. There are limited players to choose from so it only make sense the higher the pick the better chance of success. There is a reason teams trade up because in a limited pool good to great players hit more in the first two rounds.Why because the better players are in the first two rounds.

Found a link. It is a little old but it makes the point.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015...e-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the link to this article. I had forgotten about it, but I have it bookmarked. It clearly demonstrates why those who think trading up for AVT was a mistake are dead wrong.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Drafting Quality over Quantity is what this is called. With 21 picks in '20 & '21 we need to get the best players. I rather have 6 quality players rather than 10 jags. Any time you can get 3 top 15 players in the draft in one draft....thats a win no matter how you cut it. JD is doing a great job.....in Joe I trust!

#104 BudJet, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
  5. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Exactly. I don't like the trade up but JD was forced to be aggressive in fixing a major hole by trading up and getting the best player at the position. I don't think with hindsight he would make that trade but in the end he got his #1 target for the position.

I still believe he was a bit too trigger happy. I would have waited until the Raiders pick.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I still don't know why people are so confident that Douglas was fine moving two tackles to guard and calling it a day, or that he thought a third round prospect would fit the bill. Bottom line is we have no idea and probably never will have any idea what JD thought. As fans, we like to think it's as simple as "moving to guard is easy, that's the solution" but there's probably so much more that goes into it than just that.

7. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Yea....it's all the drugs and alcohol used during the season to dull the pain I think...:p

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

many college OTs become guards in the NFL it's a common thing

NCJetsfan, major33 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  9. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I agree with the sentiment we should've taken the trade down but like I said in a few threads ultimately gonna depend on the players we got. I'm not high on our first 2 picks but idk even half as much as our FO.
    They clearly got the guys they wanted. Now let's just hope they're right.
    I don't agree that having more picks is ALWAYS the better option. Vast majority of the names called we'll never hear about so SOMETIMES you're better off going to get the guys you want but you have to be right when you do.

10. TwoHeadedMonster

Many OTs can play guard, not all. Some OGs can play tackle, but most cannot.

College programs are often limited by trying to predict how big a 16 year-old high school junior recruit is going to be when he's a 20 year old college junior. Add in the attrition rate for college players-- they are often playing kids out of position based on the talent available. MOST college OL play multiple positions through their career. It doesn't mean they are a good fit at all of them. Sometimes they are built to be an LT, and they're better than the fat sophomore who can't bend at the waist, but not as good at the 5th year senior who has his technique nailed down-- so they are playing LG. Sometimes they're built to be a RG, but there is nobody on the roster who can play RT worth a damn, and the backup RG is decent, so they're at RT.

This happens in the NFL, too, particularly with late season OL injuries-- but with Free Agency and only 32 teams, it's not as big of a deal. How many RTs are there across all divisions of college football, anyway?

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

It is riskier to pass up on a potentially elite LG when you already have a potentially elite LT that will be protecting your potentially elite QB prospect.

The ceiling for these three moves is incredibly high and remember...we aren't just trying to make the playoffs. We are trying to win a SB. If the left side is solidified, it gives Wilson a chance to work some magic in the pocket. If he works out...we have a shot.

#111 PennyandtheJets, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It is and it isn't I think. In the traditional man blocking or inside zone schemes it's a bit easier because you're moving forward, not laterally.

In this wide zone, the guard
    The evolution of the NFL offense also coincides with the evolution of the college offense. College offenses have become based on quick hitting plays to get playmakers in space. As a result, the offensive line has to block for less time and they come to the NFL less ready to block on longer developing pass plays or run block in a straight forward manner without all the smoke and mirrors that a college offense has.

That's why NFL offenses have adopted things like the jet sweeps, bubble screens, etc. Offensive lineman simply aren't as good as they used to be. Because if every coach could run the ball 45 times a game to the B-gap and win, they would. It's the most risk-adverse play in the sport.

Offensive lineman suffer the most from having little to no development program in the NFL. They have the potential to have the longest careers because their game is not predicated on speed, but rosters simply aren't big enough to keep enough developmental prospects on the roster. It's a shame.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Yes, well aware. I'm just saying the "we could have had Darrisaw at 23" crew is assuming that Douglas saw what he needed to see to believe that Darrisaw could be a guard. Read the scouting reports that talk about his effort and it's pretty easy to see why he may not have been all that high on our board.

Think you got cut off here...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

its more the level of talent. many OTs in college are good enough to play OT in college but not the NFL so they move to guard. too may college OTs can't handle the speed rushers of the NFL.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yes my bad. I was saying that the wide zone will dictate that the guard usually needs to get up to the linebacker much quicker so it can be a more difficult transition since they were transitioned over to guard because they likely are playing guard as they were not fleet of foot enough to play tackle in the NFL.

But I think the transition is usually done fairly easy in general because they're good enough run blockers to be in the NFL.

More difficult above not meaning difficult overall.

16. GasedAndConfused

also look at JDs draft. every player was a team captain except for 1 and they were an academic scholar. A+ person is big to him.

17. TwoHeadedMonster

Talent plays a part, for sure, but, often it's as simple as arm length. A guy can have all the talent and technique in the world, but if every NFL pass rusher can keep you from getting your hands on him, you can't be an OT at the NFL level. So take that technique and footwork to a Guard spot, where you can use your body and legs more than your hands. At the college level, even in a power conference, you aren't going to come up against NFL level athletic freaks every snap.

18. GasedAndConfused

yeah some jsut aren't built for it. long arms is very important for an OT. although there was an OT who did an AMA on reddit recently. he was a former 2nd overall pick and a bust due to drugs and alcohol problems but made a comeback in the NFL after being out of the league 4 years. he said long arms aren't necessary but they defiantly are an advantage

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on! Sadly, there are some posters here who think that whoever has the most draft picks each year wins. That's basically because they don't follow CFB, the draft or research prospects, they just sit back and pontificate what the GM should do, but have no understanding or knowledge to base their opinions upon.

BudJet likes this.
  20. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Absolutely 100%. Additionally, the great thing about AVT is he's also flexible in that he can play multiple positions should we suffer an injury or we need to make an in-game adjustment on the other side. Jenkins although great and someone we could have definitely used is not as flexible across the line. He's strictly a tackle. AVT can play every position on the line & that's what is most intriguing about him aside from his dominance at LG.