PFF: Why It Might Be A Huge Mistake For Jets To Draft Zach Wilson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by IIMeanDeanII, Apr 27, 2021.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

These names: Marino, Rodgers & Mahomes. How lucky are we, huh?

IIMeanDeanII and ouchy like this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

What were your thoughts on Burrow last year?

dawinner127 likes this.
  3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

we should be so lucky.

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

perhaps....but this so called "rule" will never change.....

a slow wind up, delivery hitch, bad arm angle - these are killer traits for any QB, doesn't matter if he aces the wunderlich and can read belicheks defenses from a couch.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I was waiting for someone to mention the kid that set almost every single NCAA QB Records all while playing in the SEC. Oh, I forgot to mention he won the National Championship instead of getting beat by Coastal Carolina in the Pinecone Bowl. You will then bring up all the talent he had on LSU and I will say, while yes, he did play on an extremely talented team. I will then remind you that he played in the SEC against the most talented players in NCAA and steamrolled them.

Look, its not that I am against Wilson cause I will support the kid. He definitely wasn't my 1st choice though.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Was just asking a question. I feel like all of the criticisms you have of Wilson could have been said for Burrow as well. Point being, all these guys have question marks. Very rarely is there a guy that checks all the boxes, and sometimes even those guys don't pan out for one reason or another.

Whether we draft Wilson or go with Fields, it's all gonna come down to JD and co. to surround them with talent and coach them up/remove any question marks these guys have. Time will tell if they're up to that task.

blackssmagic and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. blackssmagic

Sorry, man...I wasnt trying to be a smart ass. Honestly as much as I will get torn apart for this I was more in the trade back and keep Sam. Despite having to pay his 5th year option I just felt like the kid got shafted. With our overall lack of talent and needs at almost every position we need as many high picks as we can get.

IIMeanDeanII and KY Jets Fan like this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

No worries man! I didn’t take your response personally. We all have different opinions which is what makes this message board so great.

I just think we’re all too fixated on who we should take at 2, as I’ve stated before I lean Wilson but think Fields would also be fantastic, and not on building around whoever we take at 2 which is probably more important IMO. I’m very excited to see how JD plays this weekend. Hopefully he sets us up with a strong foundation that we can continue to build on going forward.

NCJetsfan, REVISion and blackssmagic like this.
  9. blackssmagic

Spot on brother, if we didnt learn from the mistakes we made with Sam we are screwed. If they dont add a good ass guard, a legit running back, and another wideout over the next 2 years we are in the same exact spot all over again

KY Jets Fan, NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we have 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds this year and next. it'll be easy to add starters in all those positions. not to mention the free agent money we have to spend next off season. we have 35 guys signed for 2022. plus add in 10 more for this draft class and UDFAs that's 45. plus we have 11 picks next year. in short our roster is "full" with plenty of flexibility. were currently sitting at 72 million to spend in 2022. minus about 25 million for this years and next years rookie class that brings us to 47 million to spend. only big free agents are maye, crowder, herndon and JFM. JFM and herndon are playing for contracts next year. herndon has to bounce back and JFM has to prove he's an every down starter and legit pass rusher. maye is iffy because his age but hopefully we keep him. crowder is likely replaced by WRs drafted this year and next. GVR and griffin can be released for about 6.5 mil in savings. in short we'll have enough picks and money to address a lot. we just need to hit on our picks.

11. legler82

I know many of you are experiencing QB prospect debate fatigue but it warranted the vigorous debate that was had. Who we pick is just as important if not more important than who we surround them with. The latter is just a way to enhance or salvage the right or wrong choice.

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I probably misspoke(mistyped?) with my comment earlier. I meant in the context of the Wilson vs Fields debate.

I see them as equal prospects with Wilson getting the slight edge. Obviously we can’t just draft anyone so in that sense you are correct that who we take is more important than who we surround them with.

13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

You can make this same argument with just about anyone In the media or NFL scouting community on social media. This doesn't disprove or approve anything. It's food for thought. It's good to ask questions. Being blind and just dismissing things because It's the thing to do, Isn't ideal. IMO.

This was well thought out and breaks down a lot of things for us to look at and question. To dismiss It without any true reasoning Is just being dismissive. Not productive.

To each their own though.

I'll take someone who does research and actually breaks things down over someone who just wants to throw shit at the wall for click-bait.

14. GasedAndConfused

you never replied to comment to you about the coastal carolina game in the wilson is a mistake thread

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-thread-why-zach-wilson-is-exactly

Here's an excerpt:

16. GasedAndConfused

I love the part where he was good earning the starting job. compared to say baker who felt entitled to it and decided to transfer instead and not compete for his job. it was 1 thing I didn't like about baker.

in the NFL nobody is given anything. you have to earn your job all the time constantly.

17. legler82

Coach David Shaw on Wilson:

“2 things with Zach.

1. It’s just the wow factor...,

2. Discernment there times where he puts the ball maybe in a little bit of danger...”