JD is on the clock too...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I was not a Wilson guy but the fact we likely could've made the trade with the 49ers (as reported) and still gotten Fields or maybe even Wilson is rough..... They're all in on Wilson gotta hope they're right.
    I think Wilson COULD be great but I think he needs to be eased into his NFL transition and that won't happen here.

LAJet, azhar80 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  2. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

If they could have got to 2, they draft Wilson.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Jedi mind tricks

I'm not sure about that but I'm fine if they did. We would have 3 1st rd picks next year and still could have picked between Lance, Fields, and Jones

4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

There were articles posted on this forum about what it took for JD to finally take the job.

I’m sure you can find them if you google them.

NCJetsfan and Stevied like this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Out of interest what are you insinuating exactly?

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

That he was smart not to want the job in the first place, and Gase pushing for him to be hired mean JD is not a reflection of Gase incompetence.

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  7. K'OB

That makes sense lol

I read it wrong tbh it sounded like you were saying he was drafting like he didn't care lol which I thought was an odd take from you, that is why I asked ;)

It is hard to tell amongst all the lunacy on here sometimes :D

Red Menace likes this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I preferred Wilson to Fields....I see Fields as a great athlete playing the QB position as opposed to being a natural great QB. For whatever reason, Ohio State has NEVER produced a great NFL QB. Literally there’s not a single one in the modern game. Mike freaking Tomszack is the best one. Let that sink in. Obviously it doesn’t mean that Fields won’t be the first, but there is clearly SOMETHING in the DNA of that school ... don’t know why but they just don’t know how to produce NFL level QBs.

not that BYU is such a great QB factory either, but Wilson feels to me like a QB who is also a good athlete...kind of the reverse of how I see Fields.

We’ll see how it goes, as the Bears, very much like us, don’t have a history of developing great QBs either, so it’ll be interesting to see how they do

Trey Lance is interesting, and even more so that the 49ers picked him over Fields.

Mac Jones as well....not the greatest physical athletic gifts, and very much a product of that stacked Alabama team....another school that hasn’t produced very many good QBs since Namath. He may be better than the Greg McElroys and AJ McCarrons of the world, and he’s going to the perfect team for him, so he will also be interesting to watch...I wasn’t buying the third overall for him just because at that spot, you need to be blue chip level talent I think, and while his intangibles are great, it’s hard to quantify them

9. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Well so far JD, IMHO, has nailed it in this draft. Happy now lets finish this and get a CB, LB ...

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

But the Jets are loaded with talent as evidenced by their 2-14 record last year. They didn't need those 3rd round picks to flesh out the roster plus there would be no good OL left at #23 and the Jets were smart enough to know that AVT would not fail under any circumstances.

The trade up destroyed any faith that I had that JD was better than his predecessors. Now I think he is in many ways just like them.

ouchy likes this.
  11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I hope not man I really do.. I hope he just had a hard on for AVT and has a plan to fill all the massive holes we have at RG/RB/CB/CB nickel/DE/LB/TE/K and if his plan is to fill those spots with 4/5/6 rounders then he better have an excellent eye for talent.

REVISion likes this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

After draft weekend when the buzz dies down reality will set in.

13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

We need a lot more than that LOL

ouchy likes this.
  14. K'OB

Do you really think he was filling all of those needs in this draft, regardless that he has traded ONE pick away, just ONE solitary pick?

I would be delighted if he filled half the needs, picking 4,5 or 6 players out of this draft and them sticking and then doing so again next year two more firsts and two 2seconds to come next year, this is how a team is built for the long term, something this team hasn't done for an awfully long time.

Fancy an OL guy having a 'hard on' for the top guard in the draft, a position of great need and still with the chance to draft the centre or RT that people are crying over not drafting at #34

#394 K'OB, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    KY Jets Fan, NCJetsfan and Rockinz like this.
  15. Jedi mind tricks

I'm not there yet but my confidence is def shaken a bit the way he has handled last years draft and round 1 this year.
    But when it comes down to it while he's made decisions I don't agree with or I wouldn't have made (Zach Wilson, trade up this year, trade down last year, Morgan, Perine, only drafting 1 WR, taking Ashtyn Davis over WRs available) can't call them mistakes yet. If he's right about the guys he wanted then it won't matter if I agreed with his decisions.

16. Jedi mind tricks

If that's the philosophy he should've traded #2 and we would have had 3 1s next year, 2 1s this year, 3 3s this year, + more

17. K'OB

Why if they loved the QB in this draft, that is the point, they blatantly loved Wilson's tape and have been dead set on him for a long time.

Do you not think we have enough picks already in the bag to move us along, this year and then the next, and of course whatever then happens in years 3 and 4 of the JD/Saleh years.

I'd love it if he nailed every draft pick from here to 2023 but that isn't going to happen, I am certainly not stupid enough to expect every pick to be pro bowl either, some people on here do not seem to employ this attitude.

Did you want him to gain picks this year to then only trade back up for a QB next season or are you under the impression that keeping Sam would have meant that a QB wouldn't have been required in 2022?

NCJetsfan and GreenWhiteandGold like this.
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Cmon guys ...JD could have turned this whole Franchise around with those 2 picks yesterday

And it may be my mouth to Gods ear.. but our GM gets a solid A imo

19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Ok...so we have criticisms on last years trade downs, now we have criticisms on this year’s trade up...too funny

everyone is allowed to have their opinions of course, but reading all these threads is funny...it’s like man you definitely can’t please everyone!

For me, I think last years draft was about a B/B+, and while I do think we paid a steep price to move up I am happy with the pick...filled one of our biggest needs with the best player at the position, and glad we are finally addressing OL with Becton and now AVT

so far so good for me

K'OB likes this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

JD has done more for Zach than any Jet GM ever did for Sam. Elijah Moore just might be exactly what this Jet team needs. First 3 picks all offense. I guess there's a lot to be said for being the GM's pick instead of being a holdover from a prior unsuccessful regime. All we need now is some help on the right side of the OL and perhaps one burner on the outside to keep the defense honest and this team will be light years ahead of 2020.