Our 2021 Draft debacle

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, May 1, 2021.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Is high expectations a bad thing?

PJ4Ever and patleahy like this.
  2. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I also liked the strategy in the 5th and 6th rounds.

1 DT, 2 OLBs and 3 CBs. Throw them against the wall and see what sticks.

If you get 2 guys who make the roster and contribute in the next 2 years, it's a win.

REVISion and patleahy like this.
  3. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

..interesting to hear you say that the Bears got "raped" for several reasons...1-context matters, which you basically admit yourself when you say that it was "VIRTUALLY the same trade up" which obviously means that it was NOT the "same trade up" since two of the top 5 QBs were still available when Chicago traded up. This was obviously not the case when JD traded up, which meant that at that point, the "cost of trading up" had significantly decreased. and 2-you, along with Legler and MeanDean (both of whom's opinion I respect esp. as it relates to talent evaluation) have been telling us all along that Fields was one of the top 2 QBs in this draft (along with TL and ahead of Wilson and Lance and Jones), and that he is most likely destined to become an NFL Franchise QB for years to come. So, with that having been said, I hardly think that you can consider what the Bears gave up to snag this uber-talented Franchise QB to be comparable to "rape." They swapped 1st round picks with the Giants this year to move up to grab Fields. Beyond that, they traded their 1st round pick next year, a 5th Round pick this year and a 4th round pick in 2022. SO basically, they gave the Giants one first round pick next year, a 4th round pick and a 5th round pick. That is hardly "getting raped" for the opportunity to draft an elite, future franchise QB (which you had assured us Fields was and is) that can change the entire trajectory of your organization for years to come.

ESP when you consider the fact that teams (to Ouchy's point) had been offering up to 3-4 First Round choices for the opportunity to move up to grab either TL or Wilson, what Pace and the Bears paid to grab Fields (whom you have stated multiple times is the best QB of the draft) is a mere pittance, hardly a "rape." lol.

#43 patleahy, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Footballgod214, ouchy and westiedog1 like this.
  4. patleahy

Legler, I am not disagreeing with ouchy regarding his expectations. I have high expectations as well.

legler82 likes this.
  5. GreenfiendNYJ

GreenfiendNYJ Active Member

One thing I see from JD that I like is focus. This draft and off season (as well as his press conferences) have declared that he is set on building up the trenches as well as setting up Saleh for success. "Can't play this game without a QB?" Check got ya covered. "My defense needs a competent front 4 and guys that can cover" say no more fam! It's way to early to call it a success, but it feels like he's at least got a blueprint and isn't just taking what he can get and cross his fingers.

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You surely know why I flagged this thread, you know after my dogging in the other thread for disagreeing with a poster's opinion on how shit JD is.

Ouchy voiced his opinion and is being slaughtered for it (rightly so imo lol) hence me saying you will love this thread to royal-tea.

You know I wasn't a Wilson fan, but it is what it is, everything that can possibly be said has already been said on that subject, let him throw a ball in green before slating the draft as the worst thing ever (not you particularly, belly lies, ouchy etc) stating things as fact when those facts are not proven is just mental.

PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This seems to be the first time since early in the Rex/Tannebaum years that our FO and coaching staff are one cohesive unit.

8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I stopped right when it said "after"

ukjetsfan likes this.
  9. patleahy

I disagree with Ouchy's take on our draft....BUT I will say, that he does have his moments. I think he keeps everyone on their toes with his takes. ;)

K'OB and westiedog1 like this.
  10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't make that assumption at all. You may indeed know better than JD. Years ago I posted often that Maccagnan's tank strategy was wrong. So who was right, me or Mac? JD is paid to win football games plain and simple. If he and Saleh (I don't assume JD makes these picks on his own) feel Wilson is the best choice for him to keep his job, then I'm going to root like hell for him and Wilson to be successful even if I might not agree with his choices. However, that doesn't mean you or I or even @ouchy might not be proven right down the road.

Wahoo likes this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Everyone knows your stance @ouchy, and it makes sense, but if Wilson becomes the star that Joe Douglas expects you can throw it out the window. It is the risk he was willing to take. We will see if it pays off.

PJ4Ever, patleahy and ouchy like this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Another post that is acting like I made up a draft, even though it all took place as I posted.

Lets simplify it.

If we would have taken the niners offer we would have had our choice of Fields/Jones, and got two extra 1sts and a 3rd. Its not a stretch to ask if Wilson is 2 firsts and a 3rd better then Fields or Jones.

Perhaps you weren't here during the pre draft debates. The biggest argument for not trading the pick was that it would cost too much future capital to not take a QB at 2 while we had the chance. That proved to be wildly incorrect and backwards.

13. patleahy

I am not sure everyone does know ouchy's stance on this topic. I think there is a lot of confusion out there as to whether or not he likes his draft, or whether he would have preferred to trade back for a massive haul of draft picks. Ouchy, can you please clarify your stance? I enjoy reading your posts, but I really think you need to be more forceful and clear regarding your opinion. Don't be shy...;)

14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I wasn't going to get involved but...

they wanted Wilson, that ends that discussion right there.

It makes the bolded-in-green part irrelevant, from what JD/Saleh have intimated is that they only really had eyes for Wilson all along.

They will bring success or get sacked on that decision at the end of the day.

Do you not find it a little worrying that to systems that are going to be run the same or very similar both passed on the same 2 QB's and both of them would have taken Wilson?

I am gutted that Lance went to the 9ers but it is no use crying over spilt milk, what is done is done.

PJ4Ever and patleahy like this.
  15. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

And if you take the logarithmic expression of the second pick and take the radius of the circle of the pick we would have gotten. Jeez, I got a headache with all that math. We had a great draft and I am happy ihe picks so did a majority of the board.

patleahy likes this.
  16. patleahy

u liked Lance, K'OB??!

17. patleahy

You lost me at "logarithmic", york61....I cheated my way through every math class I took from Geometry to pre-calculus....:( but I know how to add, subtract, multiply AND DO long division! ;)

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh it was hyperbolic given that the same amount of spots were moved up. Douglas didn't give up as much as the Bears did, which is a good thing.

The Bears did what they needed to do which is find a better potential quarterback than what they have on the roster.

ouchy likes this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Trading for a QB and guard isn't the same thing.

The Bears traded a 1st, 4th, and 5th to take Fields.
    The Niners traded two extra 1sts to take Trey Lance.
    We turned our back on 2 extra firsts and a 3rd, to take Wilson.

If you think the Bears got raped then the Niners and Jets took an even bigger chance.

Regarding our trade up, has there ever been a non blue chip guard prospect that garnered two 3rds in a trade up? I don't know, but paying picks 14, 66, and 86 for one is very expensive. Going into the draft he was not a projected future all pro. Maybe he will be, and I understand that he was "their" guy, but this goes back to locking in on players. This early in our rebuild its too soon to lock in on players.

JD says he wants to build through the draft yet we sacrifice 4 firsts and 3 thirds on 2 players. That's 7 high picks for 2 players.

#59 ouchy, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    patleahy likes this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I get it. Wilson was our choice and I will root for him.

However, it doesn't end the discussion. It will be discussed continually for years. If you don't want to discuss it now, then don't.