Joe Douglas screwed up by trading up

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Apr 30, 2021.

1. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I understand the sentiment of the grumble. #14 is high for a guard, throw in the two thirds for the trade and that becomes a very steep price. These aren't throw away picks. Now if he turns into a great player then its a great move. If he turns into an above average starter then it's passable. Anything less and it is a bad one, especially if someone sitting there with the picks JD traded turns into a superstar. It really all depends on how good AVT turns out to be. For the moment I trust JD and his process.

ouchy and chandler like this.
  2. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I think a lot of Jets fans have forgotten how god fucking awful the Guard position has been, and how it was significantly worse than the Tackle position.

It is not like Vera Tucker was projected to be there at 23, we didn’t overpay and we did not reach to pull a player higher than he should have been.

People say we gave up 3 players, well we got a potential stud in a position of need and another draft pick.
    I teach Math and can tell you that equates to giving up 1 pick (player) not 3.

Andy_M, papapump, hobgoblin and 8 others like this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Darrisaw is a left tackle who we have no need of

Davis Mills is a QB who we have no need of

Wyatt Davis is a RG that dropped like a stone, why did he drop like a stone? Maybe he just isn't as good as we thought (and I did want him originally)

I am happy enough with AVT and we will see if the Vikings are happy with Darrisaw and Davis.

Brook! likes this.
  4. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

What happens if JD drafts a pro bowler with the 4th we got back in the trade?

K'OB likes this.
  5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Lmao

This fan based really is fucked in the head.

RPOZ51, Vahncase, jonnyd and 3 others like this.
  6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The talent level diffference in this draft between a 3rd rounder and 4th rounder is minimal.

We gave up 1 pick to draft a pro bowl potential talent at our biggest position of need. Let me repeat that, a team with 22 picks in two years gave up 1 pick to ensure filling our biggest need with an elite talent which also helps our prized QB selection. I won’t even mention that just a couple picks before the Bears gave up 3 picks including a future 1st to move up the same amount that JD gave up one pick to move up. Whoops just mentioned it.

JD killed the first two days, if he kills the 3rd day as much as he did days 1 & 2 the Jets will break there playoff drought sooner rather than later.

7. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

Joe has identified the player he wants in each pick of this draft so far. In this case he's traded up to get his man. The value is in getting the player he wants and not settling for a sub-optimal selection at the draft position. He could have stayed at #23 and picked up Darrisaw but he wanted Vera-Tucker and went out to get him.

Can't some of you see that this is fucking light years away from the ineptitude to which we've become accustomed.

I love every pick so far. We are battering this draft. Keep going Joe. You're batting a thousand.

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Did you know Wyatt Davis is now considered a backup guard?

Davis Mills is a project, similar to Morgan(Jets QB), Darrisaw is going to play LT for Vikings, he’s a natural fit there.

Your complaint is that you wanted 3 more players, 2 that were not going to start, and needed a lot of work to develop and a player who plays a position Jets did not need to address?

Jets got the best Guard in the draft, he is good at run blocking and pass protection.

A quality plug and play player is always better than guys who have to sit for a year and develop.

I’m finally happy that Jets are taking talented players that can come in from day one and make an impact, it’s what the draft should be for first two rounds.

No more relying on projects to build a team!

9. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

The probability that AVT actually was the best OL prospect available at 14 is low. Wyatt Davis could very well become the better pro picked at 86.

ouchy likes this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This is so wrong it's not even funny

12. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Not sure how I'd project AVT and Davis going forward and Davis could indeed be the best in a few years time but as they stand right now then AVT was the #1 at that position.

JD got a Day 1 starter at a position of need to help protect the QB we're all betting on.

13. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Chicken little OP

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I understand the gripe. Anyone who suggested to trade down and build a team foundation was shouted down with claims of the number of draft picks the Jets had to build a team around a QB taken at 2.

Joe went and turned 3 of those picks into one player so the guy better turn into an elite player or we sacrificed some opportunities to improve the team and that whole rationale that we had enough picks to build around the rookie is a pile of shit.

15. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

If I told you before the draft you could have:

Alijah Vera Tucker or Christian Darrisaw, Paulson Adebo, and Wyatt Davis which would you choose?

16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You have to use one pick to actually select the player. And we got a 4th back. We net lost one pick to get the best guard in the draft.

RPOZ51, KingRoach, cval and 1 other person like this.
  17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

* one pick

K'OB likes this.
  18. K'OB

I'd be overjoyed mate, absolutely overjoyed and if he takes one of Carter, Gainwell or Jordan and he may well do exactly that.

GreenWhiteandGold likes this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's the wrong direction for quality of opportunity and he isn't the best anything until he starts playing games on Sunday.

20. K'OB

[​IMG]

cval and Red Menace like this.