A Quick Breakdown of the 2021 Draft Class

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, May 1, 2021.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Just a quick breakdown why they were chosen and what role they will fill in my opinion:

1. Zach Wilson: As the franchise QB, this is obvious in a lot of ways but he will be heavily used in roll out situations, with a lot of play action. The rushing attack will take a lot of the pressure off of him.

1. Alijah Vera-Tucker: Vera-Tucker will likely play Left Guard, with a left-prominant rushing attack behind he and Becton. Heavy doses of succesful rushes to the left will open up a lot of space on the back side for Wilson to roll right and strike.

2. Elijah Moore: Moore will be a major component of the offense. He will likely line up primarily in the slot, and while he will run routes out of the slot, he will also motion into bunch and stack formations, as well as run jet sweep style plays. He is so versatile that the only thing we probably won’t see him do much is block.

4. Michael Carter: Carter has the speed and vision to be succesful in the wide zone rushing scheme. He also has the receiving skills to be utilized in play action designed passes. Expect to see a lot of reverses featuring Carter and Moore.

5. Jamien Sherwood: Sherwood will probably be tried out in camp with roles as Will and Big Nickel. He could end up as full time Will but my guess is he will be more of a Nickel LB player.

5. Michael Carter II: Carter will compete for starting Nickel Corner with Guidry.

5. Jason Pinnock: Pinnock will be CB depth and play special teams.

6. Hamsah Nasirildeen: Nasirildeen is a swing on a player who could hit big. Finding the best use of his skills and athletecism might be Will, if he can put a little weight on. It would not surprise me if that ends up being his role. It will be all about his development.

6. Brandin Echols: Echols will likely be a special teamer and compete for Dime CB.

6. Jonathan Marshall: Marshall is interesting because of his role at Arkansas. He was primarily asked to eat double teams, but flashed at times when able to play a more attacking style. With the depth at the position, he will be a 3rd string at best but could develop by his 3rd or 4th year to a rotational player.

Because of Moore, I suspect that the Jets will run a variation of the Shanahan system that will feature a lot more 11 personel than San Francisco. They have almost all of the pieces in place for the system to work effectively. Defensively, work still needs to be done. I expect the defense to take a major step forward in 2022, and may be just ok in 2021.

#1 MaximusD163, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
  2. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Solid breakdown MaximusD.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well summarized!

matt robinson 17 and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

the 2nd and 4th rnd picks reallly made me smle...

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Nice summation and hopefully the Jets are ready to take flight at long last.

NCJetsfan and MaximusD163 like this.
  6. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

The Jonathan Marshall draft pick probably means that the organization is prepared to lose Foley Fatukasi (another 6th round gem) after the 2021 season.
    I hate when that happens. We strike gold in the 6th round only to lose the guy after 4 years.

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

That would be a disappointment, he is getting towards being a very good player.

8. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Well done Max. That helps me especially don’t know the end end of the draft.

I supposed too the Jets will land couple of UDFA to the roster. I like Yeboah.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  9. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Just to confirm, Saleh has already said that they view both Nasirildeen and Sherwood filling more of a LB type role than as DBs.

Not like that is a surprise as most knew they are both in the box players, but it has already come from the horses mouth for those that question why we are drafting multiple safeties with Maye in the fold and most likely getting resigned.

#9 Section 336, May 2, 2021
    K'OB likes this.
  10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Funny I was coming to do this and you already broke it down wonderfully!

Red Menace and MaximusD163 like this.
  11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily, the skill set to play NT is exactly what Marshall did rather unimpressively at Arkansas. The 6th round swing is more because of his freakish athletic testing, suited better for 3 Tech. I don’t think they’ll have the same role at all.

Also, no one picked at 207th Overall means a very good player is out the door.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You could be right, but I hope not. I'm not so sure about that, either. Based on what I've read, they like Fatukasi a lot. I think it could mean the end for Shepherd. and Marshal and Fatukasi will rotate, unless Shepherd has a big year.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent job, Max. Thanks!

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Great job, I believe Carter is going to have a lot of success in this zone scheme, he gets to hole and hits the hole fast and also has incredible ability to change direction.

With regards to the defense, I’m going to go out on a limb and say they will be better than we expect. My reason for this is because when they played under Williams, he played a lot of man to man and it put our secondary at a disadvantage as Jets didn’t have personnel to play that style.

When Jets transitioned to a cover 2 and kept everything in front of them under interim DC they played much better as the front four switched to a pass rush front as opposed to a read and react.

This new scheme will allow front four from beginning of season to be in attack mode and not expose a weak secondary in man coverage all the time.

I also expect Bryce Hall to make a jump in his development as a CB and if he can stay healthy he will be day one starter.

#14 Red Menace, May 2, 2021
  15. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

love the point about Bryce making a jump this season....I hope so too!

NCJetsfan likes this.