Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I’m guessing it’s the play action, naked boots, roll outs, short rolls...etc. off the wide zone action not necessarily the throws themselves. BYU didn’t run the myriad of routes.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The offense the Jets will be running is NOT the WCO. Your basic premise is flawed.

https://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/defining-kyle-shanahans-offense/

Here's the salient quote from that article:

Following is the rest of the original article from which the above article was excerpted.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/sports/grant-cohn-defining-kyle-shanahans-offense/

3. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

interesting article NC, thanks. Also makes Shanahan out to be kind of an arrogant dick, which I didn't know he had a reputation for being.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

Simms' take is puzzling, but he's been wrong before, and most likely is wrong about Fields.

patleahy likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He really doesn't think Fields is a top prospect, that's all there is to it. I don't think this is for clicks, from the beginning he complained about his throwing motion, how it is hard to fix and will impact his accuracy if he has to play faster. I also disagree with him that Fields is not a top 10 guy, or even top 5, but it's not for clicks. He didn't think Sam was top guy either, and so far that looks correct. As long as he is right about the guy we pick, we'll be OK.

6. NCJetsfan

We disagree. I just don't think Simms is that type of guy. He doesn't come across as the type to just want clicks. I think he is very serious about wanting to be an NFL GM, so he tries to be as accurate and thorough as possible. He's a former NFL QB not some media hack. He isn't going to ruin his reputation to get a few clicks.

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I went back and watched again only looking at pressure. I get why you see it that way. it was clear the o-line couldn't block their d-line. the 1st quarter every throw was under pressure. after that it seemed less because they did a lot of 2 step instant throw plays, rolling pockets, and some trick pays, as well as some QB runs to try and slow down the rush. pretty smart play calling. but regardless he had 0 time to drop back and make throws that game. he wasn't sacked that much because his quick release and decision making and imrpov skills. a guy like fields woulda been sacked like 5+ times in that game. wilson was only sacked once and 1 other sack was when the ball slipped out of his hands and he jumped on top of it

8. JohnnyJet1222

JohnnyJet1222 Active Member

I know that we are not privy to everything that goes on the way teams evaluate the prospects and I know the teams have Q&A sessions with the QBs. Is it possible that Fields is not doing well in these and that's why he is dropping. Although he is not who I prefer he is very talented

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

it's a product of play design. they did a lot of 3-4 man routes. 2 outside deep routes and 2 in the middle with option routes and zachs job was to find the open man. sideline throws are harder and many teams on D flooded the inside to take away easy throws and make you throw deep against the sideline and zack did it to perfection

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. patleahy

well then he might want to check himself, because dropping Fields down to 32 is patently absurd, NC, and that is coming from a guy who is not a Fields supporter. To use a phrase that has been bandied about here recently, I am actually saying that even though I am not a fan of Simms (obviously), I think he is better than this...dropping Fields down to 32 either suggests that he has no idea what he is talking about or has something personal against Fields or is simply looking to garner the attention which he knows dropping Fields down that low will attract amongst the sea of draft analysts/qb gurus....bc there is simply now what this kid deserves to be ranked that low with his physical tools and potential. At the very least, dropping him that low is his attempt to adopt an intentionally extreme position bc he does not believe in him, and by adopting such an extreme position, he is banking on: A-Fields being a bust and B-being able to further burnish his QB expert bona fides in future years, by stating something akin to: "well, even though everyone had Fields dropping to a certain extent, if you recall, I never believed in him at all, hence my decision to drop him as low as I did, which was far lower than anyone else, and I think as we all see now, I was 100% correct, even though I took some heat at the time, for dropping Fields as low as I did, unlike any other analyst..." As Bickety would say, Simms is made of glass....I see right through him.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

patleahy likes this.
  12. patleahy

you are a fan of the old WCO, ouchy?

ouchy likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

I agree it sounds absurd but you just never know. to me fields is a mid 1st round talent QB. probably in the 15-20 range. but we all know QBs are overdrafted. wilson to me is a guy in the 8-12 range. but the other side is it's a deep QB class. looks like QBs can go 1, 2 and 3. rumor is the falcons are taking pitts. that leaves 2 Qbs left likely lance and fields. carolina and den are possible. NE will for a QB as well and maybe WFT. I can't see him going that late. but remember when rodgers was a possible 1st overall and fell to the mid 20s? fields could fall. it's surely possible but i doubt it as well. I think he's a bit overrated here because of his speed. If he ran a 4.8 would people still be so hyped on him?

14. legler82

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Mangold probably the most consistent and reliable Jet we had in this century

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I would definitely not use him for any insight on mock drafts. QB eval is where his strength is.

NCJetsfan, patleahy and REVISion like this.
  17. patleahy

Fair point, Borat. Fair point.

18. NCJetsfan

Again we just have to disagree. I don't fully understand his ranking Fields so low, but I believe he is totally sincere in that ranking. He's right that mechanics can be very difficult to change, especially throwing motions for a QB. Fields may have always thrown the ball the same way, and now when he's going to be playing against the toughest competition he has ever faced, he's going to have to change what in his mind got him there? Some are very resistant to making change or simply are unable to because it's too scary, and all their confidence is tied up in how they have thrown the ball. Fields might refuse to change his throwing motion or his QB Coach/OC may not want to mess with that. If so, then that will hamper Fields' effectiveness. It's also part of why he has taken so many sacks. It makes logical sense to me.

Borat and patleahy like this.
  19. patleahy

I respect your opinion, as always, NC. I think the one thing we CAN agree on is that tonight should be fun. Lots of teams looking to move up to grab which one of the top 5 qbs is still available, per recent reports.

20. legler82

His throwing motion:

-has enabled him to be the number 2, 1 for some, HS recruit in the country.
    -out duel the generational Trevor Lawrence for MVP of the Elite 11.
    -go underdefeated in the Big 10 2 years in a row.
    -lead his team to the college playoffs 2 years in a row.
    -lead the nation in air yards 2 years in a row.
    -throw for 67 TDs to just 9 INTs in college while completing just a shade under 70% of his passes.

The accolades go on an on. I think this throwing motion thing just might be a tad bit overrated. We’ll know for certain in a couple of years.

#3260 legler82, Apr 29, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    patleahy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.