Welcome to the Jets Alijah Vera-Tucker - OL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 29, 2021.

1. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Bears gave up a first round pick next year to move up 9 spots. Jets moved up 9 spots and gave up 2 3rd rounders, one of them being a late 3rd rounder, to get a top G and give the new QB more protection. Looks good to me, I like the JD plan so far, giving the new QB help, something the Jets failed to do with Sam.

NYJalltheway, K'OB, papapump and 3 others like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

For those that bemoan using the two thirds to grab a top first round talent in an area of desperate need we must be reminded that last year we were bemoaning JD for trading down and not grabbing key talent in the top rounds. I think he saw the value and pulled the trigger, stealing him from the Raiders that were ready to jump on him. Paying the going price for a trade up with a slight premium.. If he keeps Wilson safe next to Becton he is worth his weight in gold as far as I'm concerned.

3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Good reminder about Clarke. He's an unknown to us, but who knows if he might actually be able to compete and start at OG.
    Plus they just signed Feeney (probably as depth, but I'm sure will have a chance to start) and have GVR and Alex Lewis (for now).
    Maybe they do pass on OL and go for JOK

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The people bemoaning the trade think you need 15 draft picks a year to build a team

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I like that we took a lineman, don't like the price. This guy is not rated to be an all pro yet we spent picks 14, 66, and 87 on him. I hope he becomes a great player because we spent great player value on him.

Those saying "we switched a 3rd for a 4th" haven't really looked at the trade that closely. Dropping out of the third round is a massive drop because of all the comp picks. We gave up the Seahawks pick, 87 overall. We got back the Viking comp pick, which is the last comp pick of the 4th round (pick 39 of the 4th round). There are also 10 comp picks at the end of the 3rd round. That's 19 comp picks between what we had and what we traded. Thus we swapped pick 87 for pick 144, a drop of 57 spaces.

Saying we only swapped a 3rd for a 4th is a tactic to make it seem like a better deal. There is a huge drop in talent between picks 87 and 144. And obviously 66 was a pretty prime pick as well. The two players we could have gotten in the 3rd would have been promising picks. Saying we gave up two 3rds is correct, and the token we got back doesn't smooth it out that much. Now we gotta hope it pans out.

Rockinz likes this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Teamates
    Agree completely. There is a new coaching staff that will do whatever they can to put everyone in a position to excel. The best will take the lead, no matter if you are a rookie or a vet. Long overdue.

#166 LAJet, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I did calm down a bit But I still hate this pick... I felt out of the top 10 OL prospects in the draft he had the biggest chance to bust because he’s a tweener.. I also have been mind fucked by the Jets taking USC players in the first round and now we traded up for one with both our 3rds.. I got dozens of texts last night from people in the football know pouring gas on the fire too.. JD better know what he’s doing because I feel this was a terrible move when Jenkins was sitting there for us at 23. He would look like a genius if he took a CB/RB/Edge at 23 and then waited for Jenkins/Humphrey at 34.. now I’m not sure wtf to do

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

jets rated him as a top 10 player in the draft. we got our QB and shored up the left side our o-line for and still have pick 34 plus 5 more picks on day 3

No Fly Zone likes this.
  9. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Eveything I read about the guy translates into a solid pick and IMHO worth the trade. Also, knowing JD, he'll probably trade down for more picks
    PS. I am vey happy with the pick.

Jets79 likes this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its draft weekend so were celebrating the upside and ignoring the downside - just like the Sam trade up that draft.

We gotta be at least a little realistic. People are telling themselves what they want to hear, like he wouldn't have been there at 23. We don't know that. Or that he for sure is better then what we would have gotten at 23.

Being top 10 on JDs board doesn't equal he's going to be great. JD also ranked Becton ahead of Wirfs.

I get liking that JD got who he wanted. But giving up both 3rds is not something to ignore or celebrate. In a sense we reached on this pick.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Last year we were bemoaning JD for trading down instead of picking at our spot. Not that he should have traded up.

LAJet likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we do know that. raiders were gonna draft him at 17

Ptflea2 and REVISion like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Exceptions don't make the rule.

14. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I like the pick. I meant physically punishing-finishing blocks - getting to the 2nd level and putting guys on their back. He’s a good prospect, despite his USC lineage... but he’s not the physical phenom road grader Becton has a chance of being. Tevin Jenkins is a lot nastier... that’s all I meant.

15. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

There is no guarantee any of the 3rd round picks are contributors much less day 1 starters for the next decade. This solidifies the left side of the line for a long time (barring injuries). Teams that have that kind of length and a shiny new QB to go with that line are teams that can compete regularly for playoffs or more. The last time they had any duration on the line was D'Brick and Mangold. I'll take a solid line for a decade over any 3rd round "potential" rotation guy or "potential" eventual starter.

Sam ran for his life nearly every play and never developed properly. That's not happening this time, they did it right, protect your new QB and let him develop. Next year they have a ton of picks and can fill out the roster even more. This is way better than the garbage on this team the last decade.

The last Jets home playoff game was the 2002 season !!! I'd like to attend at least one more while I'm still around.

#175 No Fly Zone, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well I agree the cost was steep...no two ways about it. And especially considering it’s a trade up for a guard...not exactly a premium position.

that being said, it was one of our biggest areas of need (along with CB I guess), and everything I’m seeing is very positive about the player. Guard is not a top position, but for US, it is huge. Especially with a rookie QB.

I’m ecstatic that in only two drafts, JD has drafted as many OL as Mac did in five years....and higher picks. Mac ignored OL for so long...we knew it was going to take huge investment to fix. The Cowboys did the same, when they went first round OL in consecutive years, and it worked for them. Here’s hoping this works for us as well.

I get we have holes and there is definitely a Quantity vs Quality approach to consider, but having a GREAT player is better than having a couple of ok players

I think we are in a good spot now...lots of options with that 2nd round pick....take Jenkins, take JOK, take a CB, trade down to recoup a third....can’t wait!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. We gave up draft capitol by not trading the #2 and then trade our 3's? With so many holes this is the same shit Sam was in. We could have gotten Jenkins, Humphrey or Darirsaw.

Rockinz likes this.
  18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Watched tape on him for the first time last night and this was my exact read. His feet are seemingly never out of place and he doesn't get pushed back but he doesn't maul guys into the ground either.

Borat likes this.
  19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

And JD would of looked like a genius if he took a playmaker at 23 and would be sitting pretty with either Humphrey or Jenkins at 34

20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Currently, it is more like 20 ;):D:D:D

NCJetsfan likes this.