2021 NFL Draft - Round 1

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Welcome to official First Round Thread

Jets have 2 picks for the first time in a long time. It’s obvious we are picking a QB with second pick and to me Jets will trade #23 for a first rounder next year and a 3rd rounder.

Let the fun begin!

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Etienne at 23 picking up steam. I know the old adage from 8 years ago says that’s a no-no but sign me right up. There will be quality OL available at 34, there will not be a game-changing skill position player available at 34. This place might meltdown but that would be a phenomenal addition for Wilson.

Rockinz likes this.
  3. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I like Harris better but I’ll never complain about adding a stud playmaker

The Jets do need to address o-line but luckily for us, we’re good at LT and you can find other great olinemen in the mid rounds

4. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I was in the same boat in regards to Etienne as well, and while it still isn't might first choice, the likelihood of Derrasaw, Jenkins and Vera-Tucker all being long gone by 23, makes me a lot more open to the possibility. I know RBs have shorter life spans, but the considering how many first round picks, don't even make it to the 5th year option, I think the concerns about about years 6 and beyond are overblown, especially when you get past the top half of the first round.

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Fuck it...let's go with two playmakers in round 1

Zach Wilson and a RB

Otherwise BPA OL

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I agree. I would love if he falls out of round 1 though

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Seeing on Twitter this morning that that Saints are reportedly interested in trading up.

Let the information/disinformation begin!!!

8. BroadwayAaron

Cant take that risk. Neither he or Harris will be there at 34 and after that there’s a severe drop off. There will be RBs available but none with elite all around still like the two of them

Rockinz likes this.
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It all depends on how the board shakes out. Are AVT/Jenkins/Leatherwood/Bateman/Marshall on the board? If so, I'm taking one of them but if not...that's when that decision gets interesting IMO.

Also, I think Javonte Williams isn't too far below Etienne/Harris but I get your point on the drop-off.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

One of those players will definitely be there but my point is you can get someone as good as those players at 34. You aren’t going to find someone as good as either of the top running backs at 34. I know Williams has a hot name thrown around but I just don’t see him as a game breaking player.

All this being said, I would be extremely surprised if we went with a running back at 23. I don’t think Douglas would spend a first round pick on a player that would play in an offense that has historically relied upon multiple running backs coming on and off the field.

11. deviljets7

Douglas' past stops/influences definitely have a different view on DB/RB than Saleh/LaFleur, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss RB because of the 49ers' RBBC approach.

12. BroadwayAaron

Maybe, but I would certainly hope that the general manager and coaching staff are on the same page. I would assume this is something they discussed long before pen was put the paper.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I could definitely see a situation where no RB's go in the 1st round so maybe you could add 2 great prospects for the offense, one of which being a top tier RB at 34.

I'm a big Javonte Williams fan btw so I would put him in that Tier 1 of RB's. Granted, I don't have him right there with Etienne and Harris but I don't think the drop from those guys to Williams is all that steep.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I would love to have the electric talent on offense but I just don’t see it happening. I think it’s ol,cb,edge or lb at 23

15. BroadwayAaron

I think Harris and Etienne are gone for sure. Pittsburgh and Buffalo will snatch both up. The Etienne stuff could be a smokescreen to get the Bills to jump and if that’s the case, that’s fine with me because someone will slip. But also... sign me right up for Etienne at 23.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  16. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Not sure what will happen. Everything I've seen has possibly 1 RB going in round 1 but not 2 RB's. If one of the OL slips to 23 I'd take him then pick up whichever of Harris or Etienne is available in round 2.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Really hoping for an OL at 23, but would understand a CB. Another edge wouldn't hurt, but I question how big of a need it is compared to others. If they miss an OL at 23, they need to take one at 34. They need to protect Zach Wilson first and foremost and surround him with talent. If that means there's no edge in the draft or it's a scrapped together OLB group, no qualms whatsoever.

18. BroadwayAaron

I just can’t fathom either of them lasting to 34. I think both are gone in the first round but if teams are also gonna have a day to work out a trade up, I think whichever isn’t taken will be gone by 34.

19. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I’ve been saying this for years but we need to help out the young QB as much as possible. Weapons and Oline as much as possible and the defense should be secondary this year in the draft.

What is a good corner going to matter if our rookie QB gets crushed yet again with not much help. Just sign Richard Sherman if you’re that worried and our dline is solid as is...Sure we can use upgrades but surrounding the QB with talent should be the priority and it’s not even close

20. deviljets7

I'm confident they are. Just pointing it out since I don't necessarily buy the "Jets won't go RB because the 49ers never emphasized it" line of thinking.

NCJetsfan likes this.