The 2021 Jets and Beyond have a Bright Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

It is an old Turkish soccer chant where I took the name of my soccer team Galatasaray and replaced it with Jets.

In summary this is what it means in Turkish.

NFL teams, hear our noise
    This noise is the noise of Jets footsteps
    Nobody can withstand against New York team
    AFC East teams beware of the defeat coming your way

FinnishJET and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's not "naive" to say that Sam sucks. It's the truth and facts! If you knew anything about football, you'd know that I'm right. The Jets didn't do anything to help Sam, and in fact, did everything they could to hinder him, but he didn't help himself or the team. He's a good kid, but he's not an innocent victim.

Generalizing about fans you don't know is stupid. You know nothing about me or any of the posters here.

Noam likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

They're stupid. The Jets may well take a CB early, but their top pick will be a DE, or at least should be.

mrjet80 likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

They really do have a bright future. This weekend has confirmed my suspicions! :)

The key for the 2021 Jets will be how fast can Zach Wilson progress and get up to speed in the NFL.

The left side of the O-line is strong with Becton, Vera-Tucker, and McGovern. I like Fant at right tackle too. We will see which guy earns the right guard spot. Either way, it is a solid offensive line.

Wilson has weapons too in Mims, Davis, Moore, Cole, and possibly Crowder. TE isn't great, but it could be good enough, especially if Herndon somehow returns to form.

Running back is also better than last year with Coleman, Carter, Perine, and Johnson. I like it.

Then on defense we will see how Robert Saleh improves it. The D-line is STACKED. Linebackers should be better than people think and the secondary is also better than people think, and will be improved with a free agent or two before the season.

Overall, Jets fans should be feeling really good today. 2021 will be a learning year filled with progress, but then it truly will be ALL GAS NO BRAKE because they will have cap space and plenty of picks headed into 2022.

Joe Douglas is doing this right. :cool:

5. Odessa83

Odessa83 Member

I have been lurking on and off here since 2002. Just this last season I saw posts way over emotional , border line ridicules . In NY in general , you have Giants fans booing Eli after he won them 2 Super Bowls , boo jeter and mo of the Yankees , let’s not forget these idiots freaking out over a slow start by the Yankees in a 162 game season . So yeah the body of work says most ny fans are idiots and act like scumbags . Honestly I think most ny teams would benefit in putting a muzzle in the fans and telling them to shut up, let the player’s okay, coaches coach and young players develop. The most important , a total media black out. If I was an owner, I would absolutely do that .

Noam likes this.
  6. Odessa83

Odessa83 Member

I have been lurking on and off here since 2002. Just this last season I saw posts way over emotional , border line ridicules . In NY in general , you have Giants fans booing Eli after he won them 2 Super Bowls , boo jeter and mo of the Yankees , let’s not forget these idiots freaking out over a slow start by the Yankees in a 162 game season . So yeah the body of work says most ny fans are idiots and act like scumbags . Honestly I think most ny teams would benefit in putting a muzzle in the fans and telling them to shut up, let the player’s okay, coaches coach and young players develop. The most important , a total media black out. If I was an owner, I would absolutely do that .

7. The Dark Knight

The fans don't matter though. If booing you messes you up, then you are not made for professional sports anyway. Sam Darnold did not lose any sleep because @NCJetsfan thinks he is terrible. :D

You can't compare Sam going (2-14) with the Yankees or Eli winning 2 Super Bowls either. It has been a brutal 3 years for the Jets. Not all Sam's fault of course, but you can see why fans would be rightfully upset.

I don't like the New York media either. I feel they are toxic and put an unnecessary dark cloud around the Jets, but that is no excuse for poor play on the field. I agree with you, they just need to black it out, and it looks like that is what the Jets are doing now under Joe Douglas.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

You do understand that "fan" is the shortened form of "fanatic" don't you? Rooting for a team is often more of an emotional activity than intellectual, so it's not unexpected that people will get over-emotional. If that really bothers you, then do something about it. Be a force for change. Stop lurking and post more. Point out all the positives in the team and why we should be optimistic. Call posters out when you think they're being too negative and cynical. The thing is however, you sound young, and if the avatar is a current picture of you, you are young. You have no right in your 20s or 30s to lecture someone who is in their 40s, 50s, 60s or older who has been a Jets fan longer than you've been alive. There has been much more negative with this team than positive. At least I got to see our lone SB win. Many Jets fans didn't get to see that game, and they've known little but futility. They have adopted that sense of cynicism and negativity as a self-defense mechanism after being disappointed, frustrated, and seeing their hopes crushed over and over again. The positivity has been literally beaten out of them. Hopefully, we do have a golden age of Jets football on the horizon, and it will help many Jets fans let go of their cynicism and distrust. That may take some time however. There's an old saying that helps explain what's going on..."Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

I despise the NY media but they are who they are. In general, there is a sense of snarkiness, negativity, and cynicism in the NYC area. It goes with the territory, however. If you wanna live there, you have to learn how to deal with it. If you can't, then for you own peace of mind, you need to move somewhere else. Life is too short. All the negativity and cynicism here at TGG drives me crazy too, but I can understand it to some extent. I've been a fan of the Jets for 55 years. When it gets too much for me, I take a break.

