2021 NFL Draft - Day 3 poll

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Petrozza, May 1, 2021.

?

What grade would you give the Jets for their Day 3 selections?

1. A

10.3%
  2. B

44.8%
  3. C

34.5%
  4. D

10.3%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

#107 - Michael Carter, RB, North Carolina
    #146 - Jamien Sherwood, S, Auburn
    #154 - Michael Carter II, S, Duke
    #175 - Jason Pinnock, CB, Pittsburgh
    #186 - Hamsah Nasirildeen, S, Florida State
    #200 - Brandin Echols, CB, Kentucky
    #207 - Jonathan Marshall, DT, Arkansas

2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Meh. Lots of movable CB/LB/S chess pieces for Saleh (and warm ST bodies if they don’t work out.)

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Well, we certainly addressed positions of need.

Love the RB Carter pick. Don't know much about the other guys tbh but it seems we targeted great athletes in the later rounds which I support.

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12 and Lon Chaney like this.
  4. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I give it a B. Like the RB Carter pick and the guy from Florida State sounds intriguing. Frankly don't know enough about the other picks (and what we passed on) to have a strong opinion one way or the other.

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Carter (the RB) and Hamsah were nice picks but 2/6 gets a D in my book.

6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

This was extremely one sided. I gave it a B. I would have rather picked another IOL instead of all these Defensive Backs.

7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

3rd day was a whole lot of nobodies this year.

I like that we went after a bunch of coverage hybrid defensive backs. One of them should hit.

Not really much to see anywhere across the league.

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

As stated in my my pervious Post the later rounds have the lowest odds of getting true starters. The RB Carter however sounds like a steal imo...so overall Grade B for these day 3 picks

For all the rest , including all the CBs , I am trusting that he and Saleh knew what they wanted but most of these guys wont be that good anyway.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

If we get two starters that's A+

Can't grade lottery tickets that people think they know.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

and great leaders on their teams.

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I love the Carter pick. I like the Sherwood and Nasirildeen picks too. I had taken each of them in some mock drafts after doing a little research on them. I'm disappointed not to get Brevin Jordan and Javian Hawkins or Demetric Felton, but it's not like we really needed any more RBS or WRs. I think we may could have used Jordan, but I'll trust JD.

I LOVE that Saleh committed to building offense first and that they took a lot of DBs later. Hopefully, one or two of them will work out as decent LB depth at a minimum, one of them will work out as a SS or SS depth, and we get some good STs contributors from that group if nothing else.

I give this a strong B on the virtue of the Carter pick, Saleh's commitment to building the offense and settling for some late D picks (I wonder how Ulbrich feels). If any of them stick and make contributions on STs, then it becomes a B+, and if we wind up getting a starter or two or a couple of depth and solid ST player out of it, then it becomes an A- or A.

Can't wait to see who we sign as UDFA. Hopefully, we sign Bushman and Hawkins at a minimum, but truly would love to sign Snowden, Moses, and Felton too.

It will be interesting to see whether the Jets trade Crowder or keep him. It will also be interesting to see whether they re-sign Poole and/or sign S. Nelson, or maybe KJ Wright or K.Alexander.

12. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I gave this an A.

I love his strategy getting our FQB protection and weapons with the early round picks and shoring up the D with the lottery tickets in the latter rounds. Odds say 2 or 3 should become contributors. Carter was my #1 RB and picked him end of the 3rd every chance I got.

I wasn’t expecting big names to be available in the 5,6, and 7th rounds so I’m not going to downgrade him from the A he deserves.

themorey and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It’s a B from me. Carter, Sherwood, and the Hamsah picks are A. As a biased UK fan, I also like the Echols pick because he tested off the charts at our pro day but is obviously undersized so I expect him to be used in a slot-exclusive role. The rest are useful dart throws at a major position of need. Hopefully we get 1 to pan out and if we get 2, look out.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I won’t give it a grade cause that’s just about the dumbest thing to do the day after the draft.

I will say this is one of the better drafts I can remember from the Jets. They had a clear plan and executed it to perfection with some luck of course.

The most promising part to me is two gold. One was seeing how excited Saleh was about drafting offense early and often, it tells me he won’t be the same old defensive HC that the Jets seem to always hire. Two was JD having a clear vision to find his QB and then support his QB which is obviously a drastic change from how Darnold was handled.

We are coming out of the draft with Wilson & AVT instant starters as well as Moore and Carter I getting immediate playing time in packages. Also wouldn’t be suprised if Carter II competes for slot CB time and one of the hybrid LBs for WLB time.

I came out of the draft optimistic and excited which has been a long time since I’ve had those feelings for the Jets. Don’t know how anyone could complain about this weekend.

15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I like the Carter pick but I would have preferred to stay at 23 and draft either Najee Harris or Travis Etienne. Drafting a Guard in the first round no matter how good he is, and moving up no less, doesn't make any sense to me when you have other needs. That need could have been addressed further down the draft and we would still have our two 3rd rounders. I thought our defensive backfield played fairly well last year given the lack of a pass rush, so I don't understand the need to draft 5 DBs. MLB is a big need and there was no attempt to address that. I don't blame them for not going after EDGE because you're probably not going to get a decent one this late in the draft anyway. Day 3 grade for me is: C

16. NCJetsfan

Great post!

Attackett likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

It makes sense because JD wants to protect our rookie QB and not make the same mistake that Mac made with Sam. There's nothing difficult to understand about that. Drafting a RB that early would have been foolish. It would have been a luxury we couldn't afford. IMO your shows a basic lack of knowledge about the offensive and blocking scheme the Jets will be using, and the caliber of player that Lewis and Van Roten are, or what we could have taken at OG later in the draft..

KingRoach likes this.
  18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Regarding the bold - guards are about middle of the pack in positional importance and guard was arguably our weakest position. Combine that with the fact that we have a rookie QB to protect and I think the AVT pick made a lot of sense.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

He is a guard who was asked to play LT this year, I guess because that's the best guy they had on the line. However, the scouting reports I read said he was not that great at pass blocking (maybe a round 3 grade) but very good at run blocking (a definite round 1 grade.) It's not what I would have done, but I hope it works out.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I think too much emphasis is put on positional importance (at least among non-QBs) over elite level talent. We've seen championship-caliber teams built several different ways, but one thing they have in common is several blue chip/pro bowl caliber players on both sides of the ball.

Obviously it remains to be seen if AVT is a blue chip talent, but at least based on draft ratings he appears to be. For comparisons sake, ESPN/Scouts Inc. had him with a 91 rating and since 2015, the only other interior lineman with a higher grade was Nelson at 95.

NCJetsfan likes this.