Our 2021 Draft debacle

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, May 1, 2021.

1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Ouchy sticks to his guns and believes what he believes, Bickety. Kinda like Legler. You gotta give him that.

ouchy likes this.
  2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Nobody knows what the future holds with this draft class, but it looks a lot more promising in what a "shit show" that was going on the past 2 years under Gase. It's time to move on and support our new coach and new players.

Also, all those unrealistic scenarios by the "OP", is mind numbing.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

In fairness, it isn't accurate to suggest these are unrealistic scenarios. All of them played out in real life. We rejected the niners trade and they went and gave 3 firsts to the dolphins. The Bears did trade up from 20. The Jets did trade up from 23-16. The eagles did try to get our second pick. This evaluation is based on actual events. The only made up scenario is our trade up from 20-16. The rest are all paths that were real and we didn't take. Because we locked in on #2.

People think criticizing the process means I'm criticizing the players. That's not whats happening at all. My post was addressing a misstep in our rebuild. IMO a big one.

#23 ouchy, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I just don't change, or even think about, my avatar much.

patleahy likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

[​IMG]

Have fun pal but I'm out as it won't end well imo

legler82 and cval like this.
  6. K'OB

7. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

I'm up too early this thread hasn't taken off yet, be back later today...

patleahy likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Until we hit the Playoffs (at the very least) it's gonna be " woulda coulda shoulda" from Ouchy

I disagree with the dire predictions and scenarios but as a long suffering Fan I get him

Who wants to stay a Jet Fan if one of the best GMs in NFL shits the bed with his first 2 drafts especially this last one which rocket launched our bottom feeder Offense??..

This better work

#28 NYJetsO12, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    ouchy, westiedog1 and patleahy like this.
  9. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

This looks so much fun!! I want to try:

OK, so 2018 instead of trading we coulda stayed at 6 and actually traded back with the Bills. We move back to pick 12, 53, and 56

Then we take Buffalo’#65 to move back from 12 to #22 where we pick Lamar Jackson

We then take our #53 and our 5th round pick and trade up in the second round to move to 32 where we pick Nick Chubb

At 37 we trade up a couple spots with a 5th and take Darius Leonard

I will add add more later

REVISion, JackBower, MDJets and 3 others like this.
  10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This draft most likely netted us four starters - all on offense. Three have all pro bowl potential, including hopefully a new franchise QB. Not sure what else anyone wants.

We still have 2 firsts and 2 seconds next year.

NYGANGGREEN, Jets79, BudJet and 6 others like this.
  11. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

This post it utter trash. The Jets were moving on from Sam, I like Sam and wanted it to work for him here but that was not going to happen. If JD and the organization is sold on Wilson as the guy, you do not sacrifice or risk settling for a different QB just to get more picks.
    If you do not think having Becton, Vera Tucker protecting Wilson’s left side and having Mims and Moore the throw to and a fast back like Carter out of the backfield had not revamped this offense you have a screw loose.

Quality is more important than Quantity.

12. K'OB

They want it all Lon, they want it all and who doesn't?

;)

patleahy and Lon Chaney like this.
  13. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

lol Ouchy already has "simply making the playoffs" covered NYJetsO12, as I believe part of his criticism is that, AT BEST, this poor rebuild by JD might lead to a "10-6 type record, wildcard berth and quick exit", so I don't think Ouchy is going to be satisfied with the results unless Zach and the Jets become one of the best teams in the NFL for an extended stretch of time, including multiple division titles and, at the very least conference championship game appearances.

NYJetsO12 and Noam like this.
  14. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Quite simply, if management believes ZW is our FQB, you stay put and take him.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh. I mean I wasn't a fan of the trade, but Douglas did a good job in not getting raped like the Bears did for virtually the same trade up. Two thirds (one trade back really) isn't a whole lot of value.

The only reason I didn't like it is because this draft was deep at guard, receiver, tackle and edge which are all our weaknesses. I felt we could've gotten a good IOL at a couple different spots in the draft.

I think calling it a debacle is an overstatement. He wanted his guy and went up and got him. Let's hope this works out.

As far as Wilson goes - we'll see what happens. I expect a heavy game manager role this year while he gets acclimated to world outside of Provo and the pressures of needing to be a franchise savior. Year two will be the year where he needs to become the player he was drafted to be.

16. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

What number would you have given Lamar Jackson? Maybe I ll use that for my avatar.

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Same 2 that passed on Mahomes.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Honestly, for the sake of variety, we can’t have every thread about how great our direction QB, draft, CS &/or FO is. And this is coming from a guy who at the very least is hopeful of the CS & FO. No one is forcing anyone to click on thread links. It’s easily avoidable.

19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I mentioned this yesterday, but I really think that with all the uncertainty of this college football season, Douglas identified exactly who he wanted and got them. I would have been contempt staying put, but I'm fine with the move up also. If AVT is as good as advertised, no one will care about the traded picks.

NYGANGGREEN, Jets79 and Fiftynine like this.
  20. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

We all know that a draft can’t be truly evaluated until 2-3 seasons later. Calling this draft a debacle may be a little hyperbolic, but the OP makes some valid points, and as he pointed out he didn’t “make up” these scenarios; they were all deals that were actually offered to JD. The bottom line is this: if Wilson indeed can perform at a high level then JD was right. If it turns out Fields and/or Jones is better, then the OP will be proven right. I myself have a lot of trepidation about Wilson, but I’m going to believe that JD knows better than me. Which, of course, is always a risky assumption where the Jets are involved.

Jets79, ouchy and westiedog1 like this.