No one is a "scumbag" for booing a player or sports team. They paid their hard-earned money to go to games, and they deserve to see a good team and good play. They're fed up with incompetent hires, coaching, and play on the field. If they don't like the level of effort, play, competence, etc., then they feel they've earned the right to boo. In the case of old man Hess and the Johnsons, perhaps booing has been the only thing that led them to make necessary changes.

Sadly, the media has changed. Whereas sportswriters used to cover for the players on a team, now they look for opportunities to expose their mistakes, human frailties, misconduct etc. to make a name for themselves and to sell papers. I wrote a sportswrite at the Daily News back in the '80s and complained about his constant negativity and editorializing. I told him his job was to present facts and cover the game, that we weren't interested in his opinion. He responded and said he was only doing what he was taught in journalism school and what his Editor (boss) demanded that he do. These days it's only worse because so few people buy and read newspapers any more. If they read them at all, it's online, so now to get ad dollars, they need to get as many clicks as possible. Good news and positivity don't get clicks. Outrageous opinions, "hot takes" and being controversial is what gets clicks. I don't like it either, but it's not likely to change any time soon no matter how much we may despise it.

Hang in there.

9. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I don't know about that, DarkKnight...NC's opinion carries a lot of weight around here, so how are we to know whether or not it affected Sam in some way?! ;)

The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

All in all the Jets gave done a fantastic for year 1 of this rebuild. Wilson to Moore I hope is something we can really build on.

Year 2 will be incredibly important as well with all those picks coming down the pipe.

REVISion and K'OB like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

12. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I think next year wont be noticed much by the general NFL population. I am thinking we win 6-7 games a look a lot better but it wont make enough noise to change the Jets reputation yet. Some many still think of us as inept without knowing the changes that have been occurring underneath the surface.

I think 2022 will be the year we "shock" the NFL world and make a move into the playoffs.

#252 Quinnenthebeast, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    REVISion and Brook! like this.
  13. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

it has been a looong time since the future was this bright!

The Dark Knight and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

15. NCJetsfan

16. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I actually do agree with you since I hate when fans & media bully the ownership into making moves. This is when teams get into trouble. I feel teams should never listen to the fans during contract negotiations, who to sign, and for how long. I'm a Mets fan & I DM'd Steve Cohen on Twitter to tell him to WAIT to sign Lindor. There was no reason on earth for someone with billions of dollars to give out a 10 year contract right away. Ever heard the saying try before you buy? Well that was the case with Lindor. He could have waited until the end of the season since the money isn't going to change much, but no, he had to appease the impatient fans who wanted a new toy right away. So many SS will be free agents this offseason that it was monumentally stupid to sign Lindor for that amount of years.

The booing is a different story altogether. In some cases, I agree with you and in others, I don't. With the high prices of tickets, parking, concessions, and travel, fans are already pissed off before they even enter the stadium.

The media doesn't help either since they push these owners to give out ridiculous contracts.

17. The Dark Knight

Yeah, I agree. The future and this 2021 season itself. I hope the Jets sign a back-up QB and a starting CB soon because if so, I feel the team would be all set for the season.

18. NCJetsfan

I don't usually quote my own posts, but I'm a little surprised that more people haven't liked this post. When was the last time we had position coaches or Coordinators who were known for their ability to develop players under them? I get that many of you are taking a wait and see approach so that you won't be disappointed or fooled again, but come on, this is great news imo. How can you not get excited about this? This greatly increases the chances that whatever players JD adds to the team at these positions, the chances are very good that our CS will get the best out of them and get them playing at least at a solid, professional level, if not a topnotch level.

The Dark Knight, I'm glad that you liked it.

Brook! and The Dark Knight like this.
  19. The Dark Knight

Yeah, I love it. I also loved how the Jets drafting reflected that. I believe Robert Saleh and his defensive staff have so much confidence that they can take the defensive roster they already have and make it successful. That allowed Joe Douglas to focus on the offense with his key first 4 picks. It is a smart strategy that focuses on the whole team. In the past, the Jets would hire a defensive Head Coach, focus all on the defense, and the offense would suffer for it.

Brook!, NYGANGGREEN and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I liked it but forgot to hit the like button. Please forgive me!

NCJetsfan likes this.