Welcome to the Jets Alijah Vera-Tucker - OL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 29, 2021.

1. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

Nick Mangold was picked at 29 in the first round. So please don't tell me you can't find value at 23. If we would have picked Humphrey Mcgovern could have been move over to guard and we would have solved two positions with 1 trade. And we would have kept our 3's. Also OL players have the highest hit rate of any position player so I think everyone believes that Jenkins, Darrisaw or Humphrey would stick around.

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

By who? By all accounts AVT was the best guard in the draft and guard was maybe our single biggest need. I understand not loving the trade up but AVT was going to be gone by 23. It's a great pick imo.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

AVT is a tweener at tackle but not at guard where he'll be playing for us.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He can still take one of those at #34 so how does that play out in your mind?

He likely can make a small trade back and still grab one of them, Jags dependent for Jenkins, of course.

We needed a guard he took a guard, a brilliant move, hopefully, it means we won't see our QB scurrying about getting sacked and seeing ghosts by Xmas.

5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Hope so.. I just feel he isn’t mean enough to play guard.. and not big enough to play tackle

6. K'OB

Who the fuck is Humphrey Mcgovern?

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  7. Rockinz

If he trades back and lands one of them it will soften the blow but I’m not a fan of AVT at all.. too soft for a OL in my books... but if he trades back at least and lands Tyson Campbell, Asante Samuel, Elijah Moore/Tevin Jenkins/Jalen Mayfield/Creed Humphrey/ Landon Dickerson I’ll feel a bit better

8. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

who's afraid of a Humphrey...

9. K'OB

I'd bet a Geoffrey might be

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't know if you value my opinion at all, but I liked Vera-Tucker a lot and was really hoping he would be the pick at #23. Fills the left guard spot perfectly next to Becton. McGovern is a solid center, so now the Jets just need to focus on the right side of the line. They can do that in the 2022 draft, or maybe even this one. Fant is fine at right tackle for 2021. My worry is still right guard.

11. K'OB

I have to say you have hidden it well, nobody would ever have guessed.

Here is PFN's view of him
    Positives
    Two-year starter who was used at both guard and left tackle. Fast-rising offensive lineman coming off a tremendous campaign. Plays with good pad level, stays square and consistently gets leverage on opponents. Keeps his feet moving, displays better-than-average footwork off the edge, and rides pass rushers from their angles of attack. Works his hands, blocks with a nasty attitude and attacks assignments. Blocks down well on opponents despite his lack of height. Patient, does not overextend into blocks and displays outstanding awareness.

Negatives
    Better run blocker than pass protector. Does not finish blocks in pass protection. Short for the left tackle position. Occasionally pushed back into the pocket.

The fact of the matter is he will only be an LT if Becton is injured and it is a Guard he will lock down the left side with Becton and let Wilson actually be a QB, something Darnold never got a chance to do.

I seen people say you don't like due to college allegiance, I never seen you confirm or deny it, so is it true then?

#191 K'OB, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    Brook! likes this.
  12. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Nice move by JD! JD is a real pro. The Jet's football operation is in good hands for a change.

NCJetsfan, K'OB and Brook! like this.
  13. Rockinz

I’m not going to lie it does bother me he’s from USC but before we took him I made a thread on “plenty of Hog Molly’s” and I did say I felt he was a bust in the making.

14. Rockinz

I do value your opinion. A lot more than most on here. It does help you like him but man I don’t at all... I hope I’m dead wrong...

The Dark Knight likes this.
  15. K'OB

You're talking to an English guy, I have no idea which college rivals another and frankly I find it odd that you carry this on through your whole lives tbh.

Maybe because I didn't go to university, in the UK those kind of people that keep the connection are oiks and can be found in entertainment and politics, not really the preserve of the working class man tbh.

We will all just have to see how he gets on and as long as he isn't like off-field OJ I'm sure he will do just fine ;)

Rockinz likes this.
  16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Rockinz

I want you to be dead right on one thing and dead wrong on another.

Jets future truly relies on that.

If you are right about Wilson and wrong about Tucker, we have our salvation.

If it is the other way around, we are fucked.

NCJetsfan and Rockinz like this.
  17. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

O LINE O LINE O LINE. One of the things I’ve learned watching 55 years of football is that you can have superstars at every skill position but if your O line sucks you ain’t winning. And the Jets O line sucks. The Jets should be drafting and signing every effing O lineman the think is worth a shit, especially since it seems they are again planning to start a rookie qb. I don’t mind trading picks if we are getting top O line prospects back, and it seems this kid is one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i am not good at evaluating college talent, so this is just based on other observations

if JD can't pick OL then we have a bigger problem than this pick, since that's supposedly JD's strength and passion. So i am net positive for that reason because i think he demonstrated last year some skill there

My main hesitation(s) with USC is: Keyshawn, Sanchez, Darnold, Chuma, that RB i forget the name of (nuff said). we have not been good at identifying gems from this school

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

joe mcknight?

keyshawn wasn't a great pick at 1OA but he did have a solid career. did good for us and we traded him for a 1st which became john abraham who was good for us for a few years, we didn't have to pay him then traded him for a 1st which became mangold who was a lifelong jet and anchored our o-line as a top center in the NFL for a decade. all in all the keyshawn pick wasn't bad. it turned into 2 years of good WR play, 4 years of good pass rushing play, and 10 years of top C play. we got 16 years out of that pick and only had to shell out money once to magold who deserved every penny and more.

sanchez was a bust shit happens. darnold got fucked over hard by the jets

the rest were mid round picks and weren't expected to be pro bowlers or anything. chuma has been a solid back up, mcknight had his moments

ouchy likes this.
  20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

McCagnan ignored the oline....FIRE HIM!!!

Douglas traded up for the best oline prospect in the draft.....FIRE HIM!!!

LOL only here.

Jets79, Borat, Red Menace and 2 others like this.