Welcome to the Jets Zach Wilson - Round 1 pick 2nd Overall

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 29, 2021.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Loved Beningo, hated Francesa.

2. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I'm sold on Wilson's football talent, but I'm worried about his ability to capture the locker room and lead/inspire. He seems to me like a big fish in a small pond in that regard from the live interviews I've seen of him - Utah/BYU is a lot different from an NFL locker room. That clip above definitely made me laugh, but it also made me wonder just how he's going to handle 52 grown ass men from all different walks of life. Hopefully he hits the ground running and his play does all the necessary talking as he transitions into being a professional.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Carlton is an unsophisticated moron. That was a pathetic, stupid and insulting question. Welcome to the NY shit media kid.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why would there be a controversy? What am I missing? Wilson is obviously the future, and if Foles started it would be because Wilson isn't ready to start and they don't want to throw him to the wolves. It would be clear that as soon as Wilson is ready to start, he will, and Foles will take a seat. So where does the controversy come in? Do you think Jets fans would rather Foles remain the starter over Wilson? I'm confused.

patleahy likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Brooks Bollinger can only dream of playing as well as Minshew has.

6. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

welcome Zach -- was about time for a new avatar anyway

abyzmul likes this.
  7. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Foles is a bona fide Super Bowl Champion, NC!!! he has more Lombardi Trophies than Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly COMBINED ....AND he has just as many as Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers have won! ;)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He'll be able to command the locker room when his voice changes.

legler82, NCJetsfan and Snatch Catch like this.
  9. bicketybam

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's the power of the stache

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This was the nature of the Walter Football criticism that everybody determined was wrong as if it was a fabricated deep personal attack from a bitter writer. The ability to lead as a somewhat childish and introverted personality is a big question mark. It's why no one liked Geno.

But, if you perform, leadership can usually speak for itself.

twown and Snatch Catch like this.
  12. bicketybam

I'm going to give the kid the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. Just because he looks young doesn't necessarily mean he's "childish" but time will tell.

REVISion likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Childish might be the wrong term that seems more degrading than it's cut out to be. Immature and unprepared for being slapped in the face with the weight of the tri-state area on your shoulders might be a better way to categorize it. There hasn't been this much buzz around this team since Rex and Sanchez parted ways and the team started to crumble in 2012.

Support and success mitigates a lot of pressure. I expect he will be a game manager year one to the fullest extent so that he cannot be blamed.

Forget competition, he's never faced meaningful expectations like he will next year. Even if the expectations aren't particularly high for this team, the expectations for the second quarterback taken in a class that saw five go in the top 15 are immense.

That's much different then being underdogs in Pac-12 road games and hoping to pull off the upset.

I hope it works out of course. Because all indications are that the franchise finally has the right people, structure and leadership to catapult us forward from being the worst franchise of the decade.

14. bicketybam

I think it's a tall order for any 21 year old QB to come to a NY franchise and instantly command the locker room. I don't think Darnold ever did and he was here 3 years. Like you said, play on the field goes a long way.

At first I gave Sam a lot of credit for shouldering the blame when he played poorly. I love accountability. But that only goes so far. After the upteenth time, teammates start thinking "Great, you took the blame....as you should. Now fucking play better."

It will all come down to how he plays. If he plays great, no one will give a shit that he looks like he's 16.

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I thought Mike Nugent was the smallest pro football player I ever saw.

abyzmul likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

17. bicketybam

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

That’s what I want to hear

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

dope kicks but he’s gotta let those breathe ... he’s got them tied like he’s about to run the 40

20. Odessa83

Odessa83 Member

Hopefully they let Zach sit for a year . You know if they throw him out there and he does rookie things. You will have dumb Jets fans booing him and saying how we should release , how they will no longer be fans . The usually dumb Jet fan bs . Unfortunately we cannot muzzle these idiots and throw them in the closet . Hopefully rational , patient fans will shut them up if they do their bs .

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.