Reminiscing over some of the Jets most baffling draft picks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Apr 27, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The whole situation could have been avoided by Herm Edwards growing a set of balls and not downing the ball out of range of a very average kicker.

2. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Oh I think he _was_ that bad. Even in his limited time on the field. For that matter he was almost always dressed, just not starting. So it's not even like he was significantly injured. Really, in three years he wasn't even close enough to a QB who fell down to just pick up a sack even by accident?

And in general I tend to believe what coaches show me in terms of playing time. I've always had trouble with people saying "play this guy, so you can see how he does" *cough* Tebow *cough*. Coaches have plenty of time to evaluate players in practice. If somebody isn't on the field on Sundays, there's a reason. The simplest answer is that he sucks on weekdays.

Jets79 and REVISion like this.
  3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I remember his first game and thinking he was the smallest professional football player I'd ever seen. Then he fell flat on his ass on his first attempt.

So Jets.

ouchy and westiedog1 like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I think it's a bit different at quarterback though I respect the point.

5. Odessa83

Odessa83 Member

You are an idiot.

6. Odessa83

Odessa83 Member

KOB is number 3, Chad Pennington is number 2.

7. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Roger Vick, Vernon Gholston and Kyle Brady to name a few.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I understand the thought process of "we were a kicker away from the SB" because we were a missed 47 yard FG away form going. with that said the whole draft was a disaster. we traded our 1st for a 2nd and a decent at best TE then used our 2 2nds on a CB that was only good as a returner and a kicker. basically 2 special teamers and decent TE with our 1st 2 picks. that's just awful.

here is the kicker of it. we were picking 23rd. oakland wasted the pick with a bust CB but the next pick was aaron rodgers at 24th overall. even if we weren't looking at QB here are a few others we could have taken with that pick WR roddy white (27) TE health miller (30) OG Logan rankins (32). behind justin miller was vincent jackson and frank gore. all those players would have helped a lot more then a kicker. maybe if we had more talent on offense we wouldn't have had to rely on a last second FG

K'OB and dmw like this.
  9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

He and the whole team had a horrible opening game in KC that year.....it was a sign of what the 2005 season was to bring...…...even the first game in Tennessee the following season Nugent had a horrible game although he did recover and have a pretty decent season. Definitely not worth a second round pick though....

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He was never awful for us (82% in his first three years), he just wasn't spectacular which is what a kicker needs to be to justify the first round selection.

There really is no way to defend it. If your kicker sucks, cut him and find another even as high as the fifth round.

The Jets biggest drafting issues of their entire history is falling in love with a particular skill set or style that is unique to very few talents and finding the next closest thing to it in a prospect even if it means reaching.

DeWayne Robertson - right after the Buccaneers SB win energized by Sapp as a 3T. The draft had five first round defensive tackles.

2015 free agency - trying to build the legion of boom east.

Your Nugent example.

There are more. The only time they got it right was when they looked at what the Steelers did in building an elite offensive line and Mangini emulated it. Outside of that the copycat formula has been a disaster.

legler82 likes this.
  11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Passing yards it is Kenny.

ps
    Not sure who you were calling an idiot btw but after 2 posts in 4 years I don't think you will be lasting long on here.

12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Welcome back junc

abyzmul likes this.
  13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

A day late and a dollar short is our motto. Rather than getting the brand names we prefer the knock offs.

14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Honestly I don’t want to see this today FFS

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Does that make Vinny #1?

16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

1) I guess the Jets were hoping for a guy who would be good for 2 or 3 TD returns a year, plus a consistent runback performance of 30-35 yards. This way the Jets offense would only have to gain 30-35 yards a possession in order to put up 3 points on Nugent's leg. That is how the Pats were getting a lot of their points.
    2) Jets should have ditched Pennington after his second year which would have made it possible for the Jets to draft Rodgers. Pennington's weak arm plagued the Jets for a decade before they finally got wise.
    3) I thought Pennington was awful that day and he was the main reason we lost. Jet defense kept the game close.

17. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

A lot of our more high profile whiffs are hindsight. I don't think many thought Blair Thomas was a bad pick at the time for example, or that we passed on a HOF'er with Emmitt Smith, it just worked out that way because...SOJ. Or who knew we drafted the one Alabama defensive player who couldn't play in the NFL (Dee Milliner)?

The (at least) three that stand out to me instantaneously where you KNEW they were bad at the time:

1) O'Brien over Marino
    2) Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp (especially when we just drafted a first-round TE a year or two before lol)
    3) Vernon Gholston

An underrated bad move was Parcells trading down instead of taking Orlando Pace and taking James Farrior instead, then never actually getting the most out of him before he found himself in Pittsburgh

jilozzo likes this.
  18. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I mean the pick sucked but in 1987 and through the 90's fullbacks were still a viable part of the offense from Rathman to Mike Alstott, among others. Sometimes tailbacks were still the complementary player.

jilozzo likes this.
  19. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Yup. And Sanchez is 34th but top 10 best.

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

1) that's an awful strategy if thats what we were thinking
    2-3) he was unlucky with injuries it happens. his arm wasn't great but it was good enough. the injuries made it too weak to play. even with that he still lasted 8 years in the NFL.

westiedog1 likes this.