Why all the hate about Wilson's size and bashing from analysts?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsFan, Apr 30, 2021.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

He's too small, doesn't weigh enough, not as fast, a one year wonder...

1 Trevor Lawrence 6-5.5, 213 4.80 JR Clemson
    2 Zach Wilson 6-2, 214 4.75 JR Brigham Young
    3 Trey Lance 6-3.5, 224 4.75 RSO North Dakota State
    4 Justin Fields 6-3, 228 4.44 JR Ohio State
    5 Mac Jones 6-2.5, 217 4.75 JR Alabama

He may be barely the shortest of the top five, but he isn't the lightest. Wilson at 3-1/2" shorter than Lawrence weights the same if not slightly more, but I never heard anyone call Lawrence skinny or too thin.

Wilson is muscle and virtually the same size as Jones who has a gut and looks out of shape, but no one bashes him for being small. Most think Jones needs to loose weight.

The same can be said when they talk about Lance and his speed, but Wilson and Jones ran just as fast in the 40.

It seems their was way too much Wilson bashing, and way too much love for Lance. The numbers show Jones and Wilson were the most accurate QB last season, while Lance was horrible is his only outing completing only 50% of his passes against a lesser team. Lance was a one year wonder too (as was Jones), but his year was two season's ago, and we all know one college QB prospect can go from great to never was in one season.

Note: Many sites like sports-reference.com and sportingnews.com etc., mysteriously leave out Lance's game last October where he completed only 15 of 30 for 149 yards and yes he through an interception. Even Google lies and only shows his 2019 season stats but says it's his career college stats.

Trey Lance college stats at NDSU - WRONG!
    • Completion percentage: 66.9 (192 completions on 287 attempts)
    • Passing yards: 2,786.
    • Passing yards per attempt: 9.7.
    • Passing TDs: 28 (to zero interceptions)
    • College passer rating: 180.6.

Hey, I admit I was wanting Lawrence all season, but after watching a lot of film and getting use to the idea of Wilson, I think he has the biggest upside of the top five drafted. Everyone expects greatness from Lawrence and anything less will be a let down.

All in all I'm very happy with Wilson and all in with the pick. I'll be buying his jersey when I can get it, and I'll be hoping we aren't looking for another QB in 3 years.

2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Wilson will receive more bad press cos JETS

3. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's the way the New York media and other pundits work. Before the draft,, they beat the drum for the Jets to pick Wilson. Now, that the Jets have done that, they'll spend their time writing about what a big mistake the Jets made.

HomeoftheJets, Brook! and Red Menace like this.
  4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The beautiful thing about sports is that the remedy to criticism and perceived disrespect is simple and unambiguous. Just ball out and all that shit goes away.

themorey, AJW, Mogriffjr and 4 others like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, it's all about clicks and eyeballs. Whatever story/slant gets them the most traffic is the one they go with

Second, they always try to do CYA, so they can point back after the fact and "show" how right they were, regardless of what happens. If the Jets do Jets and fail to protect and support Wilson like every other QB they've had, and he fails, they can say "See? He was too small, too fragile, a one year wonder!". If the Jets finally do what they should've done for every QB and Wilson achieves/exceeds expectations, they can say "See? the kid has that WOW! factor! Douglas was smart to take him!".

Third, I think there's a bit of "make up call" by the media for feeling guilty about contributing to Fields's drop.

One thing is for sure, the media is not ever your friend.

Seneca, Leicester Jet, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That's how it was always going to be.

QB Fever is easy to milk for hits both ways and just about everybody is going to do that.

The answer is not to take the dicey prospect so high in the draft in the first place but all the pull is to do that and so the Jets just fell right into the blender there.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The media loves the Jets because they are so easy to twist and bend with the plot lines. They hate the Jets because the Jets never provide normal content, e.g. just winning and giving the media and fans something positive to talk about.

