Defense or Offense

Discussion in 'Draft' started by york61, Apr 29, 2021.

1. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see which side of the ball gets the most attention. A lot of critics are saying Newsome or Farley at 23. My gut is telling me JD will take a RT. I would prefer them taking Humphry which would allow Mcgovern to move over to guard and solve two positions. Saleh is a defensive minded coach so I can see him wanting to get a CB and edge rusher. I'm of the believe we should just load up on offensive positions. I can't remember who said it on this board but "our offense is as boring as watching to old people fuck" which I believe summed up the Jets offense perfectly.

With so many needs it is just going to be a challenge to address both sides of the ball completely. And this is why I thought maybe holding on to Sam would be a smart move. By having so many picks with trading our #1 we could finally assemble a team where QBs would want to go.

ouchy likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If they're taking a QB at 2 they better overload on that side of the ball because nobody available there is going to carry the Jets his first couple of seasons.

AJW, Brook!, NoodleArm and 1 other person like this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Gotta heavily address offense imo. It's one thing to be a bad team but the Jets have been a bad AND boring team for as long as I can remember. I'm tired of trotting out offenses that look like they're playing in the 50's.

AJW, Brook!, Br4d and 3 others like this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I agree with the rest. If we take Wilson we gotta do him a solid and try and get him help right away.

AJW likes this.
  5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Heavy offense. If the right guys are there, OL at 23 and 34.

KWJetsFan likes this.
  6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

It has to be offense. The offensive side of the ball has been neglected by this franchise for far too long. It's a QB-driven league. We're taking a QB at two, now get him some help so he can take us where we all want to go.

REVISion likes this.
  7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Offense. I said this in another thread but I’ll repeat it here. I know we have holes at CB and LB but there are still plenty of viable CB options in FA that can hold the fort down for a year and there are plenty of mid-late round LB prospects that have potential to develop into capable starters with Saleh’s tutelage.

Out of 23, 34, 66, and 86, I want 3 of those to go towards offense. WR, OL, RB, TE, idc. Give Zach enough support around him so that he has a legit chance to succeed.

JetFanInPA and REVISion like this.
  8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Franchise QB at 2 and franchise RB at 23

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's not that bad, they mostly look like they're in their late 30's and early 40's... :)

REVISion likes this.
  10. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Totally agree, we need offensive fire power, but our DB situation is pretty unproven/poor. I wouldn't be surprised if its a DB at 23 if not a move up for a big fatty oline man.

11. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I agree - this draft needs to tilt offense especially OL. I anticipate JD will be going OL at 23 assuming his guy is there. I also think JD may attempt to trade up a few spots for his preferred OL.

However that being said, if a trade falls through and his preferred OL is off the board at 23 I believe he will go defense rather than a RB/WR. CB will be preferred over EDGE based on where the specific player is ranked on his board. In other words if the CBs he likes at that spot are gone he’ll consider EDGE players. If 23 does go defense look for 34 to go OL ( the next tier ).

I would advise everyone ( and I’ve been guilty myself of this ) not to overreact negatively without considering the player over the position. This is a marathon not a sprint and Rome wasn’t built in a day. JD knows full well he can’t let Wilson down the same way Mac let Darnold down ...... I think he’s fully prepared for a productive draft.

azhar80, Imagesrdecieving and ouchy like this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

At 23, it depends on who's available. I'm not reaching for an OL or skill position player if a higher rated CB can be had. We have 8 picks after tonight to address the offense. All things equal, I'd go offense.

13. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Emotionally I agree with you but pragmatically we have too many holes all over the roster to not go BPA. Plus you can get WR's later in the draft (RB's too, to a degree).

14. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I'm onboard for this. QB, OL, and OL. Go CB after those 3 picks.

15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I’d be happy with an entire draft without a defensive pick.

ColoradoContrails, abyzmul and Brook! like this.
  16. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Boom !!!! I called it :)

azhar80 and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  17. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

Got to be offense screw the defense Saleh is a defensive guru he can figure it out for a year this draft got to be about Zach Wilson or he will end up another ruined QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

theres your fat guy

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

JD needs to trade back from 34 and acquire a high third round pick, there are still a lot of good football players left and he can’t go a whole round(3) without a selection.

Pick 34 is going to give us a good draft because it will give us another plug and play day one starter.

However, I think Joe can move back 5 spots, acquire a 3rd round pick as well, giving Jets an opportunity to get 4 day one starters for this year. I would go offense with 2nd round pick and defense with 3rd if he traded back .

MDJets likes this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's crazy that that is where we've gotten but yeah I feel a the same way.