Expert Grades and Reviews of Jets Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by patleahy, May 1, 2021.

1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

....I will post some "overall class reviews/critiques" from the usual suspects (nfl.com, cbs sports, yahoo sports. espn, pff, legler illustrated, etc.) tomorrow once all of those outlets publish their draft reviews for the Jets 2021 Draft Class. The first review posted below is from CBS Sports. It is their quick review and grade given to each Jets draft selection. Each selection is followed by a snippet summing up why they graded it like they did.

2. Jets: Zach Wilson, QB, BYU
    Grade: B+
    I like him as a player, and think he will have success in the NFL, but I would have taken Justin Fields in this spot. Fields will be a better NFL quarterback.

14. Jets: Alijah Vera-Tucker, OL, USC
    They need to build the offensive line in front Zach Wilson. With Tucker, who can play guard or right tackle, they add to the promising Mehki Becton from last year. Great move by Joe Douglas to go get him.

34. Jets: Elijah Moore, WR, Ole Miss
    Grade: A
    Love this selection for the Jets. My comparison for Moore was ironically rocket-fueled Jamison Crowder. Sudden. Deceptively fast downfield. Catches everything thrown his way. Smart to build around Zach Wilson with a dynamic weapon.

107. Jets, Michael Carter, RB, UNC
    The best running back available. With Carter, Jets are getting someone on the Gio Bernard/James White spectrum. Small, sudden scat back with good receiving ability in the screen game. Adds some nice juice to New York's backfield.

146. Jets, Jamien Sherwood, S, Auburn
    Grade: C+
    Long, big hitter at the safety spot. More linebacker/run stuffer than coverage type though.

154. Jets, Michael Carter II, S, Duke
    Grade: C
    Another Michael Carter pick for the Jets! This is a safety, cornerback hybrid with serious burst and ball production in college. A little off the draft radar but not a bad selection.

186. Jets, Hamsah Nasirildeen, FSU, S
    Grade: B
    Fits the mold of the modern-day SS/LB hybrid. Just wish I saw more urgency and play-making ability on film. Plays the run well, especially when he can tap into his range. Developmental type in coverage at this stage.

200. Jets, Brandin Echols, CB, Kentucky
    Grade: B
    Coverage sharpness isn't there quite yet, but he exploded at the Kentucky pro day with freaky figures, and they show on the field. Jets keep pumping more defensive backs into that secondary, which makes sense since their secondary was atrocious.

207. Jets, Jonathan Marsall, DT, Arkansas
    Grade: A-
    One of my favorite disruptive nose tackles. Has burst, sustained speed and some hand work to win on more than just first and second downs. He'll contribute early for the Jets, which is EXCELLENT value for the Jets at this point in the draft. Overall, a great draft for Joe Douglas and the Jets.

#1 patleahy, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Noam, nycarl, barfolomew and 3 others like this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ok Thanks..CBS Sports needs their head examined Fields over Wilson really? Where's the fit?

The rest is also asinine..Wilson Tucker Carter and Moore are solid A needs the Jets wanted/ needed to Upgrade the Offense

Jets79, BudJet, blackssmagic and 4 others like this.
  3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

CBS seemed to like the Jets draft ...but disagree with the Fields remark.

Jets79, Noam and patleahy like this.
  4. patleahy

lol I loved this draft, NYJetsO12 and I agree with you, since I was one of Zach's biggest and earliest supporters....but in all fairness to the Draft Experts at CBS, they loved the Tucker Carter and Moore selections. They gave all of them either a B+ or an A....so it's not like they knocked them or anything, lol!

#4 patleahy, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021
    BacktoQueens, Noam and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. patleahy

yes they did Mr. Jet80...overall they were very complimentary of Joe Douglas...a lot of A's and B+'s in their grades for JD for this draft.

barfolomew likes this.
  6. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

The media was a lot higher on Fields than the NFL. We will see who is right.

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Pete Crisco sucks diseased donkey dong..... so any of his "analysis" isnt worth shit. The fact that he's considered an "expert" is one of the world's greatest mysteries

8. patleahy

[QUOTE="stinkyB, post: 4083609, member: 47"]Pete Crisco sucks diseased donkey dong..... so any of his "analysis" isnt worth shit. The fact that he's considered an "expert" is one of the world's greatest mysteries[/QUOTE]

stinkyB does not hold back. :eek::eek::eek:

Noam likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree, and I don't mean to nitpick, but think his name is Pete Prisco.

Noam and patleahy like this.
  10. patleahy

but u do have to admit, NC, he did like our draft and give it high grades, so it's not like he blasted it or anything!