Being a Jets reporter is like reporting on a high profile cathouse next door. Lots of salacious details but you never get to be in the room where all the action is and in truth you don't even know for sure anything is going down because nothing positive ever happens in public.

Wahoo and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Did people really think Wilson wasn't being overhyped to make for interesting conversations?

Wilson is who he was in January. Hype didn't make him better.

AJW, legler82 and Br4d like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good thing he was great in January then!

JetsFan, REVISion and bicketybam like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Maybe, just maybe, it's being analyzed because it's a legitimate concerns.

A lot of folks have stayed in their echo chambers the past month and a half, but there are a fair amount of sports media personalities who weren't completely sold on Wilson for A, B or C reason.

Brook!, legler82 and Br4d like this.
  11. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

This is the best damn Jets metaphor I’ve ever seen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

A lot of them weren't sold but acted like they were because it got a lot of people to watch them.

What the media wasn't saying is they might like Wilson, but there is no way he is worth the second pick overall. That was the part of the conversation that most left out.

Wahoo, Jonathan_Vilma and legler82 like this.
  13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Echo chamber? Like the same 3 people here jerking each other off about how great Fields was despite all indications in the real world that he'd drop because actual NFL teams didn't see it?

14. Jonathan_Vilma

I listen to Keyshawn, Zubin and JWill every morning and they, along with a lot of their guests over the past month or so weren't as energetic as the Chris Simms' of the world were about Wilson.

Wilson as a second round pick made a lot of sense. Small town kid who never personally left his own bubble, going to New York after a magical season against G5 competition. His production was gaudy and perhaps one of the best against G5 competition in a long time. But he's not the first lower competition quarterbacks to put up ridiculous numbers that can throw deep rainbows.

With that being said, the market dictates a players price and the market seemed to be screaming top 5 pick.

I'll root like hell for him. He seems like a good kid although a bit introverted and may or may not be a good leader - we'll see on that front. And he's happy to be a Jet so that's pretty refreshing. I just hope his flags don't rear their head and the game doesn't speed him up into bad decisions as he makes a massive jump in competition as the likely day one starter.

You're right too - the media jumps on board based on what they think will happen. All indications were that Wilson was going second so he needs to be talked about like he's worthy of the selection.

Brook! likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

There's no need to turn it into a pissing contest as that wasn't the intent. The whole argument of Wilson versus Fields and the pettiness stemmed from the constant confirmation bias of a select few talking heads to use as a basis for validating ones opinion. But while you're at it, the jerking off of Chris Simms' and some other media heads as projection Gods was nauseating.

Fields fell to 11 and garnered a multiple pick trade up to get him. It's not like he fell off the face of the earth into the end of the second which is what it felt like was being said in a hyperbolic manner.

16. REVISion

No pissing contest. Just funny to hear you talk about echo chambers without realizing you've been in a tiny one with regards to Fields for months.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Yet I've never used media talking heads to validate my own opinion.

The echo chamber I'm referring to is the constant confirmation bias used to say "SEE CHRIS SIMMS AND FRIENDS AGREE WITH ME SO I MUST BE RIGHT" stuff while simultaneously planting the flag of victory of having the correct opinion based on that.

Perhaps echo chamber is the wrong term. Draft picks get three years in my eyes, so the victory flag can't really be planted yet just because the selection prediction came to fruition.

18. REVISion

Yeah echo chamber makes no sense with what you're referring to.

Remember all the debates we had about how high or low NFL teams were on Fields? There's ignoring the talking heads and then there's ignoring blatant realities because they go against your bias. That's what Fields fans have been doing the last several months, all while accusing Wilson fans of doing the same.

Sorry, I'm a sore winner.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Well I don't think we'll know about what a large body of NFL teams think about certain prospects. There will be some leaks like the Saints wanting Mahomes and what not.

One team passed on Wilson and ten (eleven really) passed on Fields. This isn't all too different from two teams passing on Trubisky and ten passing on Mahomes though. That aspect of this is frightening.

legler82 likes this.
  20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Echo chamber is the right term.