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't say anything about his grades. I was only responding to stinkyB what Prisco's real name is.

Now that you mention it, I disagree that he liked the draft that much. It's no reflection on you, but I don't like Prisco. I think he's a hack. Most of the picks he gave were Bs. That is an ok grade, but isn't really a good grade imo. Those were great picks, great value, and filled huge needs. Every one of those through Carter should have been an A purely in terms of the draft, in the quality of players taken, where they were taken, and how they fit the scheme and need for the Jets. Overall, I don't like the media giving draft grades. I think it's dumb. For the most part, we won't know for 2-3 years how the pick of those players should be graded.

12. patleahy

Fair enough, NC. Fair enough....but at least Prisco liked the Jets draft more than Ouchy did! :);)

13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yeah grading the draft a mere couple hours after it ended is kind of ridiculous ...... we really can’t even properly grade last year’s draft yet.

SOJAZ, dmw, cval and 1 other person like this.
  14. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

CBS once graded my fantasy draft a D+ and I proceeded to kick everyone’s ass, so there’s that.

15. patleahy

Pro Football Focus Gives our Class an "A" rating and has this to say:

NEW YORK JETS
    R1 (2): QB Zach Wilson, BYU
    R1 (14): iOL Alijah Vera-Tucker, USC
    R2 (34): WR Elijah Moore, Ole Miss
    R4 (107): RB Michael Carter, North Carolina
    R5 (146): S Jamien Sherwood, Auburn
    R5 (154): CB Michael Carter II, Duke
    R5 (175): CB Jason Pinnock, Pittsburgh
    R6 (186): S Hamsah Nasirildeen, Florida State
    R6 (200): CB Brandin Echols, Kentucky
    R6 (207): DI Jonathan Marshall, Arkansas

Day 1: One year ago, no one could have foreseen Zach Wilson being the second overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. But here we are. The BYU quarterback had a breakout 2020 campaign that saw his PFF grade shoot up from 80.5 as a freshman and 76.2 as a sophomore in 2018 and 2019, respectively, to a stunning 95.4 mark.

The Jets have thrown a lot of resources at their offensive line already, but they haven’t come close to completing the rebuild yet. And they were smart to acknowledge that with another first-round pick. Trading up to make it happen harms the grade on this pick, but Vera-Tucker is an excellent player, ranking 21st on PFF’s Big Board. He was an excellent tackle at USC, earning an 89.2 PFF pass-blocking grade on true pass sets last year. He could potentially play right tackle or guard for the Jets.

Day 2: The New York Jets take Elijah Moore, who ranked 22nd on the PFF Big Board heading into the draft. Moore is a prototypical super-slot receiver. His floor will likely allow the Jets to replace Jamison Crowder for a lot less money, and his ceiling is an ability to succeed on the outside in a similar manner to other small receivers, such as Tyler Lockett and Doug Baldwin in Seattle. Moore helps revamp New York’s receiving corps for new quarterback Zach Wilson.

Day 3: Instead of reaching for a running back on Days 1 or 2, the Jets addressed the position in the proper way by waiting until Day 3 to take Michael Carter here at Pick 107. He’s an incredibly small player, but his cuts, balance and overall athleticism helped him put up monster numbers. Since 2018, Carter ranks second to only former teammate Javonte Williams among FBS running backs in percentage of runs picking up a 10-plus yard gain (21%). In 2020, Carter joined Alabama’s Najee Harris as the only back to rank inside the top 10 in both rushing and receiving grades.

Draft Grade: A

ColoradoContrails and barfolomew like this.
  16. DuhesSeaOfMud

DuhesSeaOfMud Member

First 4 picks are straight A’s. Best Jets draft in years.

17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's dumb early. Very early to be making this optimistic comment I'm about to make..

..but

This draft has the potential to be franchise altering In the same terms of our 2000 draft was for this franchise. That was probably the last great draft we have had.

A lot still needs to happen for that to be a true statement, obviously, but, I'm very optimistic overall about this draft.

I'm worried about the QB. If he pans out though, these other offensive pieces contribute In the ways I believe they will, I think JD dominated this one.

18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Not a complaint, but how many members of this draft class are smaller than the average player at that position?

19. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

The entire draft was small, not just our picks. It was like the cast of Time Bandits had just graduated.

Noam and twown like this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

A bit tight those ratings, the Wilson pick for instance is low because the guy liked Fields, so he is showing a marked bias.

B+ for the best guard in the draft, a great move, so why not an A?

#20 K'OB, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    ColoradoContrails and Pepsiguy5 like